Buying a 3DS later today, questions...

#11_Scorch_D62(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2011 1:09:35 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. Appreciate it. I think I'm going with black. The red one is nice and all but I like the black better after seeing some more videos. Fingerprints showed up a lot on the red one in one of the videos I saw a while ago.

If they had released the green 3DS instead, I wouldn't hesitate to get that one.
http://www.wiiff.com/photos/1286248199.jpg

So nice.
#12tfalcoPosted 10/4/2011 1:57:05 PM
Screen protector for the top screen is necessary....

A LoZ green 3ds to celebrate their 25th anniversary would have been sick.....
---
3DS - FC: 4511-0462-4833, Mii: Thomas
#13dynamykePosted 10/4/2011 2:19:12 PM
mizukage2 posted...
Black is best if you are planning on playing a lot of DS games and virtual console/dsi ware titles. It makes the shift in resolution a lot less notable.

You dont need to get black at all for this reason. All 3DS top screen color is always black. The bottom of everything and the top panels outer plate is the color of the system but inside top panel is always black for that very reason.
---
VideoGame playthroughs: youtube.com/mightywebscoprion
#14keyblader1985Posted 10/4/2011 2:44:59 PM
Yep, once you go black you don't go back. I was thinking of getting the blue one, but ultimately I was put off by the fact that the inside of the top screen is still black. IMO black is still king of the three colors.
---
Now Playing: You don't f***ing care.
FC: See Now Playing
#15badgraphix1Posted 10/4/2011 5:06:53 PM
mizukage2 posted...
Black is best if you are planning on playing a lot of DS games and virtual console/dsi ware titles. It makes the shift in resolution a lot less notable.

How so? It won't even matter when looking at the top screen, since all of them are black in that area.
---
Pokemon Red & Blue in full color: http://i51.tinypic.com/1zc264n.jpg
#16lbakinbaconlPosted 10/4/2011 5:26:05 PM
scorch, what up nub.
---
idkmybffjill
#17_Scorch_D62(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2011 5:31:28 PM
Hey guys, just got back and I have my black 3DS with me. It looks so much nicer in person, damn. One thing though, my hinge makes that snapping noise when it's opened. I know this meant hinge-problems in DS Lites but I'm hoping it's different here.

Anyone else have one that snaps and does it go away / have you had problems with it? I really don't want to have to exchange it. Mostly because nothing else is wrong with it. All the buttons click just fine, no stuck pixels or anything and I don't want to jump in that cycle of exchanges. Also, mine came with FW Ver. 1.1.0-OU so I assume it's a batch that came right after launch if it matters.
#18levyjl1988Posted 10/4/2011 9:03:31 PM
I was a screen protector type of guy until I moved away from it. Sure I applied a screen protector for the GBC, GBA, DS, DSlite, iPod Touch, but for the 3DS I don't think a screen protector is necessary imo.

Here's why:

The screen protector won't overlap the speakers. It's one slim surface, although this can prove some problems.

You'll probably have more trouble with dust going under your screen than scratches.
If you close your 3DS then it would protect from scratches. Just take care of your device.
If anything wait 2-3 yrs and there will be another iteration with the dual analogs infused with a slimmer design and a longer lasting battery.
---
Too many Games, soo little time.
Add me online: Xbox Live / PSN: levyjl1988 | Wii FC: 4573 9661 36954390
#19scotpelkPosted 10/5/2011 5:18:14 AM
levyjl1988 posted...
I was a screen protector type of guy until I moved away from it. Sure I applied a screen protector for the GBC, GBA, DS, DSlite, iPod Touch, but for the 3DS I don't think a screen protector is necessary imo.

Here's why:

The screen protector won't overlap the speakers. It's one slim surface, although this can prove some problems.

You'll probably have more trouble with dust going under your screen than scratches.
If you close your 3DS then it would protect from scratches. Just take care of your device.
If anything wait 2-3 yrs and there will be another iteration with the dual analogs infused with a slimmer design and a longer lasting battery.

If I'm understanding you right, the one I got DOES cover the entire top section, not just the screen, and has small circles cut out for the speakers. IMO, it actually looks quite nice this way because there is no border around the screen of where the protector ends. Unless you look at the speakers, it's like one isn't even there.