$1.99, $2.99, $3.99, $4.99, $5.99, why don't they round up?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. $1.99, $2.99, $3.99, $4.99, $5.99, why don't they round up?

User Info: lizard81288

lizard81288
5 years ago#1
I finally bought something on the e-shop, and everything is .99.....why?! Why not just $2.00?

And if you are wondering, it was an e-shop card i bought. I bought Shantae, but not before I changed my zip code to Portland Oregon, lol.
I hate people in general.

User Info: NickyTheNewt

NickyTheNewt
5 years ago#2
Because $1.99 seems like a better deal than $2 to the average consumer. They do this in retail stores, too.
http://i54.tinypic.com/2ueicrl.png 3DS Friend Code: 2621-2609-5041 (Nick)
http://i53.tinypic.com/55h0ya.jpg

User Info: 19061980

5 years ago#3
It's a subconscious marketing technique, i.e "It's less that two bucks!" It's so simple, but studies show it works.

User Info: rusty9000

rusty9000
5 years ago#4
I'm pretty sure that they do that so average consumer says,"I want to buy another game but am only a couple cents off". Therefore they have to buy the smallest amount which is five dollars and nintendo makes more money that way

User Info: pikachupwnage

pikachupwnage
5 years ago#5
19061980 posted...
It's a subconscious marketing technique, i.e "It's less that two bucks!" It's so simple, but studies show it works.

this
"happy cow happy cow steals your will to live. happy cow happy cow your eternal soul to give- the happy cow song member of the ELN

User Info: Iceyflame

Iceyflame
5 years ago#6
then they charge you tax on your purchases so that kinda messes stuff up even more

User Info: keyblader1985

keyblader1985
5 years ago#7
As long as you're actually aware that it's a marketing trick, I really don't see anything wrong with it. I mean, you're saving money, even if just a penny.

I'm pretty sure that they do that so average consumer says,"I want to buy another game but am only a couple cents off".

...What?
Now Playing: You don't f***ing care.
FC: See Now Playing

User Info: CommanderxGreen

CommanderxGreen
5 years ago#8
It would be nice not to have some pennies left over after every purchase. The e-Shop is so screwy that way. Right now I have $1.16 on my account; it's useless because the minimum fee is $1.99. If I want to purchase a $2 game, I have to add the minimum amount to my account, which is $5. Bah! >_<

Iceyflame posted...
then they charge you tax on your purchases so that kinda messes stuff up even more

91401 is a nice friendly zip code. * whistle *

User Info: AP3Brain

AP3Brain
5 years ago#9
Are you kidding? Have you been living under a rock?

Almost all retailers do this trick...

And yeah.. I wish eshop would just be like PSN... Always have money floating on their system that I have no want to use. Same with stupid xbox live.

User Info: keyblader1985

keyblader1985
5 years ago#10
Okay, tax is a whole different issue that wasn't even brought up until later ITT.

Am I to understand you people are actually complaining about having EXTRA money???
Now Playing: You don't f***ing care.
FC: See Now Playing
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. $1.99, $2.99, $3.99, $4.99, $5.99, why don't they round up?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived