The Nintendo Difference in making Handhelds, a philosophical significance.

#11LHS_2012Posted 8/28/2011 6:35:12 PM
Well, people sure are touchy this evening. If it makes y'all feel better, Adele isn't even really a Pop artist, so losing a measly VMA is NO BIG DEAL GUYS. NO BIG DEAL!
---
And you definitely won't be laughing September 13 when they cancel the 3DS. ~thundercat2600, Aug 24, 2011
Gamertag: Starfish Hero
#12BraveAdolPosted 8/28/2011 6:49:57 PM
adamsmithson posted...
ORANGE666 posted...
You've mentioned first party games, but not the ones that Sony pushed the most on PSP.

Locoroco and Patapon. Two games that each had 3 games in their respective series on the PSP. They are both built for handheld experiences.

The reason why games like Uncharted and Resistance are being pushed for the Vita is because those are 2 games aimed at American audiences. The PSP did poorly the last few years in America and Sony needs games that Americans will buy.

the quality im sure you would agree when compared to the nintendo line up of first party games, its no match. I know I would much rather play the nintendo first party games on a handheld. The quality difference and fun experience on those, sony games like 'patapon' couldn't hold a candle to nintendo.

But then there's stuff like Ys Seven and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, which offer incredibly polished, modern (but not overly complex) gameplay in nice portable-sized chunks
---
Read my comics @ http://thejaystack.tumblr.com (Tell your friends!)
<3 Emily Haines of Metric is a GODDESS <3
#13SragentThomPosted 8/28/2011 6:58:08 PM(edited)
"high-end SNES"

Be this logic the PSX is a high end SNES and the PS2 and higher end SNES? Just joking but come on here. SNES does not define 2D graphics.

"On the GBA we saw a lot of SNES games. "

Yes because most of them where ported. Butched in some way or another.

---
Halo fans are like the Zerg. They'll attack in infinite numbers, and will attack anything that is not their own kind.
"Sherardy"
#14moogle69Posted 8/28/2011 7:22:25 PM
adamsmithson posted...
Contrast this with the Vita which Sony seems to be trying to convince everyone that it is basically a console system which fits in your hands. They are trying to make every big console franchise have a handheld iteration. Whether it's God of War, Uncharted, or Resistance, they are trying to "duplicate" the PS3 experience on the PS Vita. Its here that the two manufacturers collide in thinking on how to making a mass market handheld gaming device. Sony is trying to apply what it has learned works for home consoles onto the psp, which didn't fully appeal to mass market and still continuing this format with psp vita. These reasons lead me to believe that the psp vita will be taking the same missed footsteps that would lead to not be a fully mass market handhled game console for everyone. Like the ds was and the new 3ds is attempting to replicate.

In my opinion, if I wanted to play a PS3 game, I'd rather do it the right way on the big screen. A handheld experience is associated in my brain with a warm and fuzzy feeling because I'm used to playing an entirely different experience, like Pokemon Black and White, curled up on my bed while relaxing. They just feel different to me, and I like them both separately. I see how some people may like portable console experiences, but to me they aren't the same. What's your opinion on this?

i personally this is a false statement while they are trying to duplicate the experience of more hardcore gaming in a portable device, but they are also trying to duplicate experience of what the modern day individuals enjoy in a portable device, look at all the i devices from and Apple and smartphones/tablet etc...and then look at the Vita and then you will see what Sony trying to achieve here.

3DS in the other hand is trying to get rid of all that flavor that Nintendo had in their last generation of portables by adding mature graphics and 3D.

OMG i can't believe im defending Sony and this should be enough to prove that im not on any side or though i do favor nintendo alot more but you cant just defend on what nintendo went wrong in imo, how i will be getting both systems, especially nintendo 3DS first ^_^.
---
playing: Dragon Quest VI
looking forward to: Final Fantasy-Type 0, Dragon Quest Monster Joker 2, ES: SKYRIM V, Dark Souls, Hopefully FFversus XIII for 360
#15nedrithPosted 8/28/2011 8:13:02 PM
Honestly I think that Nintendo tends to innovate and add in new features, but generally when they add those new features their games tend to badly use the new features. I've played very few WII or DS games that use their respective features for more than gimmicks. But as soon the PS move came out I could see the great enjoyment in Sports Champions. When Move Heroes came out it was just pure awesome use of the Move's features. Where as many nintendo games tend to use the Wii's motion control just for the sake of saying it has motion controls, PS3 tends to use it where it makes sense

The touchscreen on the DS tends to go the same way. There are a few good uses of it, but very few. On the otherhand I've found that the PSP has used most of it's features quite well.

Also Sony tends to take care of many of the problems that people have with portables. Hate the small screen? hook it up to a TV. Hate the control layout? get a GO and hook it up to the PS3 controller(though the GO has it's own issues which will probably be corrected with the Vita).

I think the biggest difference between the two companies is that Nintendo tends to make new features but they hate to embrace the features that others have designed whereas Sony tends to make new features but also use the features that others have designed. Hence why the Vita will have a touchscreen, but also closely be connectable with the PS3. they've also heard how much people hated only having one joystick and are adding a second one.
#16adamsmithson(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2011 8:20:23 PM
nedrith posted...

I think the biggest difference between the two companies is that Nintendo tends to make new features but they hate to embrace the features that others have designed whereas Sony tends to make new features but also use the features that others have designed. Hence why the Vita will have a touchscreen, but also closely be connectable with the PS3. they've also heard how much people hated only having one joystick and are adding a second one.

thats all a matter of opinion, but what im trying to get at is the games. When it comes to games on handhelds, I think that nintendo has the more effective approac, with easy to pick up, fun games. The likes of god of war on a handheld will not appeal to a mass market.
#17fire2boxPosted 8/28/2011 8:33:11 PM
There's just so much wrong with the original post.

Example. GBC had NES like games since at the time thats as far nintendo was willing to go with tech in their handhelds since if they weren't further. They would be increasing the price a lot. Computer's weren't very great back then either, not even gaming ones.

GBA was like the SNES for the exact same reasons

DS was like the 64 for the exact same reasons.

the 3DS is might be on par with the game cube for the exact same reasons.

With nintendo the portable market is always 2 generations in the past compared to the current home console.

Sony on the other hand wants mind blowing experiences and with Vita they might just finally get it right. Though I wish it did have android on it, that would be cool.
---
"If you find something that you feel you belong to, become a groupie and a fan, and then a critic." Starlee Kine
#18adamsmithson(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2011 8:41:12 PM
fire2box posted...

With nintendo the portable market is always 2 generations in the past compared to the current home console.

Sony on the other hand wants mind blowing experiences and with Vita they might just finally get it right. Though I wish it did have android on it, that would be cool.

Im afraid you seem to have mis understood my point and your focus on graphics capability is not really relevant in the argument of this topic. As I explained in the intial post, with handhelds I believe that games with a easy to pick and play approachable mechanic are more likely to appeal to the mass market and achieve great commercial success.

The 3ds is replicating this formula that nintendo have become so adept at. Keeping graphics contemporary, but not over board like the 3ds and most importantly keeping gameplay simple, fun and easy to approach. The vita is doing exactly what made it fail to achive worldwide commerical success by just trying to replicate a home console experience on a handhled game system, which is just not really demanded by anyone. Most would rather play those console games on a larger hd screen.