Which Dragon Quest is the one for me?

#11FefnirOmega13Posted 8/16/2011 5:01:12 PM
IX is HUGE. There are more than enough things to do after the thirty-forty hour story is done, and you can make your own characters to boot.

Of the games I've played, if you're looking for longevity, I'd say IX for sure.
---
I love bullet hell games, especially Cave and Touhou.
Patchouli Knowledge for best librarian '10! Pkmn White Code in Quote
#12JP_SartrePosted 8/16/2011 5:06:44 PM
Though 9 is really good, I like the "Multi story" of 4.
---
"I also care about the people that don't care about not caring. If we get on these boards, we all kinda care."
-Perrywinkle97
#13The_BonesPosted 8/16/2011 5:08:38 PM
I would say DQ IV or DQIX is the best place to start. DQIV is the beginning of the loosely connected Zenithia trilogy and has a good story but the DS translation was horrible in my opinion. DQIX is a standalone game, has a decent story, is the easiest DQ (if you're just doing the story and no sidequests), and it has a lot of post game content and can last you quite a while. DQV and DQVI are also very great games though.
#14FoofyheadPosted 8/16/2011 6:12:31 PM
IV-VI are the best games on the DS, right now.

IX doesn't even come close (though still a good game, I even liked Swords more).
---
Are you finished? I've had enough of your speeches.
And, I've had enough of YOU!
#15MWGPosted 8/16/2011 6:23:03 PM
IX only really opens up when you beat the main quest, then you can truly experiment with the classes and get the good equipment, fight the good enemies, etc... And it can be tedious to get everything, since you have to really watch the online shop (it has theme weeks, but some items can only be bought from it and you can also buy uncommon items occasionally there).

IV is alright, but boring in spots (the Torneko Taloon chapter is classic though). V is actually really good, and was hard to find (at a decent price) for a year or two. It really opens up when you get the ability to recruit monsters and find the branching path (three ways to go, but also three save slots so you can save and explore each easily). Haven't gotten very far in VI yet, not to the point of being able to switch jobs.
---
+-MWG-+
#16medmusclePosted 8/16/2011 6:25:22 PM
I am in the middle of DQ5 right now and it's my first playthrough. I thought it was slow at first (the first several hours when you are a child), but once you fast forward 10 years (when you play it you will know what I mean), it starts to get very good. I highly recommend it. It's not entirely linear either. Great game!
---
Own: PS3, PSP, 360, and DS Lite