Touch screen =/= a second analog

#1FenderMasterPosted 9/11/2011 7:22:25 PM
Anyone ever play Metroid Prime Hunters? How many buttons did you have access to while holding a stylus in your right hand? Just one, L. That is an issue. Maybe some people like double tapping to jump, touch screen crouch/morphball, touch screen action button, touch screen weapon/item change, but it was awkward. without tactile feedback of buttons/sticks you need to look at the second screen to do thee things, not good in fast paced action games (again If you played MPH's last boss with all the weapon switching, you'd know what an issue this is.

Also camera controls, using the touch screen requires you to take your right hand off the butons and use the stylus, it's awkward, it didn't work in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days.

As for the gyroscope, I won't even dignify that with a discussion.

Some games work without camera control, fixed angle games like RE or DMC. 2D platformers are fine, RPGs are slow so it's not an issue. But third person action games and fps games need one. I know you all hate gray/brown shooters, but loads of people love them because they're good games. All 3D Mario games had on face camera controls.

Controlling camera is very important, and it's why the 3DS needs a second analog to play certain types of games.
---
I know street fighter way better then I know my wife. I keep getting caught in her frame traps -- Lazy Jones
#2AnotherVisitorPosted 9/11/2011 7:26:47 PM
I liked MPH's controls, but diverting your focus to the touch screen for morph/weapon functions could be a bit clumsy. That's why I'm glad the dpad is right below the slider now: easy weapon swapping and other funtions just within your thumbs reach.
---
3DS: 0731 - 4978 - 4269
#3MarsfordPosted 9/11/2011 7:27:30 PM
I'm Marsford and I approve this message.
---
Right now you are reading my signature. Was it worth it? I have just wasted 10 seconds of your life. I find joy in randomly wasting people's time.
#4trenkenPosted 9/11/2011 7:28:06 PM
The controls for Hunters were awful. Ill never play any game that uses controls like that again, which was why I really thought the 3DS would have 2 sticks, but that didnt happen.

Well if an add on lets me play games like that and metal gear properly, then ill take it.
---
3DS 1504-5688-7256
#5FenderMaster(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2011 7:28:43 PM
I would agree with that if i hadn't played Peace Walker on PSP, that game required analog for movement and D pad for weapons, itemps, crouching and leaning. It was just as clumsy as MPH.
---
I know street fighter way better then I know my wife. I keep getting caught in her frame traps -- Lazy Jones
#6Wynters387Posted 9/11/2011 7:28:55 PM
Though you may be right; I wouldn't mind having both options to fully test them out. Maybe if done right it could work nicely for both.
---
3DS friend code: 0087-2310-3975 Creator of the "Reach Around" the back touch screen attachment for the 3DS.
#7PinchekriaPosted 9/11/2011 7:29:57 PM
There already is a touch screen and it's called the touch screen, or if you don't like that then there's gyroscope control.

/nintendrone
---
PSN/Xbox Live/Steam: Pinchekria
http://i.imgur.com/X871v.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Cwrha.jpg
#8VyersPosted 9/11/2011 7:31:05 PM
Thank you.

Touchscreen might be fun, but it's not a second analog stick at all.
---
Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Alice in Wonderland (DS), Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
#9phildoolPosted 9/11/2011 7:32:27 PM
I hate it when people give reasonable arguments... wait... Omg! I just realized that's what I prefer!

Well TC, I now agree with the need for a second analog for 3d shooters (side scrollers don't need it)
---
Warning: Trolling will result in immediate decapitation.
Come again and have a nice day.
#10FenderMaster(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2011 7:33:11 PM
This is also an issue for PSVita, it has two anlogs, but only two shoulder buttons, with both thimbs occupied yuou don't have access to face buttons. Thats why dual anlog games also need 4 shoulder buttons.
---