Nintendo of America's Butchering

#1asiacatdogbluePosted 9/18/2011 11:29:37 AM
I have always hear about how 4Kids screwed up Pokemon, Kirby, and F-ZERO's animated series.

Then, I have wondered that, "doesn't Nintendo of America do the same thing with their respective games?" Ane other games as well.

Name changes, story edits, and other macekres.
#2Nintendo316TPosted 9/18/2011 11:30:28 AM
No
#3NekoakumaPosted 9/18/2011 11:35:34 AM
A lot of things get butchered when they go to the US.

Not so much nowadays, but in the past it was more prevalent.
---
To avoid further confusion: Any 3DS related post made by me, assume it is JPN Region, and yes I am Japanese. Now quit PM'ing me about it.
#4elheberPosted 9/18/2011 11:38:56 AM
No huge butcherings like 4Kids Entertainment. Birdo is actually a dude.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
#5VideoGamer1990Posted 9/18/2011 11:45:19 AM
Then, I have wondered that, "doesn't Nintendo of America do the same thing with their respective games?" Ane other games as well.

Name changes, story edits, and other macekres.

There is Earthbound, but Nintendo sure didn't butcher it.

http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/02/earthbound-legal-issues/
---
Not changing this sig until Breath of Fire VI gets announced.
Breath of Fire needs to stop resting and start waking up. People who agree: 40
#6The Hero Of TimePosted 9/18/2011 11:45:52 AM
If it wasn't for NoA, the brothers wouldn't even be named 'Mario' and 'Luigi'.

I don't think I'd be as excited for Super Jumpman 3D Land, to be honest.
---
When Snake sees a "!" over someone's head, he runs and hides.
When the Pokemon Trainer sees a "!", he beats them up and takes their money.
#7LightHawKnightPosted 9/18/2011 11:56:44 AM
Stories don't get edited much in games, name changes yes, annoying, but not as bad as story editing. 4kids utterly ruined so many anime that it should be nuked over and over again till there is nothing left but a pile of radioactive ash. I have yet to see a game that had entire arcs cut out, weapons changed into toys, a HAMMER ON A FREAKING SPRING as a weapon, water guns instead of guns, guys pointing fingers instead of guns, etc. Or stupid picture changes that don't make any sense what so ever.

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
#8asiacatdogblue(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2011 12:03:10 PM
LightHawKnight posted...
Stories don't get edited much in games, name changes yes, annoying, but not as bad as story editing. 4kids utterly ruined so many anime that it should be nuked over and over again till there is nothing left but a pile of radioactive ash. I have yet to see a game that had entire arcs cut out, weapons changed into toys, a HAMMER ON A FREAKING SPRING as a weapon, water guns instead of guns, guys pointing fingers instead of guns, etc. Or stupid picture changes that don't make any sense what so ever.

I think that 4Kids thing is exaggerated. They only did this with the first Pokemon Movie, Yu-Gi-Oh, and especially One Piece. I don't think the dubs they did for lesser anime(and Smeshiriki) weren't that extreme. Some actually like their dub for Kinnikuman Neisi.

It was the same with Saban Entertainment.

I have also heard that the first two Persona titles were butchered to Hell(though, that's not NoA's fault).
#9LightHawKnightPosted 9/18/2011 12:06:38 PM

I think that 4Kids thing is exaggerated. They only did this with the first Pokemon Movie, Yu-Gi-Oh, and especially One Piece. I don't think the dubs they did for lesser anime(and Smeshiriki) weren't that extreme. Some actually like their dub for Kinnikuman Neisi.

It was the same with Saban Entertainment.

I have also heard that the first two Persona titles were butchered to Hell(though, that's not NoA's fault).

Not exaggerated at all, Shaman King was also butchered, though not as badly and most of the Yu-Gi-Oh series not just the first one and it just goes on. Just with the utter destruction of One Piece they are just terrible and nothing they can do, can redeem themselves of their horrible horrible terrible reputation.

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
#10EmoglobinPosted 9/18/2011 12:09:37 PM
Actually, as far as translations go, NOA is pretty good.