Could the ambassador program have been planned all along?

#1shlaguedweirPosted 8/24/2011 8:09:13 AM
Honestly... there's no way they didn't know 250$ was too high for a Nintendo handheld. They also knew that their big name games would take a while to reach the stores.

They might have purposefully set the price too high so only the die-hard fans would get it at first, and then come in with the spectacular price drop and a program that sends people to the eShop and make people talk about the 3DS again.

They announce free games, but only half of them to fuel speculation and anticipation. Then they announce an "announcement", and rumors start going crazy.

We are now in the second 3DS launch craze. Just look at the Internet. So many people talking about it. Crazy predictions like "Nintendo is doomed", "Mario on smartphones" or "redesigned 3DS in stores in 5 minutes".

If I'm right, it's pure genius and it's working wonderfully. Sales have exploded and people are excited about the 3DS again. Nintendo will rule the holiday shopping period.
#2scrahfyPosted 8/24/2011 8:09:53 AM
whoa...thats awesome =) thanks for the tip!
#3GeekyDadPosted 8/24/2011 8:13:32 AM
I think there's a high probability that there were one or two Nintendo beancounters who warned the higher-ups that the price might be too steep, but I don't think it's likely they planned the Ambassador Program scenario ahead of time.

You have to remember -- the earthquake in Japan not only shook the physical foundation of that country but the economic foundation of the world. The world economy has already been in a tailspin since 2008 due to a Wall Street crisis. I don't think Nintendo are alone in scrambling to deal with current markets.
---
"The hardcore you've been waiting for!"
#4thundercat2600Posted 8/24/2011 8:15:59 AM
Nice conspiracy theory, but I don't buy it.

IMO: Nintendo honestly believed 3DS would be a smash hit at $250. They honestly expected it to sell out and become a phenomenon like the Wii and DS Lite were. Their greed, and extraordinary luck in the recent past, made them get cocky.

What we are seeing is Nintendo in panic mode.
#5EoinPosted 8/24/2011 10:00:28 AM
You only have to look at the missing features on the NES and GBA games (and the fact that we know for certain that the NES games will be updated later) to know that the price cut, announcement, and ambassador programme were all rush jobs. There's no way a carefully planned scheme would look so much like a panic move - at the very least it would scare investors (which it did) and no company would actively seek to do that.
#6MattperdPosted 8/24/2011 10:02:42 AM
Yeah, it was a Panic move.

But holy cow did they make it seem smooth.

All the backlash, and hate- and still managed to keep the fans happy while making it look easy.

...I just realized the bait I just threw out there...
---
Poke' Black: 4555 9840 5971
"The epitome of a douche move would be to allow N64 games in 3D classics, then add like, StarFox and OoT." - PhantomSword