Is it possible to use the 3DS as an MP3 Player? if not, who would want this?

#1RevolutionVPosted 9/4/2011 12:14:34 AM
I'm shopping around for an MP3 player at the moment and I'm not sure I could just load music files onto the 3DS memory card. Who know if there is a way to use the 3DS as an MP3 player? I wish this would be possible, because it would be awesome to carry my music and my games on the same portable machine. I don't Iphone or Ipod touch games, they are not the same thing. thanks in advance.
#2skawo93Posted 9/4/2011 12:19:23 AM(edited)
Yes, you can use it like that. The music keeps playing if you plug in headphones and close the system.
---
The second videogame crash is coming.
Soon.
#3JorgezxPosted 9/4/2011 12:21:58 AM
It is possible.

The 3DS have "3DS Sound" which is an app that allow you to play music from you SD card. It is rather primitive, so don't expect all the functions of a full MP3 player. Also, the 3DS is a lot bigger than any MP3 player you could buy. If you close the 3DS the music will stop, unless you have headphones (kind of obvious). And it have some really nice 3D visualizers.
---
Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance.- Plato
#4skawo93Posted 9/4/2011 12:23:12 AM
Jorgezx posted...
It is possible.

The 3DS have "3DS Sound" which is an app that allow you to play music from you SD card. It is rather primitive, so don't expect all the functions of a full MP3 player. Also, the 3DS is a lot bigger than any MP3 player you could buy. If you close the 3DS the music will stop, unless you have headphones (kind of obvious). And it have some really nice 3D visualizers.

Out of curiosity, what functions doesn't the 3DS have?
---
Soon.
#5paulinkPosted 9/4/2011 12:26:02 AM
I would never ever use my 3DS to replace my actual mp3 player. But then again I don't expect it to.

And the sound output is lower than other audio devices so it'll be lower by the way.
---
"Wow, you must be the pinnacle of human conscience."-CEs_EFG
RIP TREES
#6crispyoPosted 9/4/2011 12:32:47 AM
so you think the only reason that would make the 3DS worth purchasing is if it can play music? 0_0 k...

or you could just buy an mp3 player for 10 bucks about a 1/12 of the size of a 3DS and keep it in your pocket too.
#7skawo93Posted 9/4/2011 12:36:25 AM
crispyo posted...
so you think the only reason that would make the 3DS worth purchasing is if it can play music? 0_0 k...

or you could just buy an mp3 player for 10 bucks about a 1/12 of the size of a 3DS and keep it in your pocket too.

No. TC is just wondering if the 3DS can work as a MP3 player. He doesn't say anywhere it would be a feature that'd make him buy it, and from his wording it may even seem he already had a 3DS.
---
Soon.
#8legendarylemurPosted 9/4/2011 1:21:03 AM
The 3DS sound file support is undeniably limited, but if you have the right kind of file, it makes a very apt music player. It even has a cool drum sound you can play along with the song that you're listening to, which can also be turned off. It also enables you to mess with the song. If you have a short song you wanna make more moody, you can do that. The 8-bit effect in it is slightly not too great though. It makes the song entirely too jumbled. Perhaps it's the enforced limitation on the variety of sound
---
Mass slaughter is fine, but dating sims are OMG MORAL PERVERSION ~ McMarbles
My karma was 666 on May 7th 2011, May 10th 2011
#9xCha0sPosted 9/4/2011 1:38:37 AM
3DS sound is okay, but you cant play MP3s outside of the app, so you cant play them ingame, or anywhere else EXCEPT while in 3DS sound. thankfully you can close the 3DS and use it as a portable MP3 player though, you just cannot game while doing so. i wish they allowed it in the backround, and i dont think nintendo cares enough to update it to.
#10occonoPosted 9/4/2011 11:49:05 AM
It's not very convenient. The headphone jack is in an awkward place for keeping it in your pocket, and you have to open the system to change tracks/albums.
---
3DS FC: 3050 7562 3560
I'm "occono" on Steam and PSN, "occono2" on XBL.