Hardcore Gamers

#1CPFacePosted 9/1/2011 4:28:04 AM
You can probably already tell where I'm going to go with this.

Nintendo is constantly criticized for ignoring the hardcore gamer. Then they drop a bunch of NES games on us, and suddenly everyone is in an uproar. "No tutorials? No maps? No save states? What am I supposed to DO?"

Now, I'll be the first to admit, I hate playing games where you wander around aimlessly and it's often unclear what your next objective is. I'm no great fan of Zelda or Metroid. But for all those people who constantly complain that Nintendo has gotten too "casual", here at last is your hardcore gaming experience.

I'm genuinely curious if this is what you were asking for.
---
Visit this link to be bitten by a werewolf:
http://world6.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=114199780
#2Y34RX3R0Posted 9/1/2011 4:30:53 AM
I think they want more hardcore games for next gen systems. Not 25 year old games. :)
---
PSN: Y34RX3R0
3DS FC: 3737-9677-2169
#3ChimpsonabusPosted 9/1/2011 4:46:12 AM
CPFace posted...
Now, I'll be the first to admit, I hate playing games where you wander around aimlessly and it's often unclear what your next objective is. I'm no great fan of Zelda or Metroid. But for all those people who constantly complain that Nintendo has gotten too "casual", here at last is your hardcore gaming experience.

I don't think many people are complaining about those games. It's the other games which seem to have people up in arms: Balloon Fight, Wrecking Crew, Ice Climber, etc. The only objective in these games is to get high scores. They're shallow and unrewarding - the 1980s equivalent of iPhone apps.

I don't own a 3DS so I'm not part of the ambassador program, but if I've played most of these games before - as well as a lot of other NES games. I'm surprised that Nintendo chose these particular titles to win back their fans' trust, rather than games which are actually good by modern standards.
#4sjakosPosted 9/1/2011 4:48:01 AM
In the nes age everybody was "hardcore", and way more "hardcore" than the teens that claim to be "hardcore" now.
#5DahlVaughnniPosted 9/1/2011 5:24:47 AM(edited)
There is a hardcore game coming. Etrian odyssey 4. But hardcore gamers won't likely enjoy it because "hardcore gamers" aren't hardcore at all. There's this misconception going around that hardcore refers to how often you play games, and that's not true. Shooters are the polar opposite of hardcore, it really doesn't get much more casual than shooters. What d you do? You drop into a game, and you shoot people until you die, respawn, and shoot.

Those same people would play a hardcore rpg like etrian odyssey, wipe on the first enemy encounter, and quit.
---
Gamertag & PSN: Archlvt
FFCC: EOT FC - 0261 0047 8986
#6brStalkerPosted 9/1/2011 5:42:41 AM
DahlVaughnni posted...
There is a hardcore game coming. Etrian odyssey 4. But hardcore gamers won't likely enjoy it because "hardcore gamers" aren't hardcore at all. There's this misconception going around that hardcore refers to how often you play games, and that's not true. Shooters are the polar opposite of hardcore, it really doesn't get much more casual than shooters. What d you do? You drop into a game, and you shoot people until you die, respawn, and shoot.

Those same people would play a hardcore rpg like etrian odyssey, wipe on the first enemy encounter, and quit.

This. But I'd like to add a bit to it.

Hardcore also tend to cater to people that think that if you not go over the limit of the console's potential, and fill it with overrealistic and exaggerated mature content (blood, gore and even pr0n), then it's a kid game, or no game at all.

i.e. graphicwhores.

Like said, the same people that play something like Etrian Odissey, Order of Ecclesia, or TWEWY and give up because the game is too hard (or according to them, "unplayable").
---
"Which is more evil: Kidnapping a child to use as a tool for world domination, or using your blood child as a tool for world domination?"-Tyranidomega
#7bellzemoPosted 9/1/2011 6:31:48 AM
When did the word hardcore become synonymous for challenging?
#8blazeUP12Posted 9/1/2011 6:34:26 AM
I think hardcore now means rated M games
---
hello earthlings, i am from another planet
#9TerotrousPosted 9/1/2011 6:35:02 AM
The answer is pretty straightforward. The people complaining that Nintendo doesn't have games for hardcore gamers aren't hardcore gamers. They're mainstream gamers, and the types of games they want are easy games with a lot of graphic violence.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Super C"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#10Soanevalcke6Posted 9/1/2011 6:41:34 AM
ITT: Hardcore means you play Mature Games

Hardcore means you invest time playing video games, and do it as a hobby, not something to "just do for awhile with your friends"

HardCore Genres are RPGs, Action Adventures, and Platformers(Not all of them, im just giving a few examples)

DudeBro Games are FPSs, Racing, and Fighting Games.
---
Final Fantasies: 9>5>6>7>The Rest