possibility of a third party hardware to connect GBA carts into 3DS?

#11neotimPosted 9/3/2011 5:43:14 AM
the hardware to run the gba games is on the 3ds. just as it was in the dsi. the port was just removed to make room for more memory for the system. if the programmin g wasnt on the system to play the gba games then we wouldnt be able to play them when we get them as a download from the eshop.
---
pkmn blk fc-4598-9389-6974. 3DS FC-0774-4246-6840 Name-OpTIMus
#12KaiRyusakiPosted 9/3/2011 5:50:26 AM
Is it possible for a device to read GBA carts and turn it into "rom data" like a GBA VC game?
#13dlfPosted 9/3/2011 7:01:27 AM

the hardware to run the gba games is on the 3ds. just as it was in the dsi. the port was just removed to make room for more memory for the system. if the programming wasnt on the system to play the gba games then we wouldnt be able to play them when we get them as a download from the eshop.

software emulation
---
A gamer should want as many games as possible, from as many different genres as possible,on as many different systems as possible,for as many people as possible
#14RedDeerRebelPosted 9/3/2011 7:06:13 AM
neotim, it's entirely possible for them to code a simple emulator that you download every time you download a new GBA game. Think of it as an emulator and a rom in one file. Sega did this porting their games to iOS, and I'm sure that's how the wii works (with other systems being added years after launch).
#15nuclearratchetPosted 9/3/2011 7:19:44 AM
why not play them on your computer with an emulator its not illegal since you own the games.
#16EoinPosted 9/3/2011 9:45:24 AM
neotim posted...
the hardware to run the gba games is on the 3ds. just as it was in the dsi. the port was just removed to make room for more memory for the system. if the programmin g wasnt on the system to play the gba games then we wouldnt be able to play them when we get them as a download from the eshop.

"Hardware" is not the same as "programming", and the 3DS has neither of them anyway.

The 3DS will play GBA games the same way that the 3DS (and the Wii) plays all virtual console games - each game download will contain both the game and the emulation software necessary.

Also, please don't just say that the 3DS has the GBA hardware - it simply doesn't.
#17toma13Posted 9/3/2011 10:10:53 AM
If you don't have any pre-GBA games then you might want to consider the Micro instead of the SP. It's way more comfortable in your hands, it's made of metal, and it's small enough to fit in your pocket at the same time as your 3DS. I love mine. It's wonderful.
---
Username for pretty much everything: BngryBt
#18Second_ChancesPosted 9/3/2011 10:12:29 AM
entirely possible (see the N64) but last time I checked no one made one for GB/C on DS so nope
---
Second Chances sure are great. It's nice to be back, GameFAQs.
http://backloggery.com/Ground
#19SeaSerpent(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2011 1:11:39 PM
@ nuclearratchet,
Sure I could use a computer emulator to run those games - but that is just not the same. Doesn't have my saved files, plus I'll be sitting at my computer. I enjoy the idea of being able to play those GBA games where I want (hence why anyone bothers to buy a portable system).

@ toma13,
I did look into the micro, but figured it would be more expensive than the SP and likely contain more scratches on the screen since its not a flip (like SP/DS/laptops). I may still consider it though, thanks.
---
Portable Mortal Kombat: http://pmk.mortalkombatonline.com/