possibility of a third party hardware to connect GBA carts into 3DS?

#1SeaSerpentPosted 9/3/2011 2:48:07 AM
I'm a little bummed at there no being a GBA slot on the 3DS... I have not bought one yet, but am considering turning in my old DS to exchange for some $ to purchase a 3DS. I enjoyed my Doom 1/2, super circuit, f-zero games on the GBA... and am considering on purchasing a used GBA SP to continue to play them.

What are the chances of a third party company making a small device that allows GBA cartridges to be played on the 3DS? I'm thinking "very unlikely" - especially since Nintendo is selling some GBA games through their eShop.

Just asking if this is something that could actually happen... or not a chance at all.
---
Portable Mortal Kombat: http://pmk.mortalkombatonline.com/
#2xCha0sPosted 9/3/2011 2:55:05 AM
super circuit for gba is an ambassador title
#3Supa_SPosted 9/3/2011 3:01:25 AM
SeaSerpent posted...
I'm a little bummed at there no being a GBA slot on the 3DS.

Were you expecting a GBA slot though? The DSi and DSi XL didn't have one..
#4SeaSerpent(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2011 3:07:34 AM
I'm not talking about downloaded GBA games. I'm aware the two later DS' did not have the GBA slot.

Just asking, "do you think its possible some company might make a little device that inserts into the DS slot that allows GBA cartridges to be inserted on the other end and playable?"

Kind of like a Pro Action Replay device. Or gameshark, game genie, etc. If I recall - my action replay for the gamecube could allow me to play gamecube games of other regions (asia/europe).
---
#5EoinPosted 9/3/2011 3:09:21 AM
Chances are zero.

Apparently you think that the only reason the 3DS can't play GBA games is that the GBA carts won't fit into the 3DS. However, it's also missing the hardware to play GBA games, so even if you could somehow come up with a hideous mess of an adapter to fit the GBA carts in, nothing would happen. The 3DS wouldn't play them, or even see them.
#6SeaSerpent(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2011 3:19:50 AM
Thank you,

Sorry - I'm not too techy with these systems, as I did not know a lot of hardware would be required to run such GBA games. I figured - if a GBA SP/micro is small enough - couldn't an adapter/external device of some sort be manufactured to run these games? The screen/buttons are already available, etc.

I think I'll stick to purchasing a used GBA SP to run my Doom GBA games.
---
#7mjc0961Posted 9/3/2011 3:24:45 AM(edited)

I'm thinking "very unlikely" - especially since Nintendo is selling some GBA games through their eShop.

Also, they aren't selling some GBA games on the eShop. Right now, the party line is that they currently have "no plans" to release the 10 GBA games that ambassadors get to the eShop for everyone else to purchase.
---
YOU'RE a pie chart.
#8ChikaraXPosted 9/3/2011 4:31:15 AM
The rule these days is that the newer console must at least be able to play the previous generation (And when the newer device sells well they remove these options though hard or software.. This FORCES people to buy newer games ~This is what Sony said~ But if this is the case with the PSV? lol)

If the 3DS was able to play GB and GBA games directly we wouldn't have to REBUY all these games for 6-15$ and play them through emulation (But without all the cartridge swapping)

-Personally I don't mind having to re-buy SOME games.. But.. Only as long as they release ALL Gameboy and ALL Gameboy Advance games on the eShop.. not just the games NIntendo wants us to like/play.. Many consoles have some strange titles that ROCK! but these never get re-released.

"it's also missing the hardware to play GBA games"
Huh?

Well if with Hardware you mean the port, yes.. The GBA had build-in software to emulate Gameboy instructions.. Just like the DS emulated instructions to play GBA games.

That's why some games don't work as good as on the original platform (Delayed controls, Freezes) Some of my DS games randomly freeze on the 3DS (Zelda PH freezes a lot when I press select, sound stops, screen sometimes goes black etc.. But not on the DS)
#9MrFwibblesPosted 9/3/2011 4:56:44 AM
There will undoubtedly be a third party device that can run GBA games illegally, but for legit cartridges, chances are extremely slim.
---
DLC, online passes and the rise of casual budget gaming have ruined the video game industry.
#10EoinPosted 9/3/2011 4:59:28 AM
ChikaraX posted...
Huh?

Well if with Hardware you mean the port, yes..

No, I don't mean just the port. I thought I was fairly clear on this: the 3DS does not have the GBA's hardware. No GBA CPU, for example.

You attempt to make some points based on software emulation, but 3DS doesn't have a GBA software emulator either, so they're not relevant points.