Just bought one, question about the battery

#1Lgoron12Posted 8/18/2011 8:31:22 AM
The gamestop employee told me that i should play it until it dies right when i get it out of the box, and then let it charge for 8-10 hours for the best battery life.

is that correct?
---
http://i25.tinypic.com/b6f18p.gif Xbox Live GT: Lgoron12
In Loving Memory of Charles "Big Samus" Abel - Sept 3rd 2009
#2LightHawKnightPosted 8/18/2011 8:33:22 AM
Don't let it die. Generally it comes half charged, so you should charge before use if you want to use it a long time. Letting the battery die kills the battery life.

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
#3lionheart3657Posted 8/18/2011 8:42:29 AM
I would do what the last poster said.
#4Lgoron12(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2011 8:55:54 AM
okay so charge it first huh?
---
#5simondakingPosted 8/18/2011 9:03:05 AM
In the instructions it says to fully charge before first use.
#6Megaman50100Posted 8/18/2011 9:17:00 AM
Fully charging/letting it die doesn't change anything for Lithium-Ion batteries, all that is only used on nickel-cadmium batteries, which aren't used much anymore.
---
move all remaining groundhog mercenaries to the front lines. Have sheep troopers squadrons A and B flank the cows. They're using DC-17 hoof blasters.
#7PlaysaverPosted 8/18/2011 9:18:25 AM
Generaly you charge then run till it's empty then charge again. Then you don't have to do that again. Supposedly this sets the battery charge indicator so the it judges the charge the battery has correctly.
#8pikachupwnagePosted 8/18/2011 9:26:39 AM
Lgoron12 posted...
The gamestop employee told me that i should play it until it dies right when i get it out of the box, and then let it charge for 8-10 hours for the best battery life.

is that correct?

don't listen to some stupid employee at some dumb store read the **** manual and PLEASE Stop wasting time with these questions you should already know the answer to. charge before playing the first time and don't the the battery die.
---
3DS ambassador member of the Extraordinary League of Nuzlockers
#9EoinPosted 8/18/2011 9:29:58 AM
These are the 3 things that can damage a lithium ion battery:

- Time. No avoiding this one.

- Being fully drained. The system turns itself off before it's fully drained, specifically to prevent this from happening. The only way for the battery to properly drain is for it to be left for a while, uncharged, so just don't do that.

- Extreme heat or cold.

Other than this, don't worry about the battery. Charge it when you like. Don't worry about needing to charge it for a while when you open the box: you don't, and failing to do so will absolutely not harm the battery in any way. Don't worry about using it for hours at a time. Don't worry about charging it partially, or charging it when it's still fairly full.

Please also remember that most people, when giving advice about batteries, either are simply following the manual (which is misleading), or giving advice that would be good advice...if the battery were a NiCad or MiMH battery, which it isn't.
#10Lgoron12(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2011 9:56:04 AM
oh, so i dont have to charge it full anymore either? i already started charging it so i guess ill just leave it in there for the full charge.

also, to pikachupwnage, seriously man, get over it. Sorry that i wasted your time, but you didnt even have to come into the topic tbh, get over yourself.

thanks to everyone else, im really excited that i got one, cant wait for some better games to come out!
---