A new model announcement is not inconceivable...

#1rockyminPosted 9/12/2011 2:08:16 AM
Note I didn't say "redesign" but new model. I think its very possible that Nintendo could be announcing a new 3DS model this week to be sold alongside the current 3DS. Here is some reasoning:

-The price drop being so drastic at $80. I feel if they just wanted to compete with the Vita, they could have dropped the price by only like $50 and still see a dramatic increase in sales. By reducing the current model so much, a 2nd model priced slightly higher wouldn't seem so bad.

-It would have the 2nd slider and extra buttons built in and they could call it something like the 3DS Pro. It could be priced maybe $20 more than the current model.

-While there would be early adopters that might be angered by this, I think many wouldn't really care or be angered. I myself am a launch 3DS owner, and an announcement like this wouldn't bother me at all.

-With the confirmation from Capcom that the 2nd slider is not required to play the game, it begs the question of "Why bundle it?". It could be sold standalone easily, but by bundling it with the game, it gets the add-on into more peoples hands faster, thus softening the blow of the "Pro" model. It also shows that they can support multiple control schemes thus games could work on both models.

-They could market the "Pro" model to core gamers and the original to casuals at first and then phase out the original model later on.

-To me it seems that getting a newer model out sooner is a better move for the the long run. There's less owners to alienate now and by offering both models and the add-on, people might not feel the need to run out and upgrade right away.

These are just some reasons I came up with for a new model announcement. Again, I'm not proposing a "redesign" that makes the current model obsolete immediately, but merely a 2nd Pro model to be sold alongside the current model, at least at first.

Very interested to see what they have to say at the conference this week.
---
3DS Code:0344-9279-3656
FCs, PSN and Gamertag in profile
#2HiroRaoPosted 9/12/2011 2:26:06 AM(edited)
-The price drop being so drastic at $80. I feel if they just wanted to compete with the Vita, they could have dropped the price by only like $50 and still see a dramatic increase in sales. By reducing the current model so much, a 2nd model priced slightly higher wouldn't seem so bad.

The price drop is to sell units they have made, if they do this sells will drop off when they are already selling it at a loss. It would be huge mistake.

-It would have the 2nd slider and extra buttons built in and they could call it something like the 3DS Pro. It could be priced maybe $20 more than the current model.

That makes the add-on pointless and adding more buttons would make old 3DS units incompatible with future games, causing a huge fury and tanking faith in Nintendo.

-While there would be early adopters that might be angered by this, I think many wouldn't really care or be angered. I myself am a launch 3DS owner, and an announcement like this wouldn't bother me at all.

Early adopters would quickly become lost consumers, they have already felt like they needed to give 20 games, what more could they do? It wouldn't bother you so it's automatically ok from in any sense?

-With the confirmation from Capcom that the 2nd slider is not required to play the game, it begs the question of "Why bundle it?". It could be sold standalone easily, but by bundling it with the game, it gets the add-on into more peoples hands faster, thus softening the blow of the "Pro" model. It also shows that they can support multiple control schemes thus games could work on both models.

Add-Ons have a poor time selling standalone, That's why companies try to bundle them at first to get them popular, and even then it usually fails.

-They could market the "Pro" model to core gamers and the original to casuals at first and then phase out the original model later on.

You are pretty much trying to play off a "Pro" model as being a new handheld in disuse, and that wouldn't work.

-To me it seems that getting a newer model out sooner is a better move for the the long run. There's less owners to alienate now and by offering both models and the add-on, people might not feel the need to run out and upgrade right away.

Meh, still, After everything, Announcing a new model now is pretty much the worst thing Nintendo can do from a business standpoint because the 3DS isn't even really a year old and that would tank faith that Nintendo can make a decent product (They do have shareholders to consider). It also causes a lot more lost revenue than it saves.

The only problem left with the 3DS is software, not hardware. Mostly the lack thereof.
---
Pkmn Diamond FC: 5455 7205 6080
#3d0wnerPosted 9/12/2011 2:30:00 AM
Nintendo won't split the market any more than necessary. As soon as there is a 3DS with two circle pads, the original model will stop production.
---
shoot the core.
#4rockymin(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2011 2:52:37 AM
HiroRao posted...
The price drop is to sell units they have made, if they do this sells will drop off when they are already selling it at a loss. It would be huge mistake.

As I said, $80 seems to be unnecessarily high, they could have dropped it by only $50
to sell those units.

That makes the add-on pointless and adding more buttons would make old 3DS units incompatible with future games, causing a huge fury and tanking faith in Nintendo.

It wouldn't make it pointless. Its available for owners of the current model who don't want to upgrade to the "Pro". And the add-on adds L2 and R2 buttons as well as the second slide pad. That's why I said extra buttons in the "Pro".

Early adopters would quickly become lost consumers, they have already felt like they needed to give 20 games, what more could they do? It wouldn't bother you so it's automatically ok from in any sense?

So since it WOULD bother you, that make it not ok in any sense? I only said it wouldn't bother me to illustrate that there are early adopters who wouldn't be bothered by it. No-one could really say which side would be greater at this point. And the 20 games turned out to be pointless anyway with the whole "scambassador" fiasco.

Add-Ons have a poor time selling standalone, That's why companies try to bundle them at first to get them popular, and even then it usually fails.

Hence why I said to get them into more owners hands faster. If Capcom could support both control schemes with MH, no reason other developers couldn't.

You are pretty much trying to play off a "Pro" model as being a new handheld in disuse, and that wouldn't work.

Why not? As I said, the "Pro" would be more likely target at the core because they would more likely upgrade to that model rather than buy the add-on. The could slowly phase out the original over a long period of time.

Meh, still, After everything, Announcing a new model now is pretty much the worst thing Nintendo can do from a business standpoint because the 3DS isn't even really a year old and that would tank faith that Nintendo can make a decent product (They do have shareholders to consider). It also causes a lot more lost revenue than it saves.

The only problem left with the 3DS is software, not hardware. Mostly the lack thereof.

Yes I know all about the stockholders. Said stockholders could also be wondering why the 3DS doesn't have a 2nd control stick like the Vita does (they generally only understand profits and not much about the company they own the stock of actually does).
---
#5rockymin(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2011 2:53:35 AM
d0wner posted...
Nintendo won't split the market any more than necessary. As soon as there is a 3DS with two circle pads, the original model will stop production.

Not necessarily, they still sold the DS Lite when the DSi came out. Heck, the DS Lite is still being produced and sold at a lower price now.
---
#6HiroRaoPosted 9/12/2011 3:16:00 AM
As I said, $80 seems to be unnecessarily high, they could have dropped it by only $50
to sell those units.

That doesn't change the fact that a redesign, Now, would invalidate the system they are currently producing and selling at a loss. With past systems it was fine because the handhelds were bringing them money regardless of model.

It wouldn't make it pointless. Its available for owners of the current model who don't want to upgrade to the "Pro". And the add-on adds L2 and R2 buttons as well as the second slide pad. That's why I said extra buttons in the "Pro".

Ah, I didn't know the Slider did that (honestly don't care about it, like most consumers won't). I stand corrected. And I agree that where they to do such a bone headed move, that would be their only way to salvage things.

Hence why I said to get them into more owners hands faster. If Capcom could support both control schemes with MH, no reason other developers couldn't.

Companies often don't support add ons because not enough own them and people don't buy them because Companies often don't support them. A cycle of logic that kills most add ons over time. Not doomsaying the Slider, because it'll probably sell well enough, and I agree that a FUTURE 3DS model will likely use it. But said model won't be appearing before they can make up hardware sells.

"scambassador" fiasco.

Ok, This is where I shall no longer disuses with you as you are clearly not reasonable.
---
Pkmn Diamond FC: 5455 7205 6080
#7d0wnerPosted 9/12/2011 3:58:15 AM
rockymin posted...
d0wner posted...

Not necessarily, they still sold the DS Lite when the DSi came out. Heck, the DS Lite is still being produced and sold at a lower price now.

DSi didn't make a major change to the system's control layout. This is uncharted territory for the DS line.
---
shoot the core.
#8Starwars4JPosted 9/12/2011 9:53:15 AM
rockymin posted...

nope.jpg

DS lite was discontinued.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade