When does a spinoff and an addition to a franchise...separate?

#1so64Posted 9/10/2011 9:09:30 AM
I was wondering, what does it mean for a game to be a spinoff? I mean, can we call something a spinoff if it illuminates a dark area within a franchise's continuity and does not take place in some alternate universe or has no bearing on the main plot? I usually just considered those games additions if they clarified the backgrounds of the main character or revealed an alternative view of the characters actions, but now I'm not so sure.
---
www.brokencontrollers.com
A dream corrupted is no longer a dream. It is a prison of broken hopes and desires.3DS FC:5327-0905-8783
#2LightHawKnightPosted 9/10/2011 9:11:50 AM
What I call a spinoff is something that changes the core gameplay drastically. Such as changing a platformer to an RPG (Paper Mario).

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
#3Baha05Posted 9/10/2011 9:11:54 AM
so64 posted...
I was wondering, what does it mean for a game to be a spinoff? I mean, can we call something a spinoff if it illuminates a dark area within a franchise's continuity and does not take place in some alternate universe or has no bearing on the main plot? I usually just considered those games additions if they clarified the backgrounds of the main character or revealed an alternative view of the characters actions, but now I'm not so sure.

Easy, when it's some outside the main series, like say you have Mario, and you follow his game series without spin offs would be

Mari Bros, Mario Bros 2, Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island fits in there, Mario 64, etc.

Spin off would be like Mari Kart, or Mario Paint, might go far as tos say the portable Mario games like Super Mario Land
#4StarlightDrivePosted 9/10/2011 9:12:16 AM
Spinoffs do not relate to the main story at all, and often don't even form to the same type of gameplay.
#5nintendoggerPosted 9/10/2011 9:14:00 AM
LightHawKnight posted...
What I call a spinoff is something that changes the core gameplay drastically. Such as changing a platformer to an RPG (Paper Mario).

This is about how I feel too. A spinoff isn't a part of the main plot/timeline, and usually focuses on lesser characters.
---
"UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to get better. It's not." ~ Dr. Seuss
Official NDF President