Is the 3ds virtual console weak?

#1XanderStrangePosted 8/29/2011 11:17:09 PM
I asked earlier how to fund it. Now I did. I was thinking there would be a lot of older games to download like the Wii. Again, sorry cause im new, but is there an update or something I'm missing
---
Xbox Live Gamertag & PSN:Xander Strange
Currently Playing: Left4Dead2, Dirt 2, WWE 2010(X360). Yakuza (PS2).
#2RomanticidePosted 8/29/2011 11:20:06 PM
Yea, it really is at the moment. Although it seems Nintendo got the kick in arse they needed and will be putting quite a bit of stuff on there in the next couple of months.
---
Gaming systems: PC, Ps2, Ps3, Gamecube, DS Lite, Xbox 360, Nintendo 64 and a Dreamcast
#3TheForestKidPosted 8/29/2011 11:21:57 PM
As of now yes. They add like 3-6 games every week.
---
'We're whalers on the moon, we carry a harpoon, for they ain't no whales so we tell tall tales, and sing our whaling tune.'
#4ConradimusPrimePosted 8/29/2011 11:22:17 PM
New games are added every Thursday.
Most of the time you only get one.
Most of the time it sucks.

HOWEVER, Zelda, Donkey Kong and Gargoyle's Quest are stellar. Pick them up, if you haven't already.

There's not many other things on there. Avenging spirit is pretty cool, Radar Mission is ok if you don't own battleship (or like playing board games ALONE). Other than that, it's slim pickings.
---
My art blog: http://fishbowlart.blogspot.com
My deviant art (with a lot of old high school stuff): http://misternefarious.deviantart.com/
#5magicaltopPosted 8/29/2011 11:30:45 PM
I still don't see why they didn't just take the Wii's VC and put them on here already (or at least some systems). Would have probably sold more on that alone and it gives people stuff to do with their system while we wait for the games to come out.
---
ITT, we compare our hard drives like it's our ****-size.-Aight_Then
#6EoinPosted 8/30/2011 12:04:17 AM
The Wii's lineup is better, but do remember that it has taken about 5 years for it to get to that point. That's 5 years where most weeks were fairly poor. While Nintendo could (and should) be doing a lot better with the Virtual Console on 3DS, what they've put up so far is probably, as a weekly average, about as good as the Wii's weekly average.

TheForestKid posted...

To the Virtual Console....?

They really don't. If you include DSiWare, then you're about correct with those figures, but the Virtual Console gets about one game per week (none on some weeks), and I don't think there's been a single week when 6 were added.

magicaltop posted...
I still don't see why they didn't just take the Wii's VC and put them on here already (or at least some systems).

The way the games on Virtual Console work is a little strange. The 3DS doesn't have emulator software built in, so every game includes not just the game, but the emulator software necessary to play the game.

This means that instead of downloading, say, Super Mario Land, you're downloading that plus a 3DS executable that knows how to play Super Mario Land.

On the Wii it works the same way - you're downloading a Wii executable file each time.

This means that the files that you download to the Wii are incompatible with the 3DS. Each time Nintendo want to add a game to the 3DS Virtual Console, they have to create a new executable - they can't just use the same thing that's on the Wii VC. It also means that the game needs to be tested again.

The method they've chosen works, and will eventually result in lots of good games being on the VC - but it's not a particularly efficient or foresightful method, and it's going to mean that the 3DS VC can't grow very fast even if Nintendo want it to.
#7skawo93Posted 8/30/2011 12:08:22 AM(edited)
Eoin posted...

The method they've chosen works, and will eventually result in lots of good games being on the VC - but it's not a particularly efficient or foresightful method, and it's going to mean that the 3DS VC can't grow very fast even if Nintendo want it to.

The method they've chosen is the only way possible to keep 100% compability with all of the games. If there was an universal emulator, it wouldn't necesarily play every game from the start with near-perfection, and future updates could destroy the compability with older games. It would be a mess.
---
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/skawo96/W.jpg
Run! Run away!
#8EoinPosted 8/30/2011 12:34:18 AM
skawo93 posted...
The method they've chosen is the only way possible to keep 100% compability with all of the games. If there was an universal emulator, it wouldn't necesarily play every game from the start with near-perfection, and future updates could destroy the compability with older games. It would be a mess.

That may be correct, and this is exactly why they've chosen it. However, the fact that it guarantees 100% compatibility doesn't stop what I've said being correct - it's slow (in terms of adding games) and prevents cross-compatibility.

It's worth noting, though, that Game Boy, NES, SNES and GBA emulators (and most of the other consoles that are offered on Wii and/or that may be offered on 3DS) are fairly well understood in terms of emulation, so the issues that you're posting about should be avoidable with good planning, at least across Nintendo's own range of consoles.
#9SpacePr8RobertsPosted 8/30/2011 12:45:16 AM
ConradimusPrime posted...
Radar Mission is ok if you don't own battleship (or like playing board games ALONE).

An updated version with online play would be awesome.
---
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
#10pikachupwnagePosted 8/30/2011 2:59:22 AM
TheForestKid posted...

theres only so many good GB games they need to space them out.
---
Wii U.... just be glad its not the Wii P. 3DS ambassador. member of the ELN