Is Mercenaries worth the $40?

#1scorejunkiePosted 8/19/2011 12:29:48 PM
All I have at the moment is Ridge Racer and want another game until the holidays. From the videos I've seen on YouTube, the gameplay seems a bit dull, kind of like an iPhone game with the way the controls seem to work. What is your opinion on the game?

Thanks.
#2Ambassador_KongPosted 8/19/2011 12:33:49 PM
No. It is basically a $40 mini game. And, you can't erase your save data. Why would you want to reward Capcom for 1) killing Mega Man 2) releasing a mini game for $40 3) making it impossible to erase your data.
---
Nintendo made me an ambassador, does that mean I have diplomatic immunity?
#3DarkKamonGPosted 8/19/2011 12:40:56 PM
I've got 40 hours of enjoyment out of it, and will get more when I finish playing my other games.

I have several PS3 games that have kept me entertained far less (Uncharted 1+2 combined: roughly 30 hours) so it depends on your tastes.
#4greenrick41Posted 8/19/2011 12:41:02 PM
I got it. I love it & thinks it's worth it!
---
PSN: greenrick41
3DS: 3866-8148-1134
#5KorlithielPosted 8/19/2011 12:41:28 PM
Those reasons aside, it plays fine. I would only suggest the game if you have a friend who is also getting it, since local area or online multiplayer with a friend are the biggest reasons to get it. I do occasionally enjoy playing with a stranger as well, but nothing compares to gaming with friends.
---
Please do not feed the trolls, mark & move on.
#6laxnd23Posted 8/19/2011 12:54:39 PM
Ambassador_Kong posted...
No. It is basically a $40 mini game. And, you can't erase your save data. Why would you want to reward Capcom for 1) killing Mega Man 2) releasing a mini game for $40 3) making it impossible to erase your data.

Reason 1 doesn't apply to Resident Evil, it applies to Mega Man, which had one game canceled not the whole franchise. That's like saying don't buy an Activision game because they axed Guitar Hero.

Reason 2 is true. It is based off of a minigame from Resident Evil 4 and 5. That said, they managed to flesh out the experience into a very enjoyable arcade-like game. Yes, they don't have characters like Leon Kennedy, but Capcom has hinted at DLC as a possibility down the road.

Reason 3 really doesn't apply to this type of game. If it was something like Mario, then I would agree. But the style of game is very much like an arcade game, in which you usually cannot erase save data either.

I would say buy it. I have it, I enjoy it very much. The game can prove challenging at times and is very fun. It also has a demo of the Resident Evil Revelations game, but that should not be the selling point as it is only 5 minutes long and 3 enemies long.
---
xbox gamertag: lonewolfnd
#7stromvancouverPosted 8/19/2011 12:56:33 PM
It looks like Merc is going on sale next week for $20 at best buy.
http://mynintendonews.com/2011/08/19/nintendo-3ds-best-buy-selling-resident-evil-mercenaries-3d-and-other-top-games-for-20-next-week/
---
3DS FC: 4081-5497-5635
In my opinion, the 3DS can make pop-tarts.
#8brementerPosted 8/19/2011 1:03:18 PM
Ambassador_Kong posted...

This is a tired argument. I took the dive and purchased it about 2 weeks ago on vacation and I'm still loving it. great game!!!! Ignore the hate and pick it up.
---
3Ds Friend Code 0044-2890-2487 Remmy
#9Sol_ClydePosted 8/19/2011 1:03:25 PM
laxnd23 posted...

to Mega Man, which had one game canceled not the whole franchise.

The thing is, they weren't/aren't doing anything else with Megaman at all.
So the franchise is given as dead.
---
"Iwata say one God
"in the game, still has 10 hours to 20 hours without a battery and a game I would not make sense at all""
#10X_Colbert_XPosted 8/19/2011 1:08:34 PM

As an Official Resident Evil Historian (TM), I must say this game is worth every dollar.

That is of course you can get past the fact that it is meant to be played as a fun arcade game in portable form. There is no story. There is no end to the game. That being said, there is a lot of fun to be had in this package, all for a measily 40 USD. There are 30 skills (aka Perks) that can be unlocked and used to give your character extra benefits (i.e. add lightning properties to your melee, increased time bonuses, etc.). Each of these skills have three levels to them that are increased via using them in combat (most skills also have an extra bonus at level 3). Levels are somewhat limited on paper, but the day/sunset/night effects really do help to make each stage feel "fresh." The cast of characters is also fantastic and varied quite a bit. Unlockable costumes are a great bonus, as are the EX (difficult) missions. Online/Local co-op is a great feature that really ramps up the fun factor.

In short, if you enjoy the gameplay, you'll find this game is definitely worth the purchase!

Btw, if you have a K-Mart nearby, you can pick this up (or any other 3DS software) for 30 dollars this week.