Will leaving the system on the charging dock effect the battery?

#1abbeldydooPosted 8/31/2011 9:46:33 AM
Just curious if leaving the 3DS on the charging dock after its charged eventually mess with the battery.I have had rechargable devices in the past that i left on the charger and it ended up taking huge chunks from the battery life and then i have had some that it didnt matter because when the device was fully charged it quit sending a charge.

If anyone knows for sure about this and would enlighten me i would appreciate it.
---
PSN-CptDookie
#2endoflevelbossPosted 8/31/2011 9:50:37 AM
It's not a problem. Nintendo included the dock so that people will leave the 3DS on there when not playing. When it's finished charging the light will go out and that's that.
#323figuresPosted 8/31/2011 9:51:11 AM
Neglecting to charge it the first time will not lower battery life.
-There is no "memory effect" on li-ion batteries. It doesn't need a first time calibration.

Leaving it charging all the time will not lower battery life.
-The circuitry is built to stop charging when the battery is full. It won't "overcharge". People always think their laptop and game system batteries die because of overcharge, but in reality it's just from heat and/or regular usage.

You don't "need" to drain the battery before you charge it.
-Again, there's no "memory effect". Just charge when you feel like it. If the manual of a device tells you to do this, it's just for the calibration of the battery meter/display. The battery itself won't be affected. In fact, if a li-ion battery drains fully, it may be harmful for it.

However, draining the battery will not lower battery life, as long as you intend to charge it later.
-The system is designed to prevent an actual full drain by refusing to turn on at a certain battery %, say 7-8%. That way it can "last" until you charge it next.

Draining the battery completely and leaving it empty for a month+ will lower the battery life.
-Of course, that 7-8% will naturally disperse over time, so if the battery actually does completely discharge, you're screwed.

Using the battery will, over time, lower the battery life.
-This is just a fact of battery life. They're designed to hold several hundreds of charge cycles before showing noticeably shorter battery life, and then it snowballs from there.

Storing the unit in unnecessarily hot conditions (like the seat of a car on a warm day) will lower the battery life.
-They're designed to hold charge at room temperature. Heat stresses all battery types, and li-ion is no exception.

Source: http://batteryuniversity.com/

-Thatguywiththehair
---
Pokemon White FC: 3439 2859 3134
#4abbeldydoo(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2011 4:23:48 PM
Thanks for the info.
---
PSN-CptDookie