Region Lock. Why?

#1Galaxy_NovaPosted 9/2/2011 5:37:59 PM
I know it's supposed to combat piracy yet developers will loss money on international and american customers so why lock it?

good thing the vita won't be region look >_>;
---
Megaman Star Force 3 Red Joker Wi-Fi King! 2010
#2Blood_NightsPosted 9/2/2011 5:39:17 PM
Hah failtroolistooobviouslyafailtrool

Anyway. There's plenty of reasons.
---
I smell of cheap cigarettes and Whiskey. Can you blame me?
#3CorruptedRPGPosted 9/2/2011 5:40:30 PM
Region locking encourages piracy.
---
---
#4Marcster1994Posted 9/2/2011 5:40:44 PM
To fight piracy.

Yeah, pretty much. The DS had a lot of piracy problems so they wanted to counteract it.
---
3DS FC: 4725-7947-0440
B/W FC: 0819 4333 0352
#5so64Posted 9/2/2011 5:40:50 PM
I think it was done to buoy game markets in the different regions. If someone from Japan imports from America, NOJ doesn't receive the money and I think NOA does not either.
---
www.brokencontrollers.com
My dragon egg is dead. Thanks guys. Also, blue cheese is evil and the creator should be flogged.
#6fuzacoPosted 9/2/2011 5:43:29 PM
And how exactly does region lock help fighting piracy?
#7Skul_Posted 9/2/2011 5:43:29 PM
so64 posted...
I think it was done to buoy game markets in the different regions. If someone from Japan imports from America, NOJ doesn't receive the money and I think NOA does not either.

NOA will still recive money, becuase they shipped it to the seller in the first place.
---
Newest Game: FE: Radiant Dawn Wishlist: 3DS, SSFIV3D, Zelda:OOT3D, Ghost Recon: SW, Zelda Skyward Sword.
Operation Virtual Fall: I want Virtual Boy 2.
#8so64Posted 9/2/2011 5:44:08 PM
Skul_ posted...
so64 posted...

NOA will still recive money, becuase they shipped it to the seller in the first place.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.
---
www.brokencontrollers.com
My dragon egg is dead. Thanks guys. Also, blue cheese is evil and the creator should be flogged.
#9Starking777Posted 9/2/2011 5:44:21 PM
Blood_Nights posted...
Hah failtroolistooobviouslyafailtrool

Anyway. There's plenty of reasons.

Mainly price adjustments and protecting regional prices/sales. Anyways, I can admit Region locking is one of the reasons why I've been on the fence about the 3DS.

Also, how exactly does region locking fight piracy? The major causes of piracy are lack of localization and pricing.
---
0:58.888 at Suzuka in the X2010 with only ABS at 1
PSN: Starking7
#10LightHawKnightPosted 9/2/2011 5:45:01 PM
Actually region locking makes more money for the developers and localizers, since people wont be able to buy the cheaper version just to the next country, or area. And it might even make companies want to localize more games, since people wouldn't have bought the Japanese or Europe or US or what ever version before which was untranslated.
---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."