Touch screen =/= a second analog

#21WaywardUltimaPosted 9/11/2011 8:19:15 PM
As a person who has been replaying Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days for the last week or so, I can say moving my thumb over to the touch screen from the face buttons wasn't that bad to quickly move the camera. I mean it's not like you have to take out the stylus every time you use the touchscreen.
---
You want to see something cool? Press ctrl + w.
Official Matt Engarde of the world
#22NinjaKitsunePosted 9/11/2011 8:20:24 PM
I'd just like to point out that thumb styluses do exist. You aren't necessarily limited to having to use the base stylus.
---
"If I have to come down there again, I will personally blowtorch random people!"
They don't call him Psycho Bob for nothing
#23NnamzPosted 9/11/2011 8:20:28 PM
The back touchpad is still inferior to physical L2 and R2 shoulder buttons. Imagine how annoying it must be to make sure that you're fingers don't touch it while playing a game.

Rather easy considering the back panel has grooves for you to put your fingers on. Hands on reports have stated you get used to this in minutes.

Either way, while it doesn't perfectly solve the missing L2 and R2 button problem, the back touch pad provides you with extra button options while in games which require heavy right stick use. On top of that, every button is used in modern FPS games. In COD, X is jump, O is crouch or dive, triangle is to switch weapons and square is to interact. Nobody complained about this before since it's easy to swipe your thumb over and hit a button then move back. The only button you need to simultaneously press while moving the right stick is the fire button and possibly the grenade button, which can both be accomplished with R and the back touch pad respectively.
---
PSN ID: Nnamz
3DS Friend Code: 3780 - 9095 - 9402
#24PaperSpockPosted 9/11/2011 8:24:42 PM
Ah, but portables are easier to take with you, and additional buttons hurts portability. GBA, I can fit in my pocket just fine. DS Lite, not horrible. PSP 3000...I'd better have big pockets that day. Same thing for the 3DS (mostly due to thickness). There's a tradeoff between functionality/comfort and size. Portables have to stay portable, or else there's little point to them. Sure, this means some control restrictions, but Peace Walker has shown that creative developers can work their way around such problems and still make a standout product.
---
Fame is but a slow decay.
-Theodore Tilton
#25FenderMaster(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2011 8:25:03 PM
you weren't required to use the action buttons or jump ata moments notice mostly, you do need to be able to fire, throw grenade, melee and use iron sights/zoom on reaction though.

The rear touch pad while not ideal, at least doesn't require you to change grip, or look at another screen though, so its not too bad
---
I know street fighter way better then I know my wife. I keep getting caught in her frame traps -- Lazy Jones