Analyzing The Addon

#51Bahamut_10thPosted 9/8/2011 4:52:30 PM
Didn't DSi have more than just a redesign compared to Lite and DS?
I don't think adding the analog in a new model in 1 or 2 years from now would be so terrible.
---
I have no signature. You're reading nothing.
#52Zanimar(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2011 5:00:34 PM(edited)

Didn't DSi have more than just a redesign compared to Lite and DS?
I don't think adding the analog in a new model in 1 or 2 years from now would be so terrible.

Yes and no. The DSi took out the GBA slot and added in the Cameras and the DSiware system. The cameras were essentially built in addons, much in the same vein people are proposing the second slide pad to be, but they were rarely used and extremely few DS gamed required them and only a few ever had an option to use them. The DSiware system isn't in the vein of an addon and more in line with the WiiWare service. In some ways, you could call it compensation for the lack of being able to play GBA games on the system. In the end the DSi took out an addon slot (the GBA slot) in favor of a permanent addon that was never required and rarely used.
---
Gamertag: Renryuu
Go back, back into a nebulous dream!
#53L0L_FAQPosted 9/8/2011 9:32:35 PM
No, I'm jusr a grumblecake :)

On the Vita boards, they call me a Nintendo riding fanboy. On the 3DS board, I'm called a Sony riding fanboy. Such is life for a logical person...
---
http://i51.tinypic.com/10x7xxl.png http://i54.tinypic.com/2rm9quq.jpg
3.33GHz i7 Extreme, 16GB RAM, 4x HD6990
#54OmegaZero633Posted 9/8/2011 9:39:31 PM
L0L_FAQ posted...
No, I'm jusr a grumblecake :)

On the Vita boards, they call me a Nintendo riding fanboy. On the 3DS board, I'm called a Sony riding fanboy. Such is life for a logical person...

I deem thee...

...a White Sontendroneponyknight Defense Force Member. :b
---
My 3DS FC is 4854-6508-4956.
Let me know if you want to add me so I can add you. :)
#55YAMI_ANUBIS_XPosted 9/8/2011 10:02:17 PM(edited)
@Zanimar

If you think about it this way, Motion Plus didnt come out till late 2008 or early 2009, that is 3-4 years later, that explains why there are just 4-5 games using the add on is cause Nintendo released it late in the Wii's cycle rather than releasing it at the very beginning. This 2nd slide pad add on is being released 1-2 years, probably next year in US and late this year in Japan, thats pretty early compared to how Nintendo handled the Wii Motion Plus add on, which didnt come out till 3-4 years after the Wii was launched.

Theres a big difference between Wii Motion Plus and the 2nd slide pad add on, Wii Motion plus came out 3-4 years after the Wii came out, while this 2nd slide pad add on comes out within 1 year.

Have you ever thought maybe there just trying to calm us down and release an add on, making us think that there wont be a revision with it built in cause Nintendo is a business, thus business tends to calm us down and next thing you know, they release it AKA they lie to consumers to get them to think there not getting ripped off, thats how business works.

Nintendo, when it comes to revisions, revisions always come out 1 year and 5-9 months, when it comes to Nintendo. They may have said there perfectly fine with the current 3DS design but business like Nintendo have to say this, to keep customers from getting pissed, Sony, MS, Nintendo, they all do this, believe what you want about the revision not adding in the slide pad extension, I'm just telling you that Nintendo is a business and business tend to lie all the time.

Great topic anyway, Im not flaming you or anything, just telling you my opinion on how business like Nintendo, Sony, and MS work.
---
GT: Yami Anubis X I believe that is it
3DS FC:1891-1173-7323 Name YamiAnubiX
#56Zanimar(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2011 7:49:18 AM

If you think about it this way, Motion Plus didnt come out till late 2008 or early 2009, that is 3-4 years later, that explains why there are just 4-5 games using the add on is cause Nintendo released it late in the Wii's cycle rather than releasing it at the very beginning. This 2nd slide pad add on is being released 1-2 years, probably next year in US and late this year in Japan, thats pretty early compared to how Nintendo handled the Wii Motion Plus add on, which didnt come out till 3-4 years after the Wii was launched.

I was merely using the Motion Plus as an example of what to expect as a minimum effort of the addon. I personally believe the addon will be more in line with the use the Classic/Gamecube controllers see, as an alternate option in some games for those who do not like to use touch screen. One can see it as Nintendo giving us more ways to play so as to appeal to a bigger audience.

Have you ever thought maybe there just trying to calm us down and release an add on, making us think that there wont be a revision with it built in cause Nintendo is a business, thus business tends to calm us down and next thing you know, they release it AKA they lie to consumers to get them to think there not getting ripped off, thats how business works.

But there is two points to this one. The first being that an addon has never been fully incorporated into a system. Look at the Classic Controller as a prime example. For most of us, we could consider the Classic Controller as necessary and mandatory for any Wii owner and yet it's never included with the Wii. It's something that is sold separately as there is more money in selling it as an addon as opposed to including it with the Wii. Also, outside of the VC games, there are no games that required it's use, while there are several that had it as an alternate control option. The slide pad addon could become exactly that, a control option that many will feel is necessary, but will never be included with the 3DS to increase overall profits.

The second point is that if they did create a redesign that had incorporates the second slide pad, then this can potentially create a backlash that would make Nintendo lose far more money then the potential they could make. First it would cause those that buy the 3DS now to lose faith in Nintendo as Nintendo would come off as not caring about letting old models still be useable and could potentially render the new model useless as well with another model that could incorporate something that would be felt as "required" for future games. Also this would make those who have yet to buy a 3DS to wait for yet another remodel as they would feel that Nintendo would once again add something "necessary" and render the previous models useless. Finally this would end up putting a halt on sales of the current model and the addon and render all money and effort put into R&D pointless and wasted so in the end Nintendo would of lost a lot more money overall from such a redesign.
---
#57Zanimar(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2011 7:49:24 AM

Nintendo, when it comes to revisions, revisions always come out 1 year and 5-9 months, when it comes to Nintendo. They may have said there perfectly fine with the current 3DS design but business like Nintendo have to say this, to keep customers from getting pissed, Sony, MS, Nintendo, they all do this, believe what you want about the revision not adding in the slide pad extension, I'm just telling you that Nintendo is a business and business tend to lie all the time.

I remember them coming out every two years with only the DSi XL being the exception. In addition when it comes to revisions Nintendo does not incorporate anything drastic such as a change in control schemes, it's usually always a change of size, battery consumption, removing BC ability to make it cheaper or in the case of the DSi and DSi XL making it a more of a multimedia device. Currently the only logical revision the 3DS could have is a 3DS XL model since there is no logical addition that could be done that wouldn't be considered drastic or render previous models useless. One thing Nintendo seems to make sure of is that all models of a handheld are 95% the same without incorporating anything that is already available via an addon.

Great topic anyway, Im not flaming you or anything, just telling you my opinion on how business like Nintendo, Sony, and MS work.

Thank you. I appreciate your opinion and respect it. It is nice to see one's different viewpoint and their perspective.
---