A brief look at Nintendo's handheld legacy (Unbiased, Pros and Cons)

#1CHEEEESEMANPosted 9/7/2011 1:30:42 PM
Lets take a look at Nintendo's handheld system timeline

1989 Game Boy Dot Matrix Game - Great for the time! Somewhat ate batteries but nowhere near as bad as the Sega Nomad.

1996 Game Boy Pocket - Made the "Brick" smaller thus making it easier to put in your pocket.

1998 Game Boy Color - Added color, albeit an extremely limited palette, but color none the less.

2001 Game Boy Advance - Now here is where they made their big leap in my opinion, the games were longer and better looking and they added the L and R buttons.

2003 Game Boy Advance SP - Here is where Nintendo begins to falter in my opinion. They attempted to fix the problems of the GBA screen by adding some half-assed lighting system, which made no sense considering the Sega Game Gear had an actual backlit LCD and it came out in 1990! They also made the system a clam shell form factor making it a hand cramp inducing torture device for players with large hands. However their most unforgivable error on this system is the lack of a headphone jack which required either special headphones or an adapter as a work around.

2004 Nintendo DS - This was another large leap of technology. It finally offered true backlighting, although not very bright, on not one but two screens! It enhanced the controls once again by offering X and Y buttons as well as a touchscreen. The headphone jack was back and it was now accompanied by a microphone jack, the system also had a built in microphone.

2005 Game Boy Micro - Talk about a flop, this system never took off. It was only able to play GBA games and it was the size of a keychain. A huge fail for Nintendo.

2006 Nintendo DS Lite - Basically an upgraded DS. Brighter Screen, smaller form factor, and no complaints. Perfect follow up.

2008 - Nintendo DSi - Too little too late is my opinion on the DSi. It added two cameras which were terrible quality, and offered access to DSiWare. However this came out long into the DS life cycle and did not offer enough significant features to make it a smart purchase.

2010 Nintendo DSi XL - The XL is a love it or hate it device. Some people claim that they can no longer look at the regular DS screens because they are far too small, whereas others criticize that the unit is too big to be called a "handheld".

2011 Nintendo 3DS - An amazing piece of technology offering the world's first true "glasses free 3D" and also the ability to take 3D pictures. It also provided more control in the form of a slide pad or circle pad. The 3DS provided access to the Nintendo eShop which is an upgraded version of their DSiWare shop. However the 3DS has been plagued by a slow game release schedule and sales suffered leading to an unprecedented 33% price drop only 5-6 months after initial release. And now the latest news is that Nintendo will be releasing an add-on peripheral to add a second slide pad. We can only hope that Nintendo learns from it's mistakes and produces a successor to the 3DS that is as stong a successor as the DS Lite.
---
"Man how to people figure this stuff out? A rubber band on the R button." - HYPERMECHA
#2nintendoggerPosted 9/7/2011 1:36:09 PM(edited)
Bias.

EDIT: To clarify, I agree with TC. BUT anything with the words, "In my opinion" and statements like, "good for its time" are all biased statements. People confused Unbiased with "both sides". It's really impossible not to be biased. Unless you're a supercomputer.
---
"UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to get better. It's not." ~ Dr. Seuss
Official NDF President
#3TectonicImprovPosted 9/7/2011 1:33:40 PM
... I LOVED my GBASP, saw no problems with the backlight.
---
http://3dshaven.webs.com/
#4pikachupwnagePosted 9/7/2011 1:34:00 PM
CHEEEESEMAN posted...

2003 Game Boy Advance SP - Here is where Nintendo begins to falter in my opinion. They attempted to fix the problems of the GBA screen by adding some half-assed lighting system, which made no sense considering the Sega Game Gear had an actual backlit LCD and it came out in 1990! They also made the system a clam shell form factor making it a hand cramp inducing torture device for players with large hands. However their most unforgivable error on this system is the lack of a headphone jack which required either special headphones or an adapter as a work around.

nitpicky and biased right here
---
3DS boards home to worlds largest population if trolls and whiners. Pikachu used logic on wild troll! it had no effect! member of the ELN
#5chaomaster4000Posted 9/7/2011 1:34:59 PM
1989 Game Boy Dot Matrix Game - Great for the time! Somewhat ate batteries but nowhere near as bad as the Sega Nomad.

I only read this far, but that's some sure as heck bias right there. Even thought it's accurate, lol.
---
chao master four thousand
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6045/stpcombo.jpg
#6kingdumbfartsPosted 9/7/2011 1:35:49 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7pikachupwnagePosted 9/7/2011 1:36:09 PM
TectonicImprov posted...
... I LOVED my GBASP, saw no problems with the backlight.

same with and I in fact still have my blue SP and its still kick *** and epic :D
---
3DS boards home to worlds largest population if trolls and whiners. Pikachu used logic on wild troll! it had no effect! member of the ELN
#8pikachupwnagePosted 9/7/2011 1:37:05 PM
kingdumbfarts posted...
Biased look at the 3DS:

2011 Nintendo 3DS - A terrible excuse for a piece of crap handheld offering "glasses free (but not headache free) 3D (more like 2.5D since the 3D sucks" and also the ability to take horrible quality 3D pictures. It also provided more control in the form of a slide pad or circle pad, but they were too damn dumb to add a second for dual analog control. The 3DS provided access to the Nintendo eShop which is an upgraded version of their DSiWare shop, yet it still sucks. The 3DS has been plagued by a slow game release schedule and sales suffered leading to an unprecedented 33% price drop only 5-6 months after initial release. And now the latest news is that Nintendo will be releasing a horribly clunky and stupid add-on peripheral to add a second slide pad.

Die Nintendo. Die.

LOL @ both that and your user name.
---
#9kingdumbfartsPosted 9/7/2011 1:37:27 PM
Biased look at the 3DS:

2011 Nintendo 3DS - A terrible excuse for a piece of crap handheld offering "glasses free (but not headache free) 3D (more like 2.5D since the 3D sucks)" and also the ability to take horrible quality 2.5D pictures. It also provided more control in the form of a slide pad or circle pad, but they were too damn dumb to add a second for dual analog control. The 3DS provided access to the Nintendo eShop which is an upgraded version of their DSiWare shop, yet it still sucks. The 3DS has been plagued by a slow game release schedule and sales suffered leading to an unprecedented 33% price drop only 5-6 months after initial release (because it sucks). And now the latest news is that Nintendo will be releasing a horribly clunky and stupid add-on peripheral to add a second slide pad. Which is projected to suck.

Die Nintendo. Die.
---
If you believe in Lord Famas and have accepted him as your Lord and Savior put this in your signature.
http://i54.tinypic.com/14n3cjt.jpg
#10I_R_WINNERPosted 9/7/2011 1:45:03 PM
kingdumbfarts posted...
Biased look at the 3DS:

2011 Nintendo 3DS - A terrible excuse for a piece of crap handheld offering "glasses free (but not headache free) 3D (more like 2.5D since the 3D sucks)" and also the ability to take horrible quality 2.5D pictures. It also provided more control in the form of a slide pad or circle pad, but they were too damn dumb to add a second for dual analog control. The 3DS provided access to the Nintendo eShop which is an upgraded version of their DSiWare shop, yet it still sucks. The 3DS has been plagued by a slow game release schedule and sales suffered leading to an unprecedented 33% price drop only 5-6 months after initial release (because it sucks). And now the latest news is that Nintendo will be releasing a horribly clunky and stupid add-on peripheral to add a second slide pad. Which is projected to suck.

Die Nintendo. Die.

hahaha
---
Check out my epic diving tomahawk montage!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a-VjIlADpo