Is there a point to adding that little side-tab to the 3DS cartridge?

#21robomasteralphaPosted 8/18/2011 2:38:53 AM
MetroidJunkie posted...
Nothing is truly idiot proof, only varying levels of idiot resistant.

I think "hot beverage is hot" disclaimers are proof of that.
---
Now we know...
AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!!!
#22Megaman OmegaPosted 8/18/2011 2:45:07 AM
BraveAdol posted...
That's where they keep the 3D

/topic
---
3D screens.. how do they work? are they similar to magnets? PS: Please no replies from scientists.. you're always lyin, and gettin me pissed.
~ Mario64DStyle
#23L0L_FAQPosted 8/18/2011 2:47:25 AM
BraveAdol posted...
That's where they keep the 3D

This. QFT.
---
http://i51.tinypic.com/10x7xxl.png http://i54.tinypic.com/2rm9quq.jpg
3.33GHz i7 Extreme, 16GB RAM, 4x HD6990
#24BlueFlameBat(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2011 8:46:08 AM(edited)
niels200683 posted...
I've had people calling about devices that constantly shows names and icons on the screen... they actually call with a complaint and need to be told that the screen protector can be removed

Are you referring to that thin filmy slice that covers the screens of new units?
I remember when I first got my Genesis NOMAD and thought the screen was just terribly easy to scratch. After a few minutes of freaking out, I realized that it was a removable cover. I didn't call customer service, but I did sort of panic at first.
---
"There is no escape, John!"
#25gamerguy2800Posted 8/19/2011 8:57:51 AM
It's so people don't try to insert the 3DS game into a DS or DSi system. Plain and simple.
---
GameFAQ's is the best!
#26LightHawKnightPosted 8/19/2011 8:59:06 AM

I think Nintendo prefers to call them "idiot-proof tabs"

Nothing is truly idiot proof, only varying levels of idiot resistant.

This. Too many people out there that are too stupid to live and yet this world lets them live... So more are created by the day and nothing can truly be idiot proof anymore.

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
#27CHEEEESEMANPosted 8/19/2011 9:52:40 AM
niels200683 posted...
a.k.a. Customer service relief.

If they didn't add the tabs, customer could and would have called to Nintendo, claiming their game does not work on their console.

"I bought zelda's legend in 3D, but when I insert the game it does not find it!"
"Please give us the serial number of your 3DS"
"CTR..."
"Sir, that is a DS Lite serial number"
"Yes, I don't need that fancy 3D"
"..."

Um, CTR is the 3DS serial number. DSlite serials begin with USG.
---
"Man how to people figure this stuff out? A rubber band on the R button." - HYPERMECHA
#28LordAndrewPosted 8/19/2011 10:09:04 AM
CHEEEESEMAN posted...

Additionally, games don't use USG because DS Lite doesn't have its own games.

This isn't new. With every new Game Boy Nintendo has modified the cartridge so it cannot be inserted into the previous system. Game Boy Advance cartridges were even modified in a way that years later would allow only them to be inserted into the DS, which was either the result of foresight or just dumb luck on Nintendo's part.
---
Official 3DS Ambassador
Now playing: Atelier Iris 3, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, that game with the mobster on the box
#29BlueFlameBat(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2011 4:37:53 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#30BlueFlameBat(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2011 4:43:47 PM
LordAndrew posted...
CHEEEESEMAN posted...

Additionally, games don't use USG because DS Lite doesn't have its own games.

This isn't new. With every new Game Boy Nintendo has modified the cartridge so it cannot be inserted into the previous system. Game Boy Advance cartridges were even modified in a way that years later would allow only them to be inserted into the DS, which was either the result of foresight or just dumb luck on Nintendo's part.

I get that Nintendo changes designs of their cartridges to prevent them from being used in devices they're not intended for. It just seems kind of unnecessary unless trying to boot the wrong cartridge up could cause damage.

This is simply a subject on my mind that I have an interest in picking apart. Regardless of whatever mood my messages may seem to present, this doesn't keep me awake at nights. I'm telling you think because if someone else made this topic, I'd be wondering what the hell, so I'm essentially answering a question I would have asked.
---
"There is no escape, John!"