Nyko Shock N Rock for 3DS

#1Supergamecube14Posted 8/16/2011 11:33:36 PM(edited)
I know that this has been posted a while ago and sparked somewhat of a debate, but I also know we have gotten a lot of new 3DS owners as of late. Two of my largest concerns with the system have been battery life and the softness of the sound in most 3DS games, which I think this device solves pretty well. I don't mean to clutter up the boards, but that being said we're in somewhat of a relative drought with 3DS news and releases this month, so this might give some something to look forward to.

http://www.nyko.com/products/product-detail/?name=Shock+n+Rock

As far as I see it, the bulky and jagged form factor of the Shock N Rock is the only major turnoff. That being said, the grip itself on it seems decent and it does have a certain retro-style quaintness to it. The major pros are the extended battery life (they claim 3X as much), 4 additional speakers and a rumble feature, of which I'm a bit skeptical of myself.

Like I said, I don't usually make new topics, but what are these boards for anyway if not for discussion. Also, I'm aware of Nyko's history with underwhelming and even sometimes defective accessories, but I'm still incredibly attempted to purchase this for $40 seeing the claims it makes. Also, here's a video giving a little bit more of a hands on look at the device, he starts talking about 3DS Accessories around 2:15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jcE_oDZ-Rc

Any thoughts?
---
http://dptrade.proboards91.com/index.cgi For PKMN Wi-Fi
#2LightHawKnightPosted 8/16/2011 11:35:14 PM
Said it before, and shall say it again, it is one ugly looking monster. I wont ever get it, even if getting it would save my 3DS from a total meltdown of some sort. I find the sound just fine, hell I never ever went past halfway on the ds lite sound anyways, or the psp.

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
#3elheberPosted 8/16/2011 11:39:26 PM
I don't get it... how does the thing know when to vibrate if that feedback isn't even programmed into the games?
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
#4Metarius6Posted 8/16/2011 11:41:43 PM(edited)
I just want to know where to buy one, or if it's even out yet. Gamestop and Amazon don't seem to carry it, and according to that site, no retailers in my area sell it.

I agree, it's ugly as all hell, but I rarely play my 3DS around other people anyway.
#5BitentiliPosted 8/16/2011 11:42:04 PM
elheber posted...
I don't get it... how does the thing know when to vibrate if that feedback isn't even programmed into the games?

Its self aware.
---
Not changing this signature until I can think of something better to put as a signature. Started March 20, 2011
#6LightHawKnightPosted 8/16/2011 11:43:50 PM

Its self aware.

So it shall assimilate the 3DS and then go after psps, dses and so forth to become the ultimate of evil handhelds?!

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
#7Supergamecube14(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2011 11:47:14 PM
elheber posted...

I'm not sure about how it does it technically speaking, but basically it looks like it has a "vibration" slider on it and it supposedly is supposed to give the "rumble" feedback based upon the level of the volume in a particular situation. So I guess, for example, if there was a loud explosion in Star Fox 64 3D, it would rumble accordingly. That's one of the major reasons I'm skeptical of that particular feature, however, because there are DEFINITELY louder parts of games that don't neccesarily have to be explosions or things of that nature, so it sounds imperfect. If I end up buying it, I might give it a try, but chances are I'll turn the rumble part off if it's like I believe it will be.

And I agree, it is quite a beast, that's probably the biggest turn off like I said.
---
#8BitentiliPosted 8/16/2011 11:49:32 PM
LightHawKnight posted...
Its self aware.
So it shall assimilate the 3DS and then go after psps, dses and so forth to become the ultimate of evil handhelds?!

It's too late, I hooked this thing up to my 3DS and it won't even let me leave my apartment.
It's drinking all my booze, and eating all my food. I woke up to chains on my front door, what the hell am I going to do?

Do NOT buy this guys, it'll turn your life into a nightmare. brb subway time.
---
Not changing this signature until I can think of something better to put as a signature. Started March 20, 2011
#9elheberPosted 8/16/2011 11:49:52 PM
I don't want my system to vibrate when Slippy's screaming for help. "Snake!?" *rumble* "SNAAAKKEEE!!!" *RUMBLEEEEEE*
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
#10Supergamecube14(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2011 11:54:13 PM
elheber posted...
I don't want my system to vibrate when Slippy's screaming for help. "Snake!?" *rumble* "SNAAAKKEEE!!!" *RUMBLEEEEEE*

That's what I'm afraid of. =P

He says in the video that it's supposedly most responsive to "bass and explosions", so hopefully Slippy's pre-pubecent voice wouldn't set it off, but can't really say lol. Meh, I'll reserve my judgement for when it comes out, but I'll probably give it a shot honestly.
---