Why does Gamestop need to open boxes when they already have display copies?

#31Lord_FroodPosted 9/14/2011 10:27:46 PM
Yeah, when I bought SMT:DSO, I took the box up and then they pulled the game and booklet out of a file cabinet, put the game in, and then sealed it up.
I really don't care lol
---
"I see past the boobs for the heart." - Mattperd
GOLD BANANA
#32Mariofan15Posted 9/14/2011 10:33:49 PM
WRRYYYYers posted...
1. Only used games can be checked out and played by employees. Checking out new games is prohibited.

2. The display copy must be opened and gutted so it won't be stolen. It's a cartridge, it literally does not matter.

Why? Gamestop has idiot's working for them. What do you expect. Every new game they get is "used" because they let employee's play them which is just stupid and I'm pretty sure they arent supposed to do that.
You are ignorant. Please keep your uninformed opinion to yourself.

No need to be rude. And it's my opinion. I can share it if I want so deal with it.
---
Pokemon White:1979-2643-0071
Nintendo 3DS:3394-3658-2611
#33NICKAROOPosted 9/14/2011 10:52:13 PM
Lord_Frood posted...
Yeah, when I bought SMT:DSO, I took the box up and then they pulled the game and booklet out of a file cabinet, put the game in, and then sealed it up.
I really don't care lol

You dont care that you essentially paid full price for a used game? If you walk out of a store and open a game in the car, and decide you dont want it, you cant return it to the store. Why should Gamestop be allowed to sell a used copy as brand new? Its the same exact thing. Gamestop is crooked and has underhanded and slimy practices. I understand the easiest solution is too simply not shop there, but its amazing some of what they do is legal. Just this and that whole Deus Ex removal of codes thing simply blows my mind.
#34FoofyheadPosted 9/15/2011 1:14:09 AM
Let me know when you find another store that has display copies that always gives you sealed copies.

I don't know any stores around here that have to do that, as GS is not your typical store.

That is, most stores have ways of making sure you don't walk out without paying. And, I have to say, it is very annoying, being forced to get a clerk to open a glass case, just to get my game. This happens in every other store I go to, barring Best Buy. Best Buy's way of doing things is to put it in a glass container, this slows things down when you have a new person at the till.

Anyway, there are other ways GS could do things. I would just slap copies of the front and back of a game box (easily found on the net) onto a cardboard sheet, and then place those on display. Problem solved.
---
Ask a stupid person, get a stupid answer.
#35DoomerangPosted 9/15/2011 8:39:16 AM(edited)
Foofyhead posted...
Anyway, there are other ways GS could do things. I would just slap copies of the front and back of a game box (easily found on the net) onto a cardboard sheet, and then place those on display. Problem solved.

That already is how it essentially works (albeit using blank plastic cases and slips with a display version of the game on it). However, from my experience working in gamestop, you HAVE to make sure that the fake copies are obviously not copies of the actual game (i.e. "display only", no scanning code) if you want to prevent customers from complaining as much as possible.

The reason why an actual copy of a game is gutted is to show that the store actually has a copy of the game for sale; if there's only the "fake" display copy showing, that means that the game is either sold out or not out yet to begin with. If there were only the fake display copies, then everyone would complain when they brought the box up and find that there's no actual copy of the game available. Hell, it still happens even with the gutted copy/fake copy distinction.
---
Kenshin's the Beauty, Kaoru's the Beast? - Mister_Feeny
Would that make Shishioh the candle guy? - Gettles
#36WRRYYYYersPosted 9/15/2011 8:46:30 AM

That already is how it essentially works (albeit using blank plastic cases and slips with a display version of the game on it). However, from my experience working in gamestop, you HAVE to make sure that the fake copies are obviously not copies of the actual game (i.e. "display only", no scanning code) if you want to prevent customers from complaining as much as possible.

The reason why an actual copy of a game is gutted is to show that the store actually has a copy of the game for sale; if there's only the "fake" display copy showing, that means that the game is either sold out or not out yet to begin with. If there were only the fake display copies, then everyone would complain when they brought the box up and find that there's no actual copy of the game available. Hell, it still happens even with the gutted copy/fake copy distinction.

In my experience a lot of people will bring the fake one up anyway because 95% of people are idiots.
---
Official Self-proclaimed [King of Tager]
Phoenix Wright/Arthur/??? DEAR LORD THIS GAME. PSN:OrionSTARS
#37deggdegg2001Posted 9/15/2011 8:48:15 AM
Mariofan15 posted...
Why? Gamestop has idiot's working for them. What do you expect. Every new game they get is "used" because they let employee's play them which is just stupid and I'm pretty sure they arent supposed to do that.

What irony...

L2possessiveform
---
There are 11 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who know binary and make stupid jokes about it.
#38deggdegg2001Posted 9/15/2011 8:50:39 AM
NICKAROO posted...
You dont care that you essentially paid full price for a used game? If you walk out of a store and open a game in the car, and decide you dont want it, you cant return it to the store. Why should Gamestop be allowed to sell a used copy as brand new? Its the same exact thing. Gamestop is crooked and has underhanded and slimy practices. I understand the easiest solution is too simply not shop there, but its amazing some of what they do is legal. Just this and that whole Deus Ex removal of codes thing simply blows my mind.

Given that the used price is only like $5 less for a newly-released game (and if I'm buying a newly-released game, it's likely day-of where there aren't any used copies out anyhow), it's not really a big deal.
---
There are 11 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who know binary and make stupid jokes about it.
#39truevirtuePosted 9/15/2011 6:51:25 PM
Doomerang posted...

How hard could it be to just not put the "fake" copy back on the shelf when you run out of stock.