3DS success is above average (lots o' text.)

#1sejan12Posted 9/22/2011 5:13:18 AM
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/87980/3ds-tops-5m-slower-than-wii-ds-ps2-but-faster-than-x360-ps3/

I know its not considered the most reliable source in the world, but it also tends to be reliable within a reasonable margin of error (lets say +/- 10%). All that aside lets assume that it is completely reliable for the sake of consideration.

This system took 25 weeks to hit 5 million sales. Which is rather average. Sure, other system hit it faster (wii and ps2 in particular), but look where the ps3 and xbox360 were at this point. Neither had topped 3.5 million. The point I want to make is that the 3ds is selling at a good rate, an average rate.

But at closer look how average is it? The ps3, xbox360, wii, and ds were all released in november. The ps2 was released in october. The PSP was released in march. (all american release dates for the sake of argument). For sake of memory, the 3ds was also released in march. Every one of these systems aside from the PSP had a holiday season to push its sales numbers up.

The 3ds, despite having one or two months that were so slow is was unbearable is actually selling really well. With a decent holiday push, it could easily amass 8-9 million sales by the end of the year. The 3ds is not failing any more than the xbox360 and ps3 did. It was a little slow during the summer, but it seems to have found a new normal sales trend. The 3ds after 25 weeks has sold 5 million copies. Not a bad number at all considering the world's economy is one of the weakest economies of the past century.
---
MHT Name - Sejan
MHT ID - ZJNHFY (US)
#2TerotrousPosted 9/22/2011 6:20:52 AM
VGchartz is fairly reliable for hardware numbers since they basically just steal those from official press releases.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES SCAT"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#3Lazy JonesPosted 9/22/2011 6:24:30 AM
Yep, the little guy seems to be doing fine.
---
This is gonna sound weird, but for a second, I think you took on the shape of a unicorn
PSN:drpokerface
#4VampiricDragon_Posted 9/22/2011 6:35:52 AM
Anyone want to predict the first fiscal number? IE by the end of march 2011?

Could it possibly approach 16 mil?
---
Games to Watch: FF 13-2,Ninokuni PS3,SRW OG 2,Dragon Quest X,Bravely Default,Fire Emblem 3DS,Kingdom Hearts DDD, Monster Hunter 4,Paper Mario 3ds, Suikoden PSP
#5Wynters387Posted 9/22/2011 6:37:31 AM
VampiricDragon_ posted...

10, oh wait, that's the PSP Go.
---
3DS friend code: 0087-2310-3975 I was born with an atari joystick in my diaper...but not the 5200, mine worked.
#6VampiricDragon_Posted 9/22/2011 6:38:44 AM
Wynters387 posted...

bazinga.
---
Games to Watch: FF 13-2,Ninokuni PS3,SRW OG 2,Dragon Quest X,Bravely Default,Fire Emblem 3DS,Kingdom Hearts DDD, Monster Hunter 4,Paper Mario 3ds, Suikoden PSP
#7brStalkerPosted 9/22/2011 6:40:23 AM
Wynters387 posted...

I doubt the Go will reach the three digit during its lifetime.

I expect the 3DS to at least double the sales during the holiday season. My guess is that the FY will end at around 12m
---
"Which is more evil: Kidnapping a child to use as a tool for world domination, or using your blood child as a tool for world domination?"-Tyranidomega