Yeah and they say that mobile phones will dominate when.................

#11MyDogSkipPosted 8/17/2011 1:22:05 PM(edited)
There just aren't enough ways to make creative touch gameplay aside from puzzle games. And on-screen buttons are awful; I need the feedback of pushing a button to know it's being pressed.

This is why I've spent thousands of hours playing games on my DS Lite and a few dozen on my iPhone.
---
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
http://backloggery.com/mydogskip93
#12HawkOfEndymionPosted 8/17/2011 1:27:00 PM
I've always said it - you can't get the same kind of gaming experience on an iPhone or an Android that you can on a DS or a PSP. So long as there's a person out there that wants something beyond the mindless touch-based time wasters on a mobile phone, handheld gaming consoles will exist.
#13mcsmellingtonPosted 8/17/2011 1:39:08 PM
HawkOfEndymion posted...
I've always said it - you can't get the same kind of gaming experience on an iPhone or an Android that you can on a DS or a PSP. So long as there's a person out there that wants something beyond the mindless touch-based time wasters on a mobile phone, handheld gaming consoles will exist.

When I'm sick of 'mindless touch based time wasters' on my iPad, I turn on my DS for some hardcore Imagine! Party Babiez. See, I can make stupid sweeping statements too.

There are an ass load of time waster apps on iOS, that's undeniable. However, there are decent games being released, you just have to look for them. They make use of the touch screen, and the lack of physical controls, and to be honest, there are more 'good' games on iOS than on 3DS right now. I know iOS has had a big head start, but that's still pretty shameful considering everyone here drones on about '3DS is a gamez only console, only da gamez matter'.
---
GT: McPoo
#14HawkOfEndymionPosted 8/17/2011 1:56:40 PM
mcsmellington posted...
When I'm sick of 'mindless touch based time wasters' on my iPad, I turn on my DS for some hardcore Imagine! Party Babiez. See, I can make stupid sweeping statements too.

There are an ass load of time waster apps on iOS, that's undeniable. However, there are decent games being released, you just have to look for them. They make use of the touch screen, and the lack of physical controls, and to be honest, there are more 'good' games on iOS than on 3DS right now. I know iOS has had a big head start, but that's still pretty shameful considering everyone here drones on about '3DS is a gamez only console, only da gamez matter'.

I never once brought up the 3DS, because I'm well-aware the amount of fantastic games for that right now can be counted on one hand. The DS and the PSP, however, have the library to back themselves up. Everything has shovelware, there's no two ways around that.

As an Android owner, I can safely say that the amount of games that I will put up there with my DS collection as something I can get into is quite little. Even if there are some gems in there (which I'll admit, there are) and even if the entire available library consisted of those gems, I highly doubt anyone wants to see the mobile phones completely overtake handheld gaming. Not everyone wants a smartphone, or have to deal with wireless plans and providers and their annoying limits they seem all too happy to provide nowadays. Sure, you could go buy the phone at retail and connect it via your Wi-Fi, or you could just grab your DS or PSP and pick up where you left off in Pokemon, Dragon Quest, World Ends With You, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, etc. Even if those franchises have a mobile phone game out, they usually can't seem to quite compare.
#15mcsmellingtonPosted 8/17/2011 2:04:42 PM
HawkOfEndymion posted...
mcsmellington posted...

I never once brought up the 3DS, because I'm well-aware the amount of fantastic games for that right now can be counted on one hand. The DS and the PSP, however, have the library to back themselves up. Everything has shovelware, there's no two ways around that.

As an Android owner, I can safely say that the amount of games that I will put up there with my DS collection as something I can get into is quite little. Even if there are some gems in there (which I'll admit, there are) and even if the entire available library consisted of those gems, I highly doubt anyone wants to see the mobile phones completely overtake handheld gaming. Not everyone wants a smartphone, or have to deal with wireless plans and providers and their annoying limits they seem all too happy to provide nowadays. Sure, you could go buy the phone at retail and connect it via your Wi-Fi, or you could just grab your DS or PSP and pick up where you left off in Pokemon, Dragon Quest, World Ends With You, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, etc. Even if those franchises have a mobile phone game out, they usually can't seem to quite compare.

Yeah I can see why people wouldn't want mobile gaming to take over, but at the same time I can see why it is such a popular option. It just irks me that a lot of people on this board write it off as time wasters, when there are a lot of good games out there, you just have to sift through piles of crap :p

Personally, my iPad is stocked full of great games. I don't see the point in taking out a dedicated handheld; it's just another thing to put in my bag, which has my iPad in it anyway as I use it pretty much all the time. And if a handheld is being taken out anywhere, it sorta defeats the purpose of it. My 3DS goes unused when I'm out, as there's no point in taking it, and unused when I'm in the house as I have access to my 360. I think I've just grown tired of handheld systems >_<
---
GT: McPoo
#16FoofyheadPosted 8/17/2011 2:15:21 PM
Who needs FB when you have GF?
---
Are you finished? I've had enough of your speeches.
And, I've had enough of YOU!
#17HawkOfEndymionPosted 8/17/2011 2:23:36 PM
mcsmellington posted...
Yeah I can see why people wouldn't want mobile gaming to take over, but at the same time I can see why it is such a popular option. It just irks me that a lot of people on this board write it off as time wasters, when there are a lot of good games out there, you just have to sift through piles of crap :p

Personally, my iPad is stocked full of great games. I don't see the point in taking out a dedicated handheld; it's just another thing to put in my bag, which has my iPad in it anyway as I use it pretty much all the time. And if a handheld is being taken out anywhere, it sorta defeats the purpose of it. My 3DS goes unused when I'm out, as there's no point in taking it, and unused when I'm in the house as I have access to my 360. I think I've just grown tired of handheld systems >_<

Well, I know not all of them are mindless time wasters; unfortunately 90% or so of stuff I encounter on the Android Market are. I've had some fun with a few mobile phone games, I'm just more into the hardcore market than the casual one. I'm fairly certain that the stuff available game-wise is mostly similar to what's there for iPhone, maybe a few differences here or there. Also, I'll admit, I typically go for the free versions only because I'd rather save up my money to buy the latest thing I want on...DS, for example. That's just me.
#18ch0ppedinhalfPosted 8/17/2011 2:24:22 PM
iPad
Jailbreak
Icade
Never play 3ds again
---
Steam Mrchopped
psn mrchopped