How would you rank the importance or impact of the different elements of a game?

#1MarsfordPosted 10/9/2011 1:13:15 PM
Elements being gameplay, story, OSTs, graphics/art style, charm/atmosphere, replay value (content, etc.).....I can't think of any others. Of course it depends on the game (RPGs are more story-centric, horror games need atmosphere), but try to generalize for your preferences.

IMO:

Gamplay > story > OSTs >> replay value > charm/atmos >>> graphics.

For me one of my favorite games is Xenogears. My favorite plot of any VG, but I cannot stand the battle system, so story has a huge impact for me.

Oh, and 80/80.
---
"honestly if you don't like a system don't go to it's board right?" - Dark_type_Zero
Official Warrior General of the NDF.
#2nintendoggerPosted 10/9/2011 1:20:39 PM(edited)
Taking the terms you provided, and taking my personal preferences, I would look like this... (top being most important)

"Gamplay > story > OSTs >> replay value > charm/atmos >>> graphics."

Story
Gameplay
Charm/Atmosphere
Graphics and OST
Replay Value

Thanks So64, now fixing.
---
My Nintendogs: Zelda-FrenchBulldog, Wilson-BassetHound, R.O.B.-Calico, Gatsby-Pomeranian, Molly-English Springer.
Official NDF President
#3so64Posted 10/9/2011 1:18:35 PM(edited)
nintendogger posted...
Taking the terms you provided, and taking my personal preferences, I would look like this... (top being most important)

"Gamplay > story > OSTs* >> replay value > charm/atmos >>> graphics."

Story
Gameplay
Charm/Atmosphere
Graphics
Replay Value

*What is OSTs?

Original Sound Track.

EDIT: For me it would be

Gameplay Replay Value OST Charm/Atmosphere Story Graphics
---
www.brokencontrollers.com
Baba yetu, yetu uliye Mbinguni yetu, yetu amina!. Hope springs eternal. 3DS FC:5327-0905-8783
#4netman70Posted 10/9/2011 1:21:26 PM
For me it goes:

Gameplay > Story > Replay Value > Charm/atmos > Graphics > OSTs.

Music isn't of huge importance to me as long as it doesn't make my ears bleed :p
---
3DS FC: 4081 5672 7093 Name: Camo. PM me with FC if you add me.
Diamond FC: 2022 2406 3297 Name: Camo
#5Jonwh18Posted 10/9/2011 1:21:39 PM

-gameplay

-content or incentive to keep playing

-graphics

-how wide spread the game is,everyone had a ds and MK back in the day so it was a very valuable DS game cuz you could play on almost every bus ride car trip with friends part of the reason crap games can be so popular like cod on xbox360 ....everyone has it so they can all play it together(not saying MK DS was a crap game or anything)

#6RYeBlackPosted 10/9/2011 1:26:10 PM
Top to least priority:

1-Gameplay
2-Story/Presentation
3-Sound/Music/OST
4-Graphics
5-Replayability

And to some extent:

6-Critic Reviews
7-Price
#7Lord_FroodPosted 10/9/2011 1:32:52 PM
More ">>>" means it's a larger gap between them.

Gameplay>Story>>>Music>>Replay value>>>graphics.

I'm a big RPG fan, so that explains it. However, I love platformers and SHUMPS so I ignore the Story aspect in those games. I really don't think Axelay needs much of a story. It'd be nice, but I won't complain about it.
---
"I never half-step cause I'm not a half-stepper, drink a lotta soda so they call me Dr. Pepper." - Phife Dawg
#8Bahamut_10thPosted 10/9/2011 1:51:31 PM(edited)
In order of importance, in my opinion:

Artstyle-> Ugly and ridiculous as hell? Downright overrealistic with men who don't get shaved properly? Too generic (if manga style)? If yes: Probably won't bother playing; If no: Will at least try the game.
Main character-> What he looks like, what he behaves like, what he moves like.
Gameplay-> What will I be doing 80% of the time in order to progress in the game? If I like it, then I'll proceed to evaluate the next element.
Soundtrack-> A terrible soundtrack can ruin my mood to play. Hate 90% of the soundtracks with lyrics in them, and don't want any hip-hop/rap crap on it either. Has to be fitting to the game. No hard rock with ridiculous lyrics in, say, a childish game starred by cartoonish hedgehogs. I'll replay certain games just because of their soundtrack, even.
Graphics-> Is it good? As in, is it FITTING to the gameplay? Does the graphic bothers me any bit despide being outdated by other peoples' standard?
Replay Value-> Is there any point playing from beginning to the end again, other than seeing the same events happening/going through the same stages, or just beating high scores? If not-> I won't bother playing it again, unless it's a game I simply LOVED.
Story-> The element I care about the least. Even if it's a RPG. I don't care if the story is as simple as: "Princess is kidnapped. Go save her!" However if the story in a RPG is actually good, it may make me love the game.
---
Not changing this signature until a new good Bomberman game is released.
#9pikachupwnagePosted 10/9/2011 2:25:59 PM(edited)
1. Gameplay/controls
2.music/graphics/charm/atmosphere
3.replay value
4. story
---
This post is in 3_D. Wii U... just be glad its Not Wii P.
Official attorney general of the NDF. member of the ELN
#10playboydojoPosted 10/9/2011 1:55:45 PM
Gameplay > replayability > charm.

The rest doesn't even rank to me--I have no interest in them.
---
I've decided to not have a sig because nobody reads it anyway. Not even you.