Square: Want more Chrono Trigger? Buy more!

#1PkjoanPosted 9/11/2011 2:23:00 PM
Square Enix Senior Vice President Shinji Hashimoto revealed that the company wasn't very impressed by the sales of cult RPG classic Chrono Trigger during an E3 interview regarding Front Mission Evolved, a reinvention of the Front Mission franchise.

When asked by RPGSite staff if he could foresee Square handing off other much-loved but neglected franchises to external developers as with Front Mission, he asked what franchise we had in mind.

Our response? Chrono Trigger, of course!

"Why does everyone ask about Chrono Trigger?" he laughed. We told him it's a very loved series. "That's not what the sales tell me!" he responded.

"If people want a sequel, they should buy more!"

We'll be posting the Front Mission interview in full shortly, so stay tuned.

Three words: WTF?
---
Nintendo 3DS- Nintendo found 3 ways to Destroy Sony
Official Nintendo 3DS Ambassador
#2strongo9Posted 9/11/2011 2:24:08 PM
Square Enix, the next Capcom. I'm calling it right now. They've already shown several traits of it.
---
Want Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion 2,
Kid Icarus: Uprising, Kirby Mass Attack, Kirby's Return to Dreamland and Skyward Sword!
#3VyersPosted 9/11/2011 2:25:48 PM(edited)
Protip, Hashimoto. When you release a Super NES enhanced port with no truly meaningful updates on the DS for more money than most DS games (the new areas and plots seemed like they were thrown together at the end of development; Hell, most of the new bosses were just recoloured versions of other sprites!), don't be surprised that it didn't sell well.
---
Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Alice in Wonderland (DS), Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
#4AP3BrainPosted 9/11/2011 2:27:18 PM
Well maybe if it was more than just a port then it would get more sales..
#5DiscomasterPosted 9/11/2011 2:28:05 PM
"If people want a sequel, they should buy more!"

If they want us to buy more, they should make more!

I have love-hate feelings towards Square-Enix. They make some pretty awesome games, but they're really stuck up about it. Ooohhh you know how to make menus good and base games on using them. That doesn't make you better than any other developers out there.
#6Pkjoan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2011 2:31:23 PM
I'm starting to hate Square.
---
#7TheloPronoeoPosted 9/11/2011 2:32:18 PM
strongo9 posted...
Square Enix, the next Capcom. I'm calling it right now. They've already shown several traits of it.

They've been showing traits of it for a long time now. Final Fantasy IV has been re-released at least 6 times and will probably be re-released again during the next generation.
#8CrazyhaxPosted 9/11/2011 2:32:32 PM
...They want us to buy second copies of games we already own? I mean, who else is going to buy more copies of an old game?

F***, they're just spoiled with all of the FF milking they do. I'm sure their FF spin-offs make more money than the good titles without the FF name like Chrono Trigger simply because of the FF name.
---
The Hax Series: | Crazyhax | Zestyhax | Haxorus |
No. I | White FC: 3009 8316 2506
#9DucePosted 9/11/2011 2:35:05 PM
Whats the point of being critical about comments made a year ago? FME was released last Sep other than FF and DQ SE is completely focused on western oriented games now.
#10Pkjoan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2011 2:36:28 PM
Duce posted...
Whats the point of being critical about comments made a year ago? FME was released last Sep other than FF and DQ SE is completely focused on western oriented games now.

Well excuuse me, if I offend you!
---