As long as android\iphone has no d-pad or 4 face buttons, 3ds is safe

#1knightimexPosted 9/14/2011 4:51:00 AM
People keep making claims that smart phones will be the end of vita, and 3ds as long as those Android HTC and Iphones lack actual physical D-pads and face buttons we as hand held gamers have nothing to fear.

Using the D-pad on the touch screen is abysmal with horrible control.

You can't feel where your fingers need to be and since it's limited to 2 simultaneous touches at any given time most games mainly 2d-anything is unplayable at best.

Ever tried to play street fighter 2 on a smart phone using the touch screen as controls?
Or tried playing a game like or actual mario kart on those things?

It's like you're having a seizure!

So relax B.

We ain't got nothing to worry about!!
---
I hate to admit it, but I'm a graphics whore in denial.
#2chickenturkey10Posted 9/14/2011 4:58:23 AM
XPeria Play 4G
---
Wii code: 3632-6979-8230-7885
#3EmoglobinPosted 9/14/2011 4:59:15 AM
Xperia Play is an android phone.

It has BUTTONS!
#4chickenturkey10Posted 9/14/2011 5:00:06 AM
Emoglobin posted...
Xperia Play is an android phone.

It has BUTTONS!

That's what I just implied.
---
#5EmoglobinPosted 9/14/2011 5:01:39 AM
You ninja'd me.
#6chickenturkey10Posted 9/14/2011 5:07:41 AM
Emoglobin posted...
You ninja'd me.

Well, I wouldn't call a minute ninja'd. Did you really have to take over a minute to type that? Lol, I don't care though.
---
#7scotpelkPosted 9/14/2011 5:28:37 AM
I used to think all the news articles and blog posts talking about how smart phones are cutting into the gaming market were a bunch of crap. Lately though, I am starting to wonder how much impact it is having, but even more so what the future holds.

First off, let me say that I agree that a console experience is much richer than any smart phone experience. However, I do find it disturbing that Gamestop is going to have their own branded android tablet as well as a controller designed for it.

On a side note, I work in the paper industry and have seen first hand just how much e-readers such as the Nook, Kindle, and iPad have cut into magazines and newsprint despite how much people declared it wasn't a concern or wasn't as good of an experience as physical media. It does make me wonder if we're underestimating the changing times.
#8YomachaserPosted 9/14/2011 6:48:33 AM
I think people on these boards and other enthusiast sites are a bit cut off as to how big an impact Apple is having. This is because beyond numbers that get quoted in the occasional article most of the Apple scene is only obvious if you own one of the devices.

You'll hear about Angry Birds because of the sheer volume of downloads (350 million and counting/most popular game in history) ,but you rarely hear about all the great proper gamer games like RPG,action,etc without going to mobile specific sites.

In any given month Apple sells about 4-6 million devices that can all play from the same pool of games so for anybody reading this ,yeah the 3DS isn't safe at all.
---
Game Center Id: Yoma Kid
Currently Playing - SF4 Volt,Sword and Sworcery,Nova 2
#9mcsmellingtonPosted 9/14/2011 6:50:54 AM
Yomachaser posted...
I think people on these boards and other enthusiast sites are a bit cut off as to how big an impact Apple is having. This is because beyond numbers that get quoted in the occasional article most of the Apple scene is only obvious if you own one of the devices.

You'll hear about Angry Birds because of the sheer volume of downloads (350 million and counting/most popular game in history) ,but you rarely hear about all the great proper gamer games like RPG,action,etc without going to mobile specific sites.

In any given month Apple sells about 4-6 million devices that can all play from the same pool of games so for anybody reading this ,yeah the 3DS isn't safe at all.

Don't try talking about 'proper' iOS games here, people don't listen. Trust me, I've tried >_>
---
GT: McPoo
#10acdimpsPosted 9/14/2011 6:50:55 AM
exactly, OP. IMO, handheld games are NOT fun when you hands are constantly covering part of the screen to control them.

and on the other side of things, if these phone games are designed NOT to rely on heavy use of controls..well, I dont find that fun either! It just makes things overly simplified.