The 3DS revision will be called...

#21elheberPosted 10/9/2011 8:42:28 PM
I want you to know, toma, that you are part of a slim minority that think the Game Boy Color was a redesign/revision to the Game Boy. Or, quite possibly, you're part of an even slimmer minority that think the DSi was the successor to the DS platform, and not a redesign/revision. Nintendo considers the Game Boy Color a successor to the Game Boy, and the predecessor to the Game Boy Advance. Isn't that enough?
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
#22MattperdPosted 10/9/2011 8:42:35 PM
bellzemo posted...
..."3DS right" cause they are gonna get it right this time.

If it's wrong right now, it'll blow my mind what you guys consider "right".

I friggin' love my 3DS right now.
---
OBJECTION! ... In 3D!! Official VP of the NDF
#23toma13Posted 10/10/2011 10:54:18 AM
elheber posted...
I want you to know, toma, that you are part of a slim minority that think the Game Boy Color was a redesign/revision to the Game Boy. Or, quite possibly, you're part of an even slimmer minority that think the DSi was the successor to the DS platform, and not a redesign/revision. Nintendo considers the Game Boy Color a successor to the Game Boy, and the predecessor to the Game Boy Advance. Isn't that enough?

From a technical standpoint, they are both slight hardware revisions. The GBC had four times as much RAM, twice the processor speed, and a color display. The DSi had four times as much RAM, twice the processor speed, 256MB internal memory, SD card support, and a camera. GBC-enhanced games play on an old GB without GBC features. DSi-enhanced games play on an old DS without DSi features. GBC-exclusive games won't work on an old GB. DSi-exclusive and DSiWare games won't play on a DS.

There are huge parallels between both systems. From a technical standpoint, the upgrade over their predecessors is nearly identical. Either both are revisions, or both are new systems. In all honestly I'd consider them both to be new systems because both have new libraries that their predecessors could not play, but I can definitely understand the technical argument that supports them both being revisions. What I can't understand is how the GBC is widely considered to be a new system while the DSi is widely considered to be a revision.
---
Username for pretty much everything: BngryBt
#24elheberPosted 10/10/2011 11:37:44 AM
The CPU on the GBC was the next generation of the CPU on the GB with a different architecture, not just an increase in clock speed. Not even the Wii can say that. The new architecture meant some old GB games could not be played on the GBC.

Most importantly, Nintendo themselves labled it, categorized it, and marketed it as the next generation to the GB. The push meant the old system would be phased out and developers would begin to focus solely on the GBC. The result of that is a huge GBC-only library. I do see the parallels between GBC-only and DSiWare, though. With the launch of the DSi, the Lite was still being pushed and produced by Nintendo (is it still? I can't check the website ATM). As such, developers who used the DSi's extra power at retail were few and far in-between. This was Nintendo, quite official.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
#25LinetrixPosted 10/10/2011 11:40:16 AM
I heard Nintendo wants to call it 3DS Vita, but is having some trouble due to copyrights.
---
It doesn't matter the additional notes say opinions aren't trolling. The Notes are wrong and your opinion is trolling - GameFAQs moderation
#26adampeltzPosted 10/10/2011 5:32:36 PM(edited)
"3DualStick"

But they'll just abbreviate it back to 3DS.
---
Xbox Live gamertag: Peltz
#27toma13Posted 10/10/2011 7:24:28 PM
elheber posted...
The CPU on the GBC was the next generation of the CPU on the GB with a different architecture, not just an increase in clock speed. Not even the Wii can say that. The new architecture meant some old GB games could not be played on the GBC.

The architecture was the same. They used the same processor, a modified Sharp Z80 clone. The processor speed was just doubled. Which GB games are not GBC compatible? I've honestly never heard of any.

Most importantly, Nintendo themselves labled it, categorized it, and marketed it as the next generation to the GB. The push meant the old system would be phased out and developers would begin to focus solely on the GBC. The result of that is a huge GBC-only library. I do see the parallels between GBC-only and DSiWare, though. With the launch of the DSi, the Lite was still being pushed and produced by Nintendo (is it still? I can't check the website ATM). As such, developers who used the DSi's extra power at retail were few and far in-between. This was Nintendo, quite official.

If you check the 3DS manual, it considers DS and DSi games to be two different things. That's pretty official too. The DSi may not have as large a library on cartridge as the GBC, but if you include DSiWare then it's actually pretty comparable. It's a large library of games that the DS lite can't play. As well, GB-compatible GBC games were being made all the way into 2002, past the launch of the GBA, so the old system was not phased out immediately. It was drawn out over the entire life span of the GBC until after the GBA was launched.
---
Username for pretty much everything: BngryBt