Circle Pad improves most DS games

#1CraddaPoostaPosted 9/21/2011 5:55:29 AM
I was playing through some of my DS games last night to see how much differently they would control with the Circle Pad instead of the D-Pad.

Fighting Fantasy - The Warlock of Fire Mountain went from fantastic to splendiferous. That game was already win. About as close as the DS ever got to Oblivion. It's even better with analog controls.

Super Mario 64 DS. It's a bit clunkier than I would have expected. Not quite as smooth as the N64 original, but still a world away from either the touch screen or the D-Pad controls.

Goldeneye 007. VASTLY improved.

Even games like Final Fantasy IV feel better when using the Circle Pad for movement.

Are there any games you guys can think of that control like Fighting Fantasy does? I played CORE once on a friend's DS Lite, but the camera controls on that are so sluggish that it isn't even fun at all. I hear good things about Dementium 1 and 2, also.
---
3DS FC - 4811-7145-9541
Remember kids, it's the internet. You have no rights.
#2elihuaranPosted 9/21/2011 6:07:20 AM
It's good for most FPS's. Dementium I & II both work pretty well with it, I just can't reliably trigger the run.

Games I know it doesn't work to well with:

Rock Band 3:
Seeing as this game plays out like Frequency/Amplitude/Rock Band Unplugged, the slide pad sucks so much for this game.

Lego Rock Band:
Pretty much the same reason as RB3.

Band Hero(Drums):
Seeing as this and Vocals are the only instruments you can actually play on the 3DS, the drums are a bit of a b**** with the slide pad. I tend to not play BH on this thing, mostly because the positioning of my right hand for drumming hinders my ability to play.

I have experienced issues with other games, but can't remember them right now.
#3XXDEADKINGXXPosted 9/21/2011 6:15:47 AM
GTA: Chinatown wars feels SO much smoother with the stick. Sure, when your in the car you'll aciddently press down and honk the horn, but it isn't much of a bother!
#490sRetroGamingPosted 9/21/2011 6:25:41 AM
You can add MKDS to the list as well :). since i use the GCN controller most of the time for MKW the circle pad on the 3DS (for me at least) works like a charm compared to the previous DS's D-Pad for MKDS :). it will be amazing for MK7 and also for the free 3DS Ambassador version of GBA MK Super Circuit :D.
---
3DS FC: 1375-7268-6996
#5CraddaPoosta(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2011 9:18:01 AM
I would think the D-Pad would make snaking easier on Mario Kart. I usually use the D-Pad for driving games, anyway.

Which FPS games are the best for the regular DS?
---
3DS FC - 4811-7145-9541
#6netman70Posted 9/21/2011 1:43:33 PM
I remember when playing pokemon ranger (the original) i had to use the touch screen because the d-pad sucked for it. Now the circle pad VASTLY improved that game :D
---
Playing: Borderlands, OoT 3D, Pokemon Diamond, Blackops, Gears of War. GT: Bein Kiterrrrs
BORDERLANDS 2 IS ANNOUNCED!!!!! WOOO!!!! :D
#7logans_run_82Posted 9/21/2011 3:20:04 PM
XXDEADKINGXX posted...
GTA: Chinatown wars feels SO much smoother with the stick. Sure, when your in the car you'll aciddently press down and honk the horn, but it isn't much of a bother!

So that's why my car would honk randomly. lol. just got the game.
---
3DS Friend Code: 4296-3151-0091
#8MBBDarigonPosted 9/21/2011 3:42:58 PM
90sRetroGaming posted...
You can add MKDS to the list as well :). since i use the GCN controller most of the time for MKW the circle pad on the 3DS (for me at least) works like a charm compared to the previous DS's D-Pad for MKDS :). it will be amazing for MK7 and also for the free 3DS Ambassador version of GBA MK Super Circuit :D.

Not if you try to actually win a race >_>
---
http://backloggery.com/darigon/sig.gif
http://raptr.com/badge/4aa3f8d60a933883c5832cd960cc0f77/ach.png
#9CraddaPoosta(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2011 4:50:27 AM
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 is also insanely better now.
---
3DS FC - 4811-7145-9541