turn 20$ into 50$ thx gamestop!

#51KogaSteelfangPosted 8/21/2011 9:41:36 AM
It's stealing.
Just because you're stealing from a monopoly doesn't matter.

It's not even ambiguous. You're taking money from Wal-Mart that you don't deserve.

They are immediately losing $50 to you. It doesn't matter if they'll get it back later or not, you're still stealing that money from them.

Abusing return policies to get a good deal is one thing, outright thievery isn't good.

I suppose if the bank made an error and withdrew money from your account, instead of mine, would be fine too.
I mean eventually you'll get the money back afterall, on your next payday.
---
The following statement is false.
The previous statement is true.
#52restlessrobotPosted 8/21/2011 10:24:37 AM
This is 100% not stealing.

While I do not do this sort of activity, I cannot see how anyone could possibly consider this stealing.

You are purchasing an item at a store which values it to be $20. This obviously isn't stealing.

At Walmart, they are receiving an item from you which they value at $50. Considering this, if the value of the item in their eyes $50 and they give you $50(credit) for the item, this is an even exchange.

All transactions have been performed through processes which the retailers have set up for you to use. There is no stealing involved.

Guys, this is just a extremely basic example of how people can use various local economies to their advantage.
---
The only thing wrong with good food is it's gone after you eat it.
#53FrankGrimeyPosted 8/21/2011 10:39:05 AM

We had one guy that would always buy games that we had one copy left of, go out to his car, then come back in and say the disk was gone.

LMAO...what the hell?
---
I'm better than okay. I'm Homer Simpson.
#54DT-FoxPosted 8/21/2011 10:44:02 AM
aguywithabroom posted...
This is 100% not stealing.

While I do not do this sort of activity, I cannot see how anyone could possibly consider this stealing.

You are purchasing an item at a store which values it to be $20. This obviously isn't stealing.

At Walmart, they are receiving an item from you which they value at $50. Considering this, if the value of the item in their eyes $50 and they give you $50(credit) for the item, this is an even exchange.

All transactions have been performed through processes which the retailers have set up for you to use. There is no stealing involved.

Guys, this is just a extremely basic example of how people can use various local economies to their advantage.

And this is where the moral standpoint differs. Some are seeing it as a system that is conveniently set up to be taken advantage of. For other folks, its a misuse or "playing" of the system.

Its a Return Policy. Not a Trading or Exchange policy, not a Get Somewhere Else and Give It to Us Policy (even though that's not what the policy implies or discourage). The many of us are convinced that the fact that they accept returns without a receipt is just part of the "Honor System". That system doesn't mean much if its taken advantage of.

And for many of us, its not 100% about the act of doing it, its acting like there's absolutely nothing wrong with it and encouraging other folks to partake, that's the problem. The mentality of, "Its alright of no one gets hurt/arrested/caught/charged." wont really end well if done on a mass scale...
---
Next Let's Play: TBA
http://www.youtube.com/user/DTFaux
#55SmartkickPosted 8/21/2011 10:45:13 AM
It's during these kinds of things I wish I could drive. That's a net profit of $30 from each individual Wal-Mart and I have like 10 within a 3-mile radius of my area.
#56restlessrobotPosted 8/21/2011 12:36:31 PM
DT-Fox, I agree with you entirely. I was just attempting to explain why this can't and should not be called stealing.

And you're right about this having extremely adverse effects on a mass scale. We see it all around us as several entities, including the US, walk the fine morality line during economic transactions.

As we all know, it hasn't really worked out well...
---
The only thing wrong with good food is it's gone after you eat it.