save trouble: losing progress in Link's Awakening

#1stop3Posted 8/19/2011 7:12:00 PM
My son and I are each using different save slots in Link's Awakening. We save by pressing select, start,A and B usually, but sometimes we use the restore game state function too.

We are each finding periodically that we've lost our progress from the previous session.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think we're losing our progress when we press the power button after saving instead of returning to the home menu? Or maybe it could be happening when we chose "reset" from the game restore menu?

Does anybody know?
#2LordAndrewPosted 8/19/2011 7:17:12 PM
stop3 posted...
sometimes we use the restore game state function too.

Disable Restore Points immediately. Loading one will immediately cause the game's save to revert to that point. Just like I've been trying to warn people.
---
Official 3DS Ambassador
Now playing: Atelier Iris 3, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, that game with the mobster on the box
#3NekoakumaPosted 8/19/2011 7:18:46 PM
Using savestates resets the battery save to what it was when the savestate was made.
At least, that's how I understand it.

ie;

Normal save @ 20mins
Save state @ 30mins
Normal save @ 1 hour
Load savestae @ 1hr05min

It will load the savestate at 30mins, where the battery save was only 20mins. Effectively losing 40mins.
---
JPN Black 3DS (Launch) / OoT, Layton: Mask of Miracle, TotAbyss, Ridge, nintendogs,SFIV, Pokemon Scramble
VC Games: SML, Dodgeball, Adventure Island 2
#4stop3(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2011 7:33:07 PM
So... if my son plays, then I play, then I make a new restore point... using that new restore point shouldn't undo the progress that he made, right? Just don't use a previous restore point that was created BEFORE the other player saved and we should be alright. Right?
#5PlaysaverPosted 8/19/2011 7:48:38 PM(edited)
Hitting the Power button will cause your games most recent save not to be saved to the 3ds.
You have to hit the home button. If you don't even though you did hit the correct buttons to save the game without using a restore point, hitting the power button bypasses being able to save the save to your 3ds's sd card.
Always end the game by using the save buttons combination and then save. If your going to use the save state, say before a boss, make sure you never end the game at that point. Beat the boss collect the stuff you get after that then save correctly. (This wouldn't be a problem if we could have more save state points, and aways be able to load the one that was yours.)
Always shutdown the game using the home button after having used the games save function. I'd say making a game save state right after you've had the game make it's save, but before using the home button would keep things in order.
#6stop3(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2011 7:44:50 PM
Okay, that is incredibly dumb. A completed save should not be undone by turning the system off. That's just really really bad design.
#7SkyCrackersPosted 8/19/2011 7:47:54 PM
stop3 posted...
Okay, that is incredibly dumb. A completed save should not be undone by turning the system off. That's just really really bad design.

I agree. Just remember not to use restore points. When you load one, it reverts all your save data to how it was when you made the restore point.
---
Best 2D Mario game: Mario vs. Donkey Kong.
#8NekoakumaPosted 8/19/2011 9:53:00 PM
There should be more info in the included manual regarding savestaes.
---
JPN Black 3DS (Launch) / OoT, Layton: Mask of Miracle, TotAbyss, Ridge, nintendogs,SFIV, Pokemon Scramble
VC Games: SML, Dodgeball, Adventure Island 2
#9mjc0961Posted 8/20/2011 12:10:14 AM

Disable Restore Points immediately. Loading one will immediately cause the game's save to revert to that point. Just like I've been trying to warn people.

I agree. Just remember not to use restore points. When you load one, it reverts all your save data to how it was when you made the restore point.

Which is the entire point of a restore point. You're saying "don't use restore points because they're functioning properly".

Restore points are so you can do a quick save and reload if you screw up. They are not meant to replace the game's normal save feature. Don't tell people not to use them, educate them on the difference between the two.
---
YOU'RE a pie chart.
#10stop3(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2011 5:02:02 AM
I'm not going to stop using save states, I'm just going to stop restoring from an earlier save after my son has played.