Just got Donkey Kong 94

#1teh1337gosuPosted 9/20/2011 5:35:02 AM
What an amazing game, it feels 10 years ahead of its time.

Handstands, triple jumps, backflips, great physics, 100 stages.

It's so good I was thinking of buying it for my GBA SP to get some color, but the battery in the cart must be over 18 years old.

Is it possible a used game pack would still save data?
---
Yvan eht nioj
#2skawo93Posted 9/20/2011 5:53:22 AM
There is a chance, but it would either run out very soon, or the battery would have to been changed by someone already.
---
The second videogame crash is coming. Soon.
A game for all peeps: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4558852/Find_3_original_pictures.png
#3pansybadgerPosted 9/20/2011 6:01:23 AM
I changed some batteries in a couple of old GB games a couple of years ago, and followed this guide to do it:

http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15464

If you know what you're doing, is actually quite an easy process. If you do decide to buy an old game cart and the battery is out, I hope this helps.
---
Currently playing: Mother 3
Next in line: Xenoblade
#4Gavin_RozeePosted 9/20/2011 7:08:54 AM
It's a cool game. I still need to pick up Donkey Kong 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, so on and so forth though.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0387 8761 0757.
#5ElNurglingPosted 9/20/2011 10:53:12 AM
teh1337gosu posted...
It's so good I was thinking of buying it for my GBA SP to get some color, but the battery in the cart must be over 18 years old.

Is it possible a used game pack would still save data?

I am pretty sure that the Super GameBoy enhanced sounds and palettes don't work on the GBA, only on an actual Super Gameboy (ie the wonky big cartridge used to play a GB game on the SNES). If I am not mistaken you would get a colour palette on GBA, but it would just be a default 4-colour palette.

As far as battery life goes, my DK '94 cartridge battery died a few years ago. It's only my second cartridge with a dead battery out of a couple of hundred games (the first one was Yoshi's Island for SNES whose battery died after just a few years), so I am not sure if battery life is dependant on the game or just random bad luck. It's probably best to be prepared for the worst with a simple game that's almost two decades old. In the worst case scenario you could just leave your GBA/SNES running until you've beaten the game; DK '94 shouldn't take more than a few hours with some practice. Or just pray that VC will get actual Super GameBoy software for games like DK '94 and the DK Land trilogy. :-)
#6teh1337gosu(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2011 6:17:35 PM
I have a copy of Wario Land 2 that saves perfectly.

I am pretty sure that the Super GameBoy enhanced sounds and palettes don't work on the GBA, only on an actual Super Gameboy (ie the wonky big cartridge used to play a GB game on the SNES). If I am not mistaken you would get a colour palette on GBA, but it would just be a default 4-colour palette.

As far as battery life goes, my DK '94 cartridge battery died a few years ago. It's only my second cartridge with a dead battery out of a couple of hundred games (the first one was Yoshi's Island for SNES whose battery died after just a few years), so I am not sure if battery life is dependant on the game or just random bad luck. It's probably best to be prepared for the worst with a simple game that's almost two decades old. In the worst case scenario you could just leave your GBA/SNES running until you've beaten the game; DK '94 shouldn't take more than a few hours with some practice. Or just pray that VC will get actual Super GameBoy software for games like DK '94 and the DK Land trilogy. :-)

I tried a copy of DK94 at a used game store, the game worked perfectly but the battery was dead. Hopefully there will be super game boy on the 3DS.
---
Yvan eht nioj
#7MarsfordPosted 9/20/2011 6:20:20 PM
I didn't realize you needed MORE games to play TC.
---
"honestly if you don't like a system don't go to it's board right?" - Dark_type_Zero - A Sony fan.
#8teh1337gosu(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2011 6:23:58 PM
Nothing like classic GB games to pass 10 minutes here and there..
---
Yvan eht nioj
#9TriforceMaster3Posted 9/20/2011 6:26:31 PM
Gavin_Rozee posted...
It's a cool game. I still need to pick up Donkey Kong 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, so on and so forth though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_Ot0k4XJc
#10MarsfordPosted 9/20/2011 6:26:54 PM
teh1337gosu posted...
Nothing like classic GB games to pass 10 minutes here and there..

Or classic.......DS games.
---
"honestly if you don't like a system don't go to it's board right?" - Dark_type_Zero - A Sony fan.