How are the other companies doing?

#1ultimalegionPosted 9/13/2011 1:18:49 PM
I'm no expert in economy or stock market, but I would like to know how other companies like Sony, Microsoft, as well as some third parties are doing?

I'm not trying to be pessimistic about this, I don't have faith that Nintendo will put itself out of the trouble it is having right now, I know it will. But it would still be nice to know how the other companies are doing, I haven't researched this stuff because I'd rather be playing the games these companies make, rather than worrying myself deep with how the stock drops or rises.

So yeah, I'll let them play their game, I'll play my games :)

Just want to be informed I guess.
---
Playing Gods Eater Burst and Monster Hunter Portable 3rd!
Nintendo 3DS FC: 3737-9589-0694 PSN: sealofgleipnir XBL: Ragnarok Reaper
#2TerotrousPosted 9/13/2011 1:20:30 PM(edited)
Sony has been doing terrible financially this gen, they lost so absurdly much money that SCE is now operating at a net loss since its inception, despite being highly profitable all through the PS1 and PS2 years.

Microsoft Game Studios continued to lose money until a few years ago, now they're finally starting to post a tiny profit. Still got a long way to get out of that hole, though.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Bonkers"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#3NyyarkPosted 9/13/2011 1:22:20 PM
Wonderful because they're not named Nintendo.
#4ORANGE666Posted 9/13/2011 1:38:12 PM(edited)
Gnik posted...
Sony has been doing terrible financially this gen, they lost so absurdly much money that SCE is now operating at a net loss since its inception, despite being highly profitable all through the PS1 and PS2 years.

Microsoft Game Studios continued to lose money until a few years ago, now they're finally starting to post a tiny profit. Still got a long way to get out of that hole, though.

Microsoft lost 5 billion the on Xbox1, yet they made the Xbox 360. They're barely above the red now, but that took a lot of guts to take that risk again.
#5EndgamePosted 9/13/2011 2:28:56 PM
Sony and Microsoft's game divisions aren't as profitable as Nintendo, who are still sitting on mountains of cash from DS and Wii

these "losses" don't mean anything

no one's going to fall any time soon, unfortunately
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#6LightHawKnightPosted 9/13/2011 2:29:55 PM

Microsoft lost 5 billion the on Xbox1, yet they made the Xbox 360. They're barely above the red now, but that took a lot of guts to take that risk again.

Really? That much?

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
#7strongo9Posted 9/13/2011 2:34:52 PM
Microsoft and Sony haven't done so well these last several years. Just recently has their gaming divisions started to make small amounts of profit. At least Nintendo has a large amount of reserve to fall back in at times when their current systems aren't doing well.
---
Want Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion 2,
Kid Icarus: Uprising, Kirby Mass Attack, Kirby's Return to Dreamland and Skyward Sword!
#8NyyarkPosted 9/13/2011 2:38:31 PM
To be fair, the other companies gaming devisions aren't pure gaming divisions. The have huge corporate backing they can fall on, and they both have whored out to push tech on the consumers for the benefit of other parts of the company rather than their own division directly.

I guess what I'm saying is that snarky comments aside, unlike nintendo whose eggs are all in one basket, they actually shouldn't be judged by the same metrics.
#9ORANGE666Posted 9/13/2011 3:16:39 PM(edited)
LightHawKnight posted...

Really? That much?

Microsoft was really desperate at the time to compete with Sony. They admitted in 2008, that they were interested in buying Nintendo.

""[Ballmer] wanted my attitude, he didn’t care what I’d achieved at Sega, he wanted to know how I was going to win for Microsoft, how we were going to take on Sony, how would we compete with – or acquire – Nintendo,” said Moore. “Those were the conversations in those days. It was a classic build or buy conversation.”

Of course, it’s unlikely that Microsoft would have ever been able to purchase Nintendo, hostile takeover or not; but if it had, it would have completely changed the landscape of gaming today.

Five years ago, Microsoft was plotting hard on how it may be able to overthrow Sony from its market leadership, and Nintendo was mostly ignored as a non-factor. Now, both Sony and Microsoft are battling it out for second place as Nintendo’s lead in the current generation as its Wii console makes it seemingly impossible to match.

“Xbox had launched but it was an aggressive black box for shooters, and how do we evolve that, how do we build the next Xbox, how do we get after Sony?” Moore added. “Interestingly, we were just completely fixated on Sony – Nintendo didn’t even come into the conversation.”""