First-party DS Year One vs. First-party 3DS Year One, a side-by-side comparision

#1Snoopdawwg22Posted 8/19/2011 6:01:43 PM
DS
Super Mario 64 DS (released 11/21/04)
WarioWare: Touched!
Yoshi Touch & Go
Pokémon Dash
Polarium
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Meteos
Nintendogs (4 versions)
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Trace Memory
Metroid Prime Pinball
Mario Kart DS (released 11/14/05)

3DS
nintendogs + cats (3 versions, released 03/27/11)
Pilotwings Resort
Steel Diver
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Star Fox 64 3D
Pokémon Rumble Blast
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Luigi's Mansion 2 (likely to be released by 03/27/11)

I think 3DS takes it due to Kid Icarus: Uprising and Luigi's Mansion 2. Think about it.

Neutral:
The Mario Karts and nintendogs cancel each other out.

Pro 3DS:
+Pokemon Rumble Blash is a greater Pokemon spinoff than Pokemon Dash.
+Ocarina Of Time & Star Fox 64 ports are better than a Mario 64 port.
+Downloadable first-party games to this date include 11 GameBoy games, 3 3D classics, and a free Pokedex 3D, with promises of 3D Classics Twinbee and Super Mario Land 2/Metroid 2. More unannounced classics extremely likely.
+A new Mario!

Pro DS:
+Trace Memory and Meteos were better new IPs than Steel Diver.
+Kirby Canvas Curse was a better addition to a classic series than Pilotwings: Resort.
+Polarium & Metroid Prime Pinball would've likely been downloadable games if they released for the 3DS, so I'm pitting these two up against the 3DS downloadable lineup to ensure commentary on every game listed above.
+A new WarioWare & Advance Wars!

What do you think? I do think if you included Mario & Luigi 2 and Animal Crossing: Wild World (both of which released before the end of 2005), the lineups are essentially equal.

So just WHY is the 3DS treated so harshly?
---
Yes, I really am the sage Luigi In His Mansion.
"Snoopdawwg22 is my hero." - Bigdoug14, 02/04/04
#2TulkiPosted 8/19/2011 6:04:05 PM(edited)
I think you should wait a year until those other first party 3DS games can be judged.

From demo impressions, Kid Icarus was pretty widely regarded as feeling incomplete, with sloppy controls and extremely basic gameplay. Those problems will probably be fixed, but it's not a guarantee.
---
Blue Wizard is about to die!
... Red Knight shot the food!
#3MagoziPosted 8/19/2011 6:04:59 PM
Snoopdawwg22 posted...
Luigi's Mansion 2 (likely to be released by 03/27/11)

LUIGI'S MANSION 2 RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED!!!

SET TO RELEASE....Almost four months ago.... -.-
#4SSJ4CHRISPosted 8/19/2011 6:07:03 PM(edited)
Kid Icarus and Lugi's Mansion (I guess) are still unannounced. So they don't count.
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225
PSN: phayro_rip
#5theabominationPosted 8/19/2011 6:13:28 PM
"+Ocarina Of Time & Star Fox 64 ports are better than a Mario 64 port."

Super Mario 64 DS was not a port. It had three new playable characters (with a few missions different from the original game), loads of all new mini games, and even a multiplayer mode. It had more new content than OoT3D and Star Fox 64 3D combined.
---
'You want more play time, put it in the system and play it again.' -Canine Philosopher
#6mcsmellingtonPosted 8/19/2011 6:15:02 PM
theabomination posted...
"+Ocarina Of Time & Star Fox 64 ports are better than a Mario 64 port."

Super Mario 64 DS was not a port. It had three new playable characters (with a few missions different from the original game), loads of all new mini games, and even a multiplayer mode. It had more new content than OoT3D and Star Fox 64 3D combined.

Agreed.
---
GT: McPoo
#7wave1000Posted 8/19/2011 6:20:50 PM
Well Advance wars DS still has more game play and things to do then any 3DS game out so ya that game alone kinda makes it hard to call it for 3DS. But we should wait a year at least we will have another RE and a Tekken. the DS got little in the terms of fighters so this may be the deciding factor since that a whole new genre that was not in the DS one year in.
---
3DS FC 004427725163
#8EndgamePosted 8/19/2011 6:48:51 PM
+Ocarina Of Time & Star Fox 64 ports are better than a Mario 64 port.
remakes with no new content whatsoever are better than a remake with plenty of new content, including three new playable characters?

your opinion is void
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#9KilaybayPosted 8/19/2011 7:00:01 PM
Meteos isn't first party, isn't there a Meteos on the XBox?

Checked, yeah, Meteos Wars, on XBLA. Doesn't count. Still a cool game.
---
Hey.
Apathy isn't really a valid reason to make yourself look dumb and then get upset when people call you dumb.
#10Snoopdawwg22(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2011 1:07:00 PM
^ The original Meteos was published by Nintendo. Ergo, it was first-party, and counts.

I owned SM64DS and don't own OOT3D or plan to pick up SF643D, and even so I'd still absolutely rate them higher, even despite having almost no new content (boss rush and Master Quest for OOT, upgraded multiplayer for SF64), than Super Mario 64 DS. The controls in the game were gimped due to the lack of an analog stick on the DS. I've yet to replay the game on 3DS, but we're comparing the years 2004/05 to 2011/12, without hindsight.

I forgot to mention Yoshi Touch & Go in my first post. That was really an awesome tech demo. I'd really appreciate it if Nintendo would put out more smaller games like this showcasing the 3DS on the eshop, but it looks like we won't be getting any original first-party content besides the Pokedex 3D on there until The Rolling Western & Picture Lives! in 2012.

I also forgot to add the DSiWare library to the list of 3DS Pros, and backwards compatibility with GBA to DS Pros.

I'm still taking 3DS by a nose. I fail to see how any of the big 4 (SM3DL, MK7, KI:U, LM2), could be a disappointment.
---
Yes, I really am the sage Luigi In His Mansion.
"Snoopdawwg22 is my hero." - Bigdoug14, 02/04/04