Does anyone actually LIKE Nintendo and what they're doing...? (Both Sides plz)

#51Yusuke UrameshiPosted 8/26/2011 1:12:37 AM
I don't have a 3DS yet, but I want one. The rumblings about a redesign give me pause, though. Normally I'd pay them no heed, but Nintendo has shown itself to be desperate: the 3DS hasn't turned lead into gold like they expected, and they're likely to do something crazy to try and make the public love it. Mark my words: the price cut is only the first step.

The bottom line here is that the 3DS is crippled compared to the Vita. And I'm not talking about the higher-res screen or the twin sticks. I'm talking about three things that have become the cornerstone of Nintendo's approach to gaming and a millstone around their chances of success:

1. Friend Codes. I don't care if the 3DS simplifies them; they are an abomination and need to be destroyed utterly in favor of a real online system.

2. Region lock. You know why 3DS has region lock? Parental controls. Now, if that isn't a wag-the-dog mentality, I don't know what is. If the pirates figure out how to hack a 3DS before Nintendo legitimately kills region locking themselves, it will serve them right.

3. Downloads tied to hardware. If my PS3/PSP/PSV gets lost/stolen/destroyed, as long as I have my login data, I have access to all my download games. If my Wii/DSi/3DS gets lost/stolen/destroyed, I have jack squat, because all my purchases were tied to that system and now I have to rebuy everything.

So yeah. I couldn't care less about twin sticks or a revamped screen. If Nintendo can deliver these three things, even if 3DS still can't fight Vita on equal terms, they'll at least earn a lot of respect.
---
We're in the deep end of the philo/theological pool here, and THE LIFEGUARD JUST WENT ON BREAK.
#52fire2boxPosted 8/26/2011 2:18:06 AM
I don't like them.

1. I bought a Wii at launch (thankfully no problems with it hardware wise.) however Nintendo never put many good games onto it that I want. SMG, SMG2 are middle of the road okay games with a few great worlds sprinkled in.

2. Hacking in Mario Kart wii and all the l33t players in it, stops making it fun to play at all anymore. Same with any FPS. In general any wi-fi game is pretty much killed by hackers and Nintendo doesn't care at all about it, period. the other 3 platforms deal with hackers nicely. Nintendo not following suit proves they don't care about their clients.

3. The 3DS has been a flop in sales after a massive per-launch blitz. there seems to be as many ports on it as there are new games. with most of the new games being lame at best, including nintendos. Pilot wings, nintendogs+ cats.

4. Nintendo din't lower the price because they wanted to. they did it because they had to.
If Nintendo still had it's way we would be pay 70 dollars more for what consumers are saying simply isn't worth it. Nintendo even admitted the reason why it was 249.99 was from the reactions at E3. Their pulling a Apple, charing more simply because it's a nintendo machine and its "cool".

Well so far it's not cool for anybody. Not Nintendo, Not consumers and not Dev's,
---
"If you find something that you feel you belong to, become a groupie and a fan, and then a critic." Starlee Kine
#53medmusclePosted 8/26/2011 8:10:35 AM
Mattperd posted...

I don't understand, could you elaborate what it is they did to make you feel they're difficult? Most would think they always breath something really unique, even with their normal franchises. Super Metroid, and Metroid Prime. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past to Wind Waker. Mario 64 to Galaxy- all of these are completely different to each other. Even though people may say that it's the same thing if they're only looking at the name, if you replaced Mario with any random character- you could never tell they're the same in a series.

I'm NOT saying you're wrong though. I just want to understand what you mean about old and tiresome games, while they as a company have been difficult (With Nintendo having the reputation to have the best customer support out of the big 3).

I typed up a lengthy post explaining everything but my browser crapped out on me. I really don't feel like re-typing it over again right now but rest-assured, I will type it up again sometime this weekend.
---
Own: PS3, PSP, 360, and DS Lite
#54Second_ChancesPosted 8/26/2011 10:42:33 AM
Don't care. I already have four games that are AAA to me.
---
Second Chances sure are great. It's nice to be back, GameFAQs.
http://backloggery.com/Ground
#55Mattperd(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2011 10:43:33 AM
Think ill give this a bump.
---
OBJECTION! ... in 3D!
"I'd like to see even MORE babies just to watch all the analpain that would commence" - Second_Chances
#56RoyMaster4Posted 8/27/2011 10:53:02 AM
I'm fine with what Nintendo has been doing. The only problem I had was the lack of a solid 3DS game at launch (I don't like fighting games). At least the normal DS had Super Mario 64 DS, which was an excellent remake that I've beaten many times over, even more than OoT. That one game held me over a long time. The 3DS didn't have a game like that until OoT 3D, though I did enjoy CN:PTE quite a lot.
---
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198023511833
Pokemon White FC: 1420-6147-6059
#57Baha05Posted 8/27/2011 10:55:48 AM
RoyMaster4 posted...
I'm fine with what Nintendo has been doing. The only problem I had was the lack of a solid 3DS game at launch (I don't like fighting games). At least the normal DS had Super Mario 64 DS, which was an excellent remake that I've beaten many times over, even more than OoT. That one game held me over a long time. The 3DS didn't have a game like that until OoT 3D, though I did enjoy CN:PTE quite a lot.

Like I've said though, the fact that they launched it in March was a big mistake because there are two factors for lack of games:

1. Summer

2. 3rd Party Devs waiting to see the sales.