What caused this medium to explode?

#1darkqueenhelbaPosted 9/14/2011 12:19:20 PM
Back in the day, it seemed like only D&D nerds living in their parents basement used to play video games. Obviously that's not the case anymore. What happened? What really started the turn-around?
---
Wii#7881-1500-1074-0649
Excitebike: 1419-6846-9793
#2KaiRyusakiPosted 9/14/2011 12:20:55 PM
games became "cool"

it wasnt 100% Fantasy based anymore

although LOTR seems extremely popular
#3gunstarzPosted 9/14/2011 12:22:06 PM
The nerds grew up, got good jobs, fertile gold digging wives, lived long happy lives. And they fornicated, like rabbits. Creating more and more nerds.
---
"This is also easily one of the top 10 funniest topics on this board to have been created." - Lord_Frood
http://i.imgur.com/4rSnz.png
#4LightHawKnightPosted 9/14/2011 12:24:55 PM

The nerds grew up, got good jobs, fertile gold digging wives, lived long happy lives. And they fornicated, like rabbits. Creating more and more nerds.

Sounds about right.

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
#5derekfishbowlPosted 9/14/2011 12:26:14 PM
Computers in general were nerdy until the early 90's when the internet got popular. When using a computer was no longer nerdy/unpopular thing to do, games also became mainstream.
#6VampiricDragon_Posted 9/14/2011 12:27:03 PM
gaming is still NOT COOL.

I dont care what people say.
---
Games to Watch: Final Fantasy 13-2, Ninokuni PS3,Persona 5, SRW OG 2,Dragon Quest X,Fire Emblem 3DS, Kingdom Hearts DDD, Paper Mario 3ds, Digimon World Re:D
#7GencoilPosted 9/14/2011 12:29:52 PM
I think it started with PlayStation. You began to see games that had a more serious style and some even had licensed music in them. Gaming was slowly becoming mainstream. Well, maybe not mainstream, but you get the picture.
---
www.klustr.net || Mega Man Legends 3 revival campaign: www.legends3.com || PSN: Gencoil || 3DS: 1848-1656-3420 (PM me! I have SSF43D)
#8LightHawKnightPosted 9/14/2011 12:32:15 PM

Yep, while else does Tretton still say that 3DS is for kids?

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
#9TerotrousPosted 9/14/2011 12:42:38 PM
Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, and Super Mario Bros, in the US at least.

These games were so big that almost everyone played them, and they brought gaming to mainstream culture. Check with your parents or other non-gamers you know of an appropriate age, chances are they played these games.

However, over time, games gradually became more complicated, and many people who just played these games casually found themselves excluded from the market. This is when gaming started to get the association with nerds, because they were the main people who were dedicated enough to master these games.

Genesis, Playstation, and XBox all made various efforts to appeal to more mainstream audiences (usually through pretty graphics, sports titles, or violence), with varying degrees of success, but it was really Nintendo who finally succeeded in bringing games back to everyone with the DS and Wii.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Bonkers"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#10VampiricDragon_Posted 9/14/2011 12:59:11 PM
LightHawKnight posted...

Yep, while else does Tretton still say that 3DS is for kids?

The day when one of my interviewees, tells me that gaming is his hobby instead of feeding me a bs answer like he likes sports or something is the day when its cool and excepted.
---
Games to Watch: Final Fantasy 13-2, Ninokuni PS3,Persona 5, SRW OG 2,Dragon Quest X,Fire Emblem 3DS, Kingdom Hearts DDD, Paper Mario 3ds, Digimon World Re:D