Professor Layton and Ace Attorney series questions

#1m0986-8Posted 9/2/2011 9:35:59 AM
Since the DS board is pretty dead right now and I am about to go to gamestop... I need help ASAP

Are these visual novels? I am getting heavy into visual novel-type games. Finished 999, Time Hollow, Trace Memory, and am now on Hotel Dusk and Theresia.

How much gameplay is there in the Ace Attorney and Layton series? I am thinking of trying both out after Hotel Dusk and its sequel.
---
3DS FC: 0344 - 9282 - 6531
#2weemadarthurPosted 9/2/2011 9:53:38 AM
Layton consists of brain teasers and math and spatial puzzles.

AA is very like a vidual novel. You investigate scenes, show clues to characters to get their stories, go to court and point out holes in the stories.
---
"You're right. And when you're right, you're right. And you, you're always right!"
#3nintendoggerPosted 9/2/2011 9:58:23 AM(edited)
AA is basically an interactive story. It's very click and point (I played wiiware version)

Now, Layton is a different type of interactive story. There is an overall plot you are solving, with like a 100 puzzles used to advance the plot. The puzzles are usually unrelated to the plot, and I don't think any of them have to do with the scenery. I've played all three in both trilogys, and love both series.

EDIT: Each Layton game has been 10 - 18 hours for me. Each AA game has been like 12-20 hours. Each individual case is 2-4 hours long. (With the shortest one I've ever done being 30 min)
---
Nintendo called it the Ambassador Program because "Ambassador" is an anagram of "Moar Badass". -StarlightDrive
#4truevirtuePosted 9/2/2011 9:57:27 AM
Yes, the Ace Attorney games are visual novels, except many times better than the other games you mentioned. The gameplay is more about using logic and intuition to dig up holes in testamonies and such, rather than solving puzzles to continue. Also, the storyline is more engaging and the characters a lot more memoriable. To make the most of the story, I suggest playing them in order of release.

Professor Layton is puzzle driven, like the other games. The difference is that rather than solving puzzles in the game world, random citizens ask you riddles and complex math problems.

I don't know what the crossover game is going to be like. However, I imagine it will have gameplay closer to that of Professor Layton. Since the game won't be canon, I'm really not interested in the story.
#5nintendoggerPosted 9/2/2011 10:00:04 AM
truevirtue posted...

I don't know what the crossover game is going to be like. However, I imagine it will have gameplay closer to that of Professor Layton. Since the game won't be canon, I'm really not interested in the story.

The investigation part of the trial is much like that of the Layton series, while there are in court scenes. The artwork is seemingly close to the Layton series in addition, along with the complete bizaareness. - This is all coming from game description, I live in the US so therefore have no played it.
---
Nintendo called it the Ambassador Program because "Ambassador" is an anagram of "Moar Badass". -StarlightDrive
#6m0986-8(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2011 10:04:58 AM
Do the games have multiple endings? or is there only 1 ending to each game?

Yes, the Ace Attorney games are visual novels, except many times better than the other games you mentioned.
999 is the most amazing Visual novel I have played so far... but I guess I have to try the AA series to see if that changes
---
#7PokeMasterPosted 9/2/2011 10:11:31 AM
nintendogger posted...
AA is basically an interactive story. It's very click and point (I played wiiware version)

Now, Layton is a different type of interactive story. There is an overall plot you are solving, with like a 100 puzzles used to advance the plot. The puzzles are usually unrelated to the plot, and I don't think any of them have to do with the scenery. I've played all three in both trilogys, and love both series.

EDIT: Each Layton game has been 10 - 18 hours for me. Each AA game has been like 12-20 hours. Each individual case is 2-4 hours long. (With the shortest one I've ever done being 30 min)

The 3DS layton has 150 puzzles (iirc) as main story, then planned 365 daily puzzles. The daily ones are a few months in already though.
---
JPN Black 3DS (Launch) / OoT, Layton: Mask of Miracle, TotAbyss, Ridge, nintendogs,SFIV, Pokemon Scramble
VC Games: SML, Dodgeball, Adventure Island 2
#8nintendoggerPosted 9/2/2011 10:13:48 AM
m0986-8 posted...
Do the games have multiple endings? or is there only 1 ending to each game?

Yes, the Ace Attorney games are visual novels, except many times better than the other games you mentioned.
999 is the most amazing Visual novel I have played so far... but I guess I have to try the AA series to see if that changes

The Layton games only have one ending.

The Attorney games have a bad and good ending. The only replay value is that of nostalgia.
---
#9nintendoggerPosted 9/2/2011 10:15:13 AM
PokeMaster posted...

The 3DS layton has 150 puzzles (iirc) as main story, then planned 365 daily puzzles. The daily ones are a few months in already though.

The original is the appropriate place to start. I believe only around 100 puzzles are needed to complete the plot. I know there are more, plus the DLC in each game of the series.
---
#10m0986-8(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2011 10:17:01 AM
So which series do you think is best to start with?
---