Which Dragon Quest is the one for me?

#1Swan3624Posted 8/16/2011 3:42:13 PM
I noticed a lot of Dragon Quest games are on sale on Amazon, and I was wondering which one would be the best choice?

Criteria:

-DS game, obviously
- Somewhat easy difficulty... Preferably very easy
- Puzzles are a plus
- I'm completely new to the series
- best story

Of the DS Dragon Quest games, which one would you say fits that criteria the most? I was looking at Dragon Quest V at the moment.
---
If you follow Satan's teachings and are 666% proud of it, post this in your sig.
#2KazereiPosted 8/16/2011 3:43:50 PM
Get both IV and V while you still can.
#3LightHawKnightPosted 8/16/2011 3:51:06 PM
V has the best story imo. Get that.

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
#4robomasteralphaPosted 8/16/2011 3:51:40 PM
IV is fairly straightforward, and I personally think it's easier than V. I'd go with IV, but you might want to get all 3 before they disappear from retail.
---
Now we know...
AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!!!
#5vyseskiesPosted 8/16/2011 3:55:31 PM
IX > all in every aspect.
---
03/24/11 -18:18 PM : We need a Smash bros. sequel with balancing chars and competitive play.
08/11/11- 12:36 PM : This Ridley we know today won't be playable.
#6LightHawKnightPosted 8/16/2011 4:00:15 PM

IX > all in every aspect.

While IX is a good game, you obviously have not played any other DQ to have a thought like that.

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
#71shadetail1Posted 8/16/2011 4:04:09 PM
9 < all in every aspect except graphics. The single player quest was hurt quite severely by the emphasis on multiplayer and sidequests. And each game card has only one save file, which is maddeningly dumb. If you want to replay the quest, you either have to erase all your work, including the possibly unique downloads and dungeon maps you found, or spend $35 on another copy.

Not a bad game, but nowhere near the best of the DQ series.

TC, I'd say either 4 or 5 are your best bets. 6 is actually fairly difficult by comparison, so save that one for last.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#8HawkOfEndymionPosted 8/16/2011 4:09:05 PM
Ngirl posted...
Get both IV and V while you still can.

Oye, please don't tell me these are limited releases.
#9nonexistingheroPosted 8/16/2011 4:11:05 PM
5 has the best story.

Though 9 is the easiest and has most post-game content.

Even so... 5 is a great experience. One of the most unique and best stories in a game ever.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#10AkaimizuPosted 8/16/2011 4:15:09 PM
V is good stuff. Though I also love 9. Of course, I think it's because of the side quest and post-game content. I love post-game content. That, and that DQVC is pretty addictive for those who like collections. The visitors also add some nice aspects to it. 9 is for content collectors, which isn't a bad thing. I've always been a Dungeon Hack/Loot person myself, so 9 satisfies in a big way. I also like the Celestial angle, though I know that alone doesn't make the best story. Just an entertaining one for me.
---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vem Reld (http://server6.uploadit.org/files/greatisgood-Ninja.jpg)