Buying a 3DS later today, questions...

#1_Scorch_D62Posted 10/4/2011 9:51:21 AM
First, is a screen protector necessary? I haven't used one on my DSi or PSP 3k and both are still in pretty good shape. I don't mind minor scratches that only show up under light at certain angles. I'm wondering though if it would be a good idea to get some because of the bottom half scratching the top when it closes. Is the top screen pretty scratch resistant?

Second, Flare Red or Cosmo Black? I'm leaning more towards black because in the videos on YT that I've seen the Flare Red top half looks really nice until you see the back of the unit and it's kind of red-orange colored which I don't like. Are they all built the same though? As in nothing has changed since launch?

Third, I'll update it right away and get 4 swords and probably the 3D Pokedex. Are there any trailers I should watch and how do I download them? I've seen a couple on my sister's Aqua Blue 3DS and couldn't figure out how to download them. I know I want to see Animal Crossing trailer and Super Mario 3D Land if they have one.
#2SPDShadowRangerPosted 10/4/2011 10:00:44 AM
_Scorch_D62 posted...
First, is a screen protector necessary? I haven't used one on my DSi or PSP 3k and both are still in pretty good shape. I don't mind minor scratches that only show up under light at certain angles. I'm wondering though if it would be a good idea to get some because of the bottom half scratching the top when it closes. Is the top screen pretty scratch resistant?

Second, Flare Red or Cosmo Black? I'm leaning more towards black because in the videos on YT that I've seen the Flare Red top half looks really nice until you see the back of the unit and it's kind of red-orange colored which I don't like. Are they all built the same though? As in nothing has changed since launch?

Third, I'll update it right away and get 4 swords and probably the 3D Pokedex. Are there any trailers I should watch and how do I download them? I've seen a couple on my sister's Aqua Blue 3DS and couldn't figure out how to download them. I know I want to see Animal Crossing trailer and Super Mario 3D Land if they have one.

Screen protectors are never necessary although with the 3DS I would recommend them. Get the Hori ones.

All models feature a three variation color scheme with the main color. It is less notable with the black though.

There is currently a section on the eshop called something like Game Previews. Just click on that, click on the video you want to download and press tap to downland.
#3_Scorch_D62(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2011 10:06:18 AM
Alright, thanks for the help. Hori screen protectors I'll buy on Amazon I guess. Haven't seen them in stores.
#4Rainmaker59Posted 10/4/2011 10:30:13 AM
Here's info on how to download the Pokedex.

http://www.pokedex3d.com/eshop.html
---
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.
~ John Lennon
#5elheberPosted 10/4/2011 10:53:47 AM
I don't use a screen protector and I'm perfectly happy. The bottom doesn't actually scratch the top screen (although we've heard claims by some that it has for them), but instead just leaves marks which can be wiped off. Screen protectors don't prevent those.

Color choice is ultimately yours to make. Red turns orangish on the back, blue turns tealish on the back, and black turns cobaltish.

The previews are easy enough to find in the eShop. There used to be E3 videos you had install on your system, but now you can view them directly on the eShop channel.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
#6scotpelkPosted 10/4/2011 11:02:58 AM
1) As long as you're not really going at it with the touch screen, a screen protector isn't necessary, but it certainly doesn't hurt, especially for the price. I've always used them since the GBA SP and if put on properly you'll never know they are there and it won't affect stylus use. Hori is definitely top quality stuff and doesn't use the types of adhesives that will mess up your screen or leave behind residue. The ones I got for the 3DS (dirt cheap on eBay) cover all of the top section, which is nice because it seems like scratches on the black area to the left and right of the screen would be more noticeable.

tl:dr - No, but get them anyway

2) You can never go wrong with black. It will match most cases, accessories, etc. too.

3) It's pretty intuitive like the guys said.
#7kukingina2Posted 10/4/2011 11:31:23 AM
Black is a common color and it looks like cheap plastic imo grab the red or blue one
---
3ds fc: 4940-5506-2047
#8Miggi3Fr3shPosted 10/4/2011 12:06:45 PM
I would go with the black over the red. My friend has the Red and i thought I would be jealous since Red is my favorite color but I don't like it at all. I have the black and no complaints although my sis has the blue and I actually like that one a lot.
---
Black: Azaezal 3095-7582-1802
"You love me. Real or not real?"
#9mizukage2Posted 10/4/2011 12:51:13 PM
Black is best if you are planning on playing a lot of DS games and virtual console/dsi ware titles. It makes the shift in resolution a lot less notable.
---
http://gerardwhyte.net/images/misc/reaganomics.jpg
#10netman70Posted 10/4/2011 12:58:13 PM
Screen protectors aren't exactly a must have, but they don't hurt. I don't have them though.
I got the black, its absolutely awesome looking.
---
3DS FC: 4081 5672 7093 Name: Camo. PM me with FC if you add me.
Diamond FC: 2022 2406 3297 Name: Camo