they shoul do Operation Sunfall

#21Lord_FroodPosted 10/4/2011 5:23:35 PM
I was expecting Boktai.
TC, I am disappoint.
---
"I see past the boobs for the heart." - Mattperd
Official House Speaker AND Secretary of the NDF
#22Second_ChancesPosted 10/4/2011 6:36:57 PM
You WANT remakes of what is one of the most overrated RPG series ever?

No, I'd rather just have arrange soundtracks with actual instruments. The songs are good, but the instruments they use for them on the GBA are awful.
---
Second Chances sure are great. It's nice to be back, GameFAQs.
http://backloggery.com/Ground
#23DiscomasterPosted 10/4/2011 9:01:10 PM
AP3Brain posted...
Discomaster posted...
Well sir, I'll be honest. I don't care for your idea, and I won't buy it. However, if there is a petition for it, I will sign it, because unlike some people, I'm all for more games for everybody.

So you are all for developers wasting their time remaking games that don't need remakes instead of bringing new experiences?

I don't see it as a waste of time considering a development team taking the time to rebuild a game when the blueprints are already there and approved enthusiastically by the creator and the fans of the games alike. It's a great chance for a novice development team lacking strong creative direction to see how a great game is made. The knowledge can be used to assure that their own creations in the future are sure to contain certain elements that will lead to creating a high-quality, enjoyable title.

As for games not needing remakes, I would like to say that re-releases are nice to come by sometimes, for a variety of reasons. Maybe it's a game you played before, really enjoyed, and would be down with playing through it again. Sometimes a remake with a few enhancements goes a lot further than just standard virtual console quality. Sometimes it doesn't (glares at Resident Evil games post REmake), but adding to the consistency of having these classics playable on the most modern of platforms is a nice thing in my opinion.

New experiences are great and all, but it's also nice to have a consistent frame of reference of what it means to be a 'new experience'. It's new to the player, we're not all one living entity that knows that the Legend of Zelda is an old experience while Skyward Sword is a new one... If you were to play Zelda: Twilight Princess, and it was the first Zelda game you've ever played and completed, then went to play the original Zelda, then the original Zelda would still be a 'new experience' to you, since it's still quite different. A remake is great because not only does it bring warm familiarity to those who have played it before, but it allows for other gamers who don't have that familiarity to play an experience that's new to them, that's already tried, tested and true.
#24LordAndrewPosted 10/4/2011 9:28:25 PM
Hell yeah, bring on Super Mario Sunshine remake!

Oh.
---
Official 3DS Embalmer
Now playing: Fatal Frame, The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition
#25AP3BrainPosted 10/4/2011 9:50:44 PM(edited)
Discomaster posted...

All of what you said can be done by just playing games on the VC.

There is no reason at all to remake a lot of the games people are asking for. OoT was OKAY because the graphics were dated and not fully realized and Nintendo knew it would sell no matter what. Games like MM? The graphics are still fine for that game and there was not one thing really wrong with the game that warrants a remake.

Just to give experience to newer development teams? Give them a real task instead of doing remakes of games that don't need remakes. There are actually a few games that could stand getting remakes but none of what people are asking for.
#26legendarylemurPosted 10/4/2011 9:52:04 PM
Not every country has a president guys -_- I think that's what he wants you guys to know. Silly kids
---
Mass slaughter is fine, but dating sims are OMG MORAL PERVERSION ~ McMarbles
My karma was 777 on Sept. 21st 2011... and i wrote an essay
#27Pac12345Posted 10/4/2011 10:01:40 PM
They should do "Operation NO-Fall" Seriously, people, the "fall" suffix needs to stop being in every fan-made petition. I'm still debating whether it's a trend, a fad or lack of originality from the creators... I wonder..,.
#28DiscomasterPosted 10/4/2011 10:12:58 PM
AP3Brain posted...
All of what you said can be done by just playing games on the VC.

Not true. OoT is a great example of a game that benefited quite well from having been remade for the 3DS. Sure the 3D depth may be seen as novelty, and the graphic updates are welcome, but there are fairly significant gameplay changes. Having the touch screen for quick access to your location map as well as a few extra buttons were some of the real kickers for what made it a good remake. Even OoT on the Wii VC has you going into your clunky menu very frequently to change boots in the water temple is really tiresome and irritating. In 3D, not only was it a selectable item, but could also be placed on an extra button created by the screen, so you could set it as a secondary function that you had quick access to. It's the small things that really make the difference... The graphic updates are just appropriate. MM could benefit greatly from this as well.

There is no reason at all to remake a lot of the games people are asking for. OoT was OKAY because the graphics were dated and not fully realized and Nintendo knew it would sell no matter what. Games like MM? The graphics are still fine for that game and there was not one thing really wrong with the game that warrants a remake.

As stated in my previous comments, it's not about the graphics... It's about the gameplay. Imagine Majora's Mask without all the clutter on the main screen... Having all 3 of the most important masks as buttons on the touch screen you have immediate access to at all times, freeing the X and Y buttons for practical tools, the Ocarina as a separate button on the side... There's a lot they could to do make the experience more engaging instead of having to flip through clunky menus so often.

Just to give experience to newer development teams? Give them a real task instead of doing remakes of games that don't need remakes. There are actually a few games that could stand getting remakes but none of what people are asking for.

Really? Take a good look at some review sites. It's not uncommon to see games in the range of ratings between 5 to 7 out of 10, sometimes even lower. Why does this happen? Because developers fail on producing key points in their games, resulting in a game that fails to make the grade. It's times like these when talent-lacking development studios could take a lesson from high-quality games like, coincidentally, the ones we all call for remakes on. And what better a way than to put them to work on working with the blueprints of a game that already works well, and figure out how to improve the experience along the way?

If anything, the gaming industry is over-saturated with crap. New, great experiences aren't all as common as we would like to think they are, and it gets to the point sometimes that it's nice to pick up a classic to remind us of why we actually love playing video games so much. Even remakes are a breath of fresh air in that regard.
#29AP3BrainPosted 10/5/2011 1:30:55 AM(edited)
I don't think updated menus are a good enough reason to do a remake. But I guess that is just me.

The only thing the developers really need to do to make great games is focus on the design stage. Was the way they programmed and made OoT special? Probably not. It is more in the design where it is special. So really all they need to do to understand what makes a great game is to play great games...

Most games nowadays seem to be made actually pretty good it is just the design of the games that suck.
#30mjc0961Posted 10/5/2011 1:27:16 AM

http://majorasmask3d.com/

and ofcourse sign the petition for Majora's Mask 3D if you haven't already.

If you don't because 'it's just one vote, it doesn't matter' then I guess you are not even old enough to vote for presidential elections yet.

I'm not signing because I don't want MM3D. :) And because online petitions never work anyway. Just ask the guys you clearly got the inspiration for your thread title from how they're making out getting those games they wanted released with their petitions. ;)

As stated in my previous comments, it's not about the graphics... It's about the gameplay. Imagine Majora's Mask without all the clutter on the main screen... Having all 3 of the most important masks as buttons on the touch screen you have immediate access to at all times, freeing the X and Y buttons for practical tools, the Ocarina as a separate button on the side... There's a lot they could to do make the experience more engaging instead of having to flip through clunky menus so often.

MM's problem was not clunky menus. You could fix the menus and it'd still be a boring game with poorly used time travel mechanics, bland dungeons, an uninteresting plot, and overall still just a game the Zelda series would be better off forgetting.
---
YOU'RE a pie chart.