Cave Story: of delays....

#1panama_chiefPosted 10/8/2011 7:43:13 AM
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/07/nis-america-talks-about-neptunias-success-and-concerns-for-cave-story/

Haru Akenaga, President of NIS America: Iím really worried about sales for Cave Story. Itís not the quality of the game, itís the market. Actually, we could have released the title in the summer of this year, but the market was not great then. Almost all of the retailers did not want to carry 3DS titles that were not AAA titles. Thatís why we postponed the release of Cave Story until the market conditions improved. Now there are many big titles coming and that should be better for 3DS. I hope Cave Story will have reorders and always have a spot on store shelves.

bolded part is the most upsetting. the game is complete and they've been sitting on it hoping to make a buck. now theyre going against mario. they shouldve just dropped the game as early as possible.
---
YOINK!!! [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[|||||||||||||||]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] STOLEN!!!!!!!!!!!
I steal things......
#2ZanimarPosted 10/8/2011 7:59:40 AM
That's the problem with most developers in this age. If a system didn't sell 30 million on the first day, the developers freak out and think their games won't sell so they hold out for a time when there are more of that system. Problem then becomes that because developers hold games until the systems sells enough models that satisfy them, there becomes a lack of games for the system. If there is a lack of games for the system, the system becomes less than ideal to own and so people wait until more games are released. It's an cycle that should never of occurred in my opinion.

We as the consumers can only wonder how well they would of actually done if they had released Cave Story back in the summer. Heck, it could of been the game that would of made 3DS sales skyrocket, but well never know. Now they choose to release the game during a time where major games are coming to the 3DS. All I can say is that I hope they don't blame the 3DS and consumers for the poor sales of Cave Story.
---
Gamertag: Renryuu
Go back, back into a nebulous dream!
#3SlaysmePosted 10/8/2011 8:10:14 AM
Zanimar posted...

We as the consumers can only wonder how well they would of actually done if they had released Cave Story back in the summer. Heck, it could of been the game that would of made 3DS sales skyrocket, but well never know. Now they choose to release the game during a time where major games are coming to the 3DS. All I can say is that I hope they don't blame the 3DS and consumers for the poor sales of Cave Story.

i posted this on nis Americas FB. i gave you credit.
---
I don't generally go around bashing religion, because you can't turn a sheep into anything but clothes and food.
#4Blaze627Posted 10/8/2011 8:10:22 AM
Yeah, Cave Story would have probably done better during the summer software drought (IIRC, the game would have been released just four days before the price drop; it would have made for a perfect pick up for new 3DS buyers) than it'll most likely do against the likes of Mario 3D Land.
---
"Samuel Jackson! Made painstakingly by me, Samuel Jackson! It'll get you drunk!"
#5dizanimatorPosted 10/8/2011 8:24:52 AM
The logic seems bad to me. Assuming that they have a good game, releasing it when there are not a lot of 3DS games out, and fewer good games would make their game stand out as a game to get for the system. Waiting until more good games are out puts their game into a larger group and makes it less likely that it will stand out as a game that most people should get.
Hasn't anyone ever pointed out that customers want games with the hardware, and waiting until more systems have sold to release a good game results in more people waiting to buy the system?
#6ssbmrocksPosted 10/8/2011 8:32:43 AM
That is just disappointing :( I was under the impression they pushed it back in order to work on it more or something.

Oh well guys, it's just one more month.
---
Mermaid Man: "Sure, the power's all in the costume. Why else would we run around in colored undies?
Squidward: "I can think of 3 good reasons :)
#7silver knuxPosted 10/8/2011 8:52:33 AM
I'd be willing to bet that it doesn't sell very well now and the system will be blamed instead of the poor release timing.
---
Wielder of the Legendary Halberd of Noobpwnage+4
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/silvex/Photos/Lego/SuperGate.png
#8Boomer_KuwangaPosted 10/8/2011 9:01:08 AM
bronx718 posted...
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/07/nis-america-talks-about-neptunias-success-and-concerns-for-cave-story/

Haru Akenaga, President of NIS America: Iím really worried about sales for Cave Story. Itís not the quality of the game, itís the market. Actually, we could have released the title in the summer of this year, but the market was not great then. Almost all of the retailers did not want to carry 3DS titles that were not AAA titles. Thatís why we postponed the release of Cave Story until the market conditions improved. Now there are many big titles coming and that should be better for 3DS. I hope Cave Story will have reorders and always have a spot on store shelves.

bolded part is the most upsetting. the game is complete and they've been sitting on it hoping to make a buck. now theyre going against mario. they shouldve just dropped the game as early as possible.

Are you brain damaged? This was the best move they could have made. Waiting until there were significantly more units in the wild ensures a larger market for a game. A niche game like Cave Story needs every potential buyer it can get. How many people will pass this up because they have it in Dsiware, or on their computer? It's a great game. I'm psyched for it, but it's not my top priority. Releasing later on in the year is the correct move.
---
"It was really great, stealing zombie Jesus's legendary Horse Wiener."
#9SUPER3METROIDXPosted 10/8/2011 9:03:42 AM
I don't understand why developers do this. They act like their game will only sell a few weeks after release. The earlier you get it out the longer it's there. If they had released it in the summer they would have gotten summer and fall sales. Now because they were too stupid to just put it out, it'll only have fall sales and probably get overshadowed by super Mario 3ds. And of course they'll either blame Nintendo or the customers for their poor sales.
#10panama_chief(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2011 11:57:21 AM
Boomer_Kuwanga posted...
Are you brain damaged? This was the best move they could have made. Waiting until there were significantly more units in the wild ensures a larger market for a game. A niche game like Cave Story needs every potential buyer it can get. How many people will pass this up because they have it in Dsiware, or on their computer? It's a great game. I'm psyched for it, but it's not my top priority. Releasing later on in the year is the correct move.

They had a completed game and held it back not knowing that a price drop was on the way. They didn't know more people were going to buy the console. Their decision isn't smart, it was a gamble. Now that gamble has them running against the worlds most iconic figure, who happens to share the same genre. You think people are picking cave story over Mario this holiday season? 3DS is said to have sold the full 4 mil of inventory in it's first few months....how much more did NIS want? Once they saw that the market wasn't buying why wouldn't they put their game out and satiate the appetite of gamers during the drought? I wish these guys well. I already know November/December is going to have me over budget, but my pockets won't be stretching out for cave story. not after this.
---
YOINK!!! [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[|||||||||||||||]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] STOLEN!!!!!!!!!!!
I steal things......