Could this be what Nintendo was thinking of? (Dual analog/cpad rumors)

#1scotpelkPosted 8/31/2011 10:06:22 AM
So we've all heard the rumor about Nintendo working on a 3DS with a second cpad/analog control, as well as an attachment for the current model (not to mention every possible argument in support of or against it). Logitech recently came out with this little attachment for the iPad:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/08/30/ipad.joystick/index.html?hpt=te_bn5

Could this be similar to what Nintendo was thinking of (assuming there is any truth to the rumors)? Logitech is charging $20, but certainly an attachment like this is cheap to make and would fit the $10 price tag of the rumored 3DS attachment. Attaching to the touch screen would be a very simple way to add extra control and it could even come packaged with certain games, much like the Guitar Hero attachment or other things we have seen in the past. Newer titles aiming to utilize the second cpad could simply have an option or setting where you specify to use the second cpad or the attachment and touch screen for older models. Heck, in this hypothetical situation, such games might even automatically detect your hardware.

Again, all speculation at this point and one could argue either side of the rumors until they are blue in the face. I just thought this was interesting and wanted to share it with you guys.
#2GeistigenPosted 8/31/2011 10:14:40 AM
That's what I had originally thought they were going to do. It would have to be smaller than that though, can't take up too much room on the screen.
---
PSN: Geistigen
Please post after me, I hate being a topic killer D:
#3DarkLink346Posted 8/31/2011 10:17:10 AM
That thing looks ridiculous. Leaving it attached on the iPad makes it way less sleek. I guess you could just stick in on when you want it, but really, people are pretty lazy.

As far as on the 3DS, that is not a thing I would want. They tried that to a degree with the thumb stylus strap thingy that came with the first DS and it didn't feel organic. It would also take up space on the touch screen they could be using for displays and whatnot.

Good topic, but I will finally start getting mad at Nintendo, too, if they pull some crap like that thing.
---
Use the damn search button!
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_Wiki
#4MechaKoopa5000Posted 8/31/2011 10:21:42 AM
The last thing 3DS needs is peripherals. Haven't they learned from Wii?
#5CagebladePosted 8/31/2011 10:24:00 AM
For me it only shows that Nintendo failed when they were designing 3DS.
---
Browser:Error 404
#6EoinPosted 8/31/2011 10:24:21 AM
Just a thought: if Nintendo do release something like that, it is effectively going to be a choice for developers: second analogue stick, or touchscreen controls. I doubt that many developers are going to try to implement both, given that an analogue stick has a certain minimum size before it becomes irritatingly small (example; PSP nub) and the 3DS touchscreen isn't all that large.
#7scotpelk(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2011 10:27:48 AM
Eoin posted...
Just a thought: if Nintendo do release something like that, it is effectively going to be a choice for developers: second analogue stick, or touchscreen controls. I doubt that many developers are going to try to implement both, given that an analogue stick has a certain minimum size before it becomes irritatingly small (example; PSP nub) and the 3DS touchscreen isn't all that large.

I know nothing about programming, but if adding touch screen control is just a matter of x and y coordinates, then I imagine it wouldn't take much effort to include. Good point though, and it really would be up to the developers to take advantage of.
#8scotpelk(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2011 10:37:54 AM(edited)
Cageblade posted...
For me it only shows that Nintendo failed when they were designing 3DS.

In that regards it's the same as when they designed the original Wii controller then came out with the motion plus, which was everything the first one should have been.

DarkLink346 posted...
As far as on the 3DS, that is not a thing I would want. They tried that to a degree with the thumb stylus strap thingy that came with the first DS and it didn't feel organic. It would also take up space on the touch screen they could be using for displays and whatnot.

Agreed. I bought a thumb stylus later on, one with an elastic strap, hoping it would give me better control, but it was awkward. This thing looks like it would provide resistance though, so maybe that's a plus? Would require awkward positioning/grip of the 3DS though...
#9EoinPosted 8/31/2011 10:36:13 AM
scotpelk posted...
I know nothing about programming, but if adding touch screen control is just a matter of x and y coordinates, then I imagine it wouldn't take much effort to include. Good point though, and it really would be up to the developers to take advantage of.

Yes, the touchscreen only gives X/Y coords.

What I'm really saying, though, is that if Nintendo do release something like that, then (many) developers aren't going simultaneously support touchscreen controls and secondary analogue controls.

If the stick is on the touchscreen, then most of the touchscreen is going to be either covered by the analogue stick, or not comfortably reachable with enough speed (and certainly not reachable with a stylus since people aren't going to play with their thumb on a second analogue stick and a stylus in the same hand).

This type of stick is...probably not very likely, perhaps even very unlikely, but if it does happen, it's not going to be a simple addition to the 3DS's featureset - any use of it would, as far as I can see, sacrifice touchscreen controls. That might not be a terribly bad thing for many games, but it's not exactly a great thing either.
#10scotpelk(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2011 10:50:24 AM
Eoin posted...
Yes, the touchscreen only gives X/Y coords.

What I'm really saying, though, is that if Nintendo do release something like that, then (many) developers aren't going simultaneously support touchscreen controls and secondary analogue controls.

If the stick is on the touchscreen, then most of the touchscreen is going to be either covered by the analogue stick, or not comfortably reachable with enough speed (and certainly not reachable with a stylus since people aren't going to play with their thumb on a second analogue stick and a stylus in the same hand).

This type of stick is...probably not very likely, perhaps even very unlikely, but if it does happen, it's not going to be a simple addition to the 3DS's featureset - any use of it would, as far as I can see, sacrifice touchscreen controls. That might not be a terribly bad thing for many games, but it's not exactly a great thing either.

I see what you mean now. Where I see an application like this having some success, is perhaps an FPS where most of the action is on the top screen and they work the menus in such a way that loss of the touch screen is a minimal issue. That, or any game that doesn't take advantage of the touch screen for displays. Unfortunately, there were a lot of DS games that let the touch screen go to waste. In a case like that, having an attachment covering the screen wouldn't be a huge loss. Also for an FPS or similar, you won't be using a stylus anyway if you're using both thumbs.