I think Sony's strategy is a little better.

#1TeremeiPosted 8/26/2011 2:07:25 AM
Please don't go on auto attack mode and actually read with an open mind. I own a 3DS, I really like it. 3D portable gaming without glasses is really cool and I think 3DS will be pretty successful and have a large line-up of retail games.

However it seems sony is putting more effort into the digital downloads for the Vita based on articles I've been reading. Which is good, but ofcourse even they will never catch up to apple. And let me tell you I am an ADAMANT defender of retail gaming with full control pad control. However games like those in the appstore are going to keep growing and growing. And even I admit now that the future portable systems are going to be a cross between a 3DS and an Ipod Touch.

And the one thing that is really holding Nintendo back on that whole app store type gaming front is their incredible greed. They want me to pay $6 for an NES game where you can get full and beautiful adventures like Swords and Sworcery (and before you make fun of the name, actually look it up) for $3 and maybe even cheaper because apple allows freedom of price which leads to sales promotions. Then there are games that are available on the app store for 99 cents that are 8 dollars or more in the Nintendo store.

Nintendo really needs to wake up and totally rehash their pricing structure for downloadable games and price them much more aggressively. Or I feel it will make a really huge difference in their future market share in the handheld scene. Your thoughts.
---
last $$: Breath of Fire (gba), Zelda OOT 3D, Class of Heroes
Playing: Breath of Fire (gba), Zelda OOT 3D
#2BitentiliPosted 8/26/2011 2:08:39 AM
Totally rehash their w@
---
Not changing this signature until I can think of something better to put as a signature. Started March 20, 2011
#3Teremei(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2011 2:10:21 AM
rehash their pricing structure for downloadable games. Lower their own prices for NES classics and encourage developers to lower theirs (by either Nintendo taking less percentage or I don't know what because I'm not in business).
---
#4Sirian_HawkPosted 8/26/2011 2:22:43 AM
Nintendo's belief is that if you allow developers to sell cheap games then they will stop trying to make good games in favour of the cheap easy to make ones. This way the devs will not bother making a crappy little app because no one will buy it for that price. If they want to sell anything they have to make it good.

It all sounds good in theory, but doesn't fare as well in practice. Most of the VC games are not worth the amount they are priced at, and demos are not games and should never be charged for.
---
"To hell with your spoiled baby! Zoidberg needs those shoes!"
#5Teremei(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2011 2:54:35 AM
I guess I can even agree with that philosophy. And yes there are a crap ton of really terrible games on the ios/droid. However there are also a crap ton of terrible games on the Wii too. So is that REALLY Nintendo's philosophy or is that just targeted at digital downloads?

Apple's model works better. And I'm not even saying that's apple's model, they didn't even care about games. But people love games and turned the Iphone/Ipod into a marketplace for games. Ofcourse games weren't the sole reason each gen apple products sell out in stores, but I think it is really large reason of their continued success. The current marketplace over there is a better structure. Sure you will get a ton of crap games but there are plenty of gems to weed out of the garden of mediocrity.

Even if you make the best hotdogs in the world, you have to start with the $1 hotdog stand, and once everyone knows your name you open up the chain and expand your menu to more higher priced and quality items. Nintendo is trying to start with the chain and bypassing the stand, and I don't think that's possible.
---
#6TediousMattPosted 8/26/2011 3:00:45 AM
Teremei posted...
However it seems sony is putting more effort into the digital downloads for the Vita based on articles I've been reading.

I hate digital distribution, PSN has been really terrible since that hacking incident (in Europe at least). The cards have been nearly impossible to obtain, especially the ones under 50, and the store is really messy. Many entries are doubled and some even tripled. Some special offers (50% ect.) still have the original priced download available, so you need to perform a search if you want to download the discounted version.

Let's not forget the fact that most downloadable versions of retail games are way overpriced. Some of the games are half the price in stores and that is a standard price, not a discount.

Sony lives in bizarro world, I would rather pay more for the retail version because I can sell it. And some retail games come with bonus content or extra collectibles. :|
---
Yuji Kaido hates black people. And it makes Jesus cry. T^T
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o2/rascalous/PhoenixWrightPS3Sales.gif
#7pikachupwnagePosted 8/26/2011 4:28:44 AM
Teremei posted...
And even I admit now that the future portable systems are going to be a cross between a 3DS and an Ipod Touch.

And the one thing that is really holding Nintendo back on that whole app store type gaming front is their incredible greed. They want me to pay $6 for an NES game where you can get full and beautiful adventures like Swords and Sworcery (and before you make fun of the name, actually look it up) for $3 and maybe even cheaper because apple allows freedom of price which leads to sales promotions. Then there are games that are available on the app store for 99 cents that are 8 dollars or more in the Nintendo store.

uhh yup 3-6 dollars is SO expensive for games such as gargoyles quest which the lowest price i have seen it online is 10 dollars PLUS shipping so 3 or 4 dollars is a bargain price actually.

Also I would rather be nailed to a flaming cross with people shooting me full of arrows well giant leeches eat me from the inside while voldemort used the cruciatus curse on me while watching barney the dionsaur, then Have some Ipod 3ds hybrid abominamtion.
---
Wii U.... just be glad its not the Wii P. 3DS ambassador. 3DS FC in quote. Linkachu on pac man and galaga leaderboards. member of the ELN
#8AggrikenPosted 8/26/2011 4:45:42 AM

However it seems sony is putting more effort into the digital downloads for the Vita based on articles I've been reading. Which is good, but ofcourse even they will never catch up to apple. And let me tell you I am an ADAMANT defender of retail gaming with full control pad control. However games like those in the appstore are going to keep growing and growing. And even I admit now that the future portable systems are going to be a cross between a 3DS and an Ipod Touch.

Except the 3DS isn't competing with the iPod/iPhone. As far as non-casual gaming goes, the iPod is a non-issue. If anything, its competitor will be the Vita.
---
Pearl FC: 5070-1962-3585
Black FC: 5243-1411-3136
#9PhantomSwordPosted 8/26/2011 5:33:25 AM
As said before, Apple has shown that people aren't willing to pay that much more than a game is worth.

And Nintendo tries to maintain premium pricing for premium content, but they don't realize that not all of the content on 3DS is premium. Yet, pretty much everything costs $39.99.

And Nintendo is aiming to allow retail games to be downloadable, by the way. That will come later, though.
---
My favorite part of the day is when she dance in the mirror.
#10FrankGrimeyPosted 8/26/2011 5:35:13 AM

Teremei posted...
However it seems sony is putting more effort into the digital downloads for the Vita based on articles I've been reading.

I hate digital distribution, PSN has been really terrible since that hacking incident (in Europe at least). The cards have been nearly impossible to obtain, especially the ones under 50, and the store is really messy. Many entries are doubled and some even tripled. Some special offers (50% ect.) still have the original priced download available, so you need to perform a search if you want to download the discounted version..

Yikes...that sucks. Glad the US store isn't that messed up.
---
I'm better than okay. I'm Homer Simpson.