Honestly, abandoning the 3DS in favor of a redesigned system isn't crazy

#1TrekCyclingPosted 8/23/2011 12:05:57 PM
The 3DS is a confusing system to many consumers. No, not people on this message board. But regular folks who don't read gaming websites or listen to gaming podcasts. Many of the people I know who might be in the market for a handheld for their kids think the 3DS is just another redesign of the DS like the DSi. They don't see it as a new product, just another DS with more capabilities. Given this and given the response to 3D has been "meh" and 3D in generally is doing poorly it wouldn't be crazy for Nintendo to do something this radical.

They could create a system with 3DS and DS compatibility and make sure out of the gate that it's named something else. DS2, whatever. Something so that consumers know definitively that this is the next Nintendo handheld. Right now in many regions the original DS is still outselling the 3DS. Consumers are confused and Nintendo wouldn't be nuts to pull the eject lever sooner rather than later and focus on a gaming platform that had a definitive purpose and messaging.
---
XBox Live Gamer Tag: DSGamerish - PSN: DSGamerGWJ
#2PkjoanPosted 8/23/2011 12:06:57 PM
Get out!
---
Nintendo 3DS- Nintendo found 3 ways to Destroy Sony
Official Nintendo 3DS Ambassador
#3Grandy12Posted 8/23/2011 12:08:43 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to just rename 3DS to DS2, then?
---
Relevance is a prerequisite for cleverness. ~ LHS_2012
JUS: 4382-1831-2782 Brawl: 4382 7053 3006
#4OmegaZero633Posted 8/23/2011 12:09:16 PM
Fair enough, but I have one question:

Did you buy a 3DS at launch or at all?
---
My 3DS FC is 4854-6508-4956.
Let me know if you want to add me so I can add you. :)
#5TerotrousPosted 8/23/2011 12:09:45 PM
Name doesn't matter. The games will do this for them.

Once people figure out that you need the 3DS to play Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land, they'll see the value of the device, whether they think it's just another DS revision or not.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GEN Puggsy"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#6thanthenPosted 8/23/2011 12:11:26 PM
It's the smartest thing nintendo can do, 3ds flopped hard.
---
Rock is fine, scissors are overpowered.
-paper
#7PokeMasterPosted 8/23/2011 12:11:28 PM
TrekCycling posted...
The 3DS is a confusing system to many consumers. No, not people on this message board. But regular folks who don't read gaming websites or listen to gaming podcasts. Many of the people I know who might be in the market for a handheld for their kids think the 3DS is just another redesign of the DS like the DSi. They don't see it as a new product, just another DS with more capabilities. Given this and given the response to 3D has been "meh" and 3D in generally is doing poorly it wouldn't be crazy for Nintendo to do something this radical.

They could create a system with 3DS and DS compatibility and make sure out of the gate that it's named something else. DS2, whatever. Something so that consumers know definitively that this is the next Nintendo handheld. Right now in many regions the original DS is still outselling the 3DS. Consumers are confused and Nintendo wouldn't be nuts to pull the eject lever sooner rather than later and focus on a gaming platform that had a definitive purpose and messaging.

Factor in the economy, the fact taht the DSL/i are cheaper and have a larger library base, and the until recently higher price point of the 3DS.

I don't see a problem as to why the DS is outselling the 3DS in some areas.
---
JPN Black 3DS (Launch) / OoT, Layton: Mask of Miracle, TotAbyss, Ridge, nintendogs,SFIV, Pokemon Scramble
VC Games: SML, Dodgeball, Adventure Island 2
#8toma13Posted 8/23/2011 12:16:00 PM
No, announcing a redesign now would be incredibly stupid. It would kill potential Christmas sales, which is the biggest sales season in the year. It would undercut the release of all major 3DS title to be released over Christmas, killing many of those sales as well. It would kill the momentum that they just gained from the price cut, which has just caused a huge spike in 3DS sales. It makes absolutely no sense to announce a redesign right now. None. IF a redesign is being worked on, we won't hear about it until February or March, after Nintendo has made their money off the Christmas season.
---
Username for pretty much everything: BngryBt
#9Dragon lord27Posted 8/23/2011 12:17:58 PM
Nobody knew the Gameboy Advance wasn't just a new Gameboy either.

The masses aren't that stupid.
---
The PS3 and 360 can battle each other over who's breasts look more realistic.
The Wii is all about having fun with them. ~Girl Gamer~
#10LightHawKnightPosted 8/23/2011 12:19:02 PM

Nobody knew the Gameboy Advance wasn't just a new Gameboy either.

The masses aren't that stupid.

They are, they really really really are.

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."