Honestly, abandoning the 3DS in favor of a redesigned system isn't crazy

#11blazeUP12Posted 8/23/2011 12:31:40 PM
If they do redesign the handheld, they should improve the graphics as well
---
hello earthlings, i am from another planet
#12RandomHeroPosted 8/23/2011 1:06:18 PM
I've not talked to one person who thought the 3DS is just another DS.

the 3DS is outpacing the DS and the holiday season is still to come. not to mention Mario Kart and other major games.

the TGS announcements will be very disappointing (relative to how much Nintendos stock just jumped). I expect a new Pokemon game (Grey?) to be the biggest announcement.

if Nintendo abandoned the 3DS they'd be abandoning the little 3rd party support they have. they'd be abandoning their biggest fans, and the companies stock would tank. use your head before spreading dumb rumors.
---
so
#13fire2boxPosted 8/23/2011 1:15:46 PM(edited)
toma13 posted...
No, announcing a redesign now would be incredibly stupid. It would kill potential Christmas sales, which is the biggest sales season in the year. It would undercut the release of all major 3DS title to be released over Christmas, killing many of those sales as well. It would kill the momentum that they just gained from the price cut, which has just caused a huge spike in 3DS sales. It makes absolutely no sense to announce a redesign right now. None. IF a redesign is being worked on, we won't hear about it until February or March, after Nintendo has made their money off the Christmas season.

Unless production of the redesign is already underway.
Unless the price drop was meant to liquidate all remaining original 3DS inventory. Considering it's the steepest price drop in nintendo's video game console making history, it seems likely.

Sony did the same thing with the PS3. Lack luster sales so they dropped the price, killed the SKU and came out with a new one with dropped PS2 support. The comparisons are really uncanny. Both were gawked at as being to high of a price for doing so little and offering hardly any decent games. So far it's paid off for sony as well.
---
"If you find something that you feel you belong to, become a groupie and a fan, and then a critic." Starlee Kine
#14chaomaster4000Posted 8/23/2011 1:16:07 PM
fire2box posted...
Unless production of the redesign is already underway.
Unless the price drop was meant to liquidate all remaining original 3DS inventory. Considering it's the steepest price drop in nintendo's video game console making history, it seems likely.

Nintendo just released the Flare Red 3DS in the US. Why would they release a new colour if they're trying to get rid of old stock?
---
chao master four thousand
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6045/stpcombo.jpg
#15TrekCycling(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2011 1:27:12 PM
OmegaZero633 posted...
Fair enough, but I have one question:

Did you buy a 3DS at launch or at all?

I did buy a 3DS at launch. I've bought every Nintendo handheld (including redesigns) since the original GBA, at launch. I love Nintendo handhelds. Just don't love the 3DS.

LightHawKnight posted...
Nobody knew the Gameboy Advance wasn't just a new Gameboy either.

The masses aren't that stupid.
They are, they really really really are.

Indeed. People forget but the GBA did okay in part because the carts were different. That's an easy way to tell the systems are different. Additionally it was messaged better as being a distinct system, showing all the SNES-level games you could play. Furthermore, the GBA really took off with the SP, which looked distinctly like a new system.
---
XBox Live Gamer Tag: DSGamerish - PSN: DSGamerGWJ
#16LordAndrewPosted 8/23/2011 1:32:05 PM
blazeUP12 posted...
If they do redesign the handheld, they should improve the graphics as well

You mean kill it off entirely and release the successor to the 3DS already? This is the best idea so far!
---
Official 3DS Ambassador
Now playing: Atelier Iris 3, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, that game with the mobster on the box