How would you rank the importance or impact of the different elements of a game?

#61VyersPosted 10/10/2011 1:08:53 PM
Starwars4J posted...
Gamplay > replay value > OSTs >> charm/atmos>= story >>> graphics.

Gameplay and replay value by far determine my favorite games. I rarely replay any games, but my favorites...I can pick up and play any time and still love it. Story is kinda silly as there's not a game out there with an actual deep story, anyone thinking so should pick up a real book where it's the focus, and made by real professionals. Story is really a vehicle to give you a reason to play, and as seen by the mario titles is really not needed much at all for a great title. Of course it can always add atmosphere and immersion (Tales of Symphonia, Okami), but not necessary (Super Mario World, Pokemon Red, Sonic the Hedgehog). The same is said of charm and atmosphere, although they more directly play into the experience and enjoyability. The music usually goes unnoticed in many titles, but those that master it and its use really have a nice contribution (Okami, Pokemon, Mario). Graphics are like story, but less important by far.

There are quite a few games with a deep story.
---
Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Alice in Wonderland (DS), Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
#62MicroOmegaManPosted 10/10/2011 4:09:03 PM
Gameplay Charm Music Content Art style Graphics Story

Though I'd really like to say Charm = Music = Content = Art Style in the above string, because I think the art style has a lot to do with charm, and it's hard for me to generalize those components thanks to the varying genres.

I don't need any story to enjoy a game, and charming banter that doesn't advance a story can keep me going through a terrible story (example; Sonic Rush Adventure). Gameplay is king, and if that's great, I can ignore the other poor factors (example; the recent Aya and the Cubes of Light).

I'm willing to say I can put up with an annoying game if the music is amazing, but I don't really have any examples of that.

Content seems appropriate at the middle.
---
If the game gets a bad score, bash the game; if the game gets a good score, bash the reviewer. - stanthelovebot
Buy these: Fragile Dreams, Solatorobo
#63CHOVI3Posted 10/10/2011 4:31:09 PM
Fun>story>soundtrack>atmosphere>gameplay>graphics for me.
---
Please feed the trolls, they make this boards more lively.
3DS FC: 3566-1571-6130
#64Fatality_42Posted 10/10/2011 4:38:21 PM
LightHawKnight posted...
Story = Gameplay > OST > Art style/atmosphere > Graphics.

This. Exactly this. In fact, I think I am in love with you, LightHawKnight.. >_>

Just kidding... :D (About the love part)
---
I think you and my friends should hang out on the weekends.
3DS FC:4682-8693-2127
#65Marsford(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2011 4:39:36 PM
CHOVI3 posted...
Fun>story>soundtrack>atmosphere>gameplay>graphics for me.

Er...so what's fun exactly? Isn't that more or less gameplay?
---
"honestly if you don't like a system don't go to it's board right?" - Dark_type_Zero
Official Warrior General of the NDF.
#66ceedofevilPosted 10/10/2011 4:42:11 PM
Gameplay > Replay Value > Story = OST> Charm/atmos > Graphics.
---
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
#67Marsford(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2011 5:00:07 PM
Thanks guys/gals for all the replies. Didn't expect so many.

I'm most notably surprised by the high preference of replay value and the low preference for story.

It's nice to see the uniqueness in all of us. Only a few people had very similar answers.
---
"honestly if you don't like a system don't go to it's board right?" - Dark_type_Zero
#68nintendoggerPosted 10/10/2011 5:32:32 PM
Marsford posted...
nintendogger posted...
Story and plot are two different things.

IIRC, plot is how the story is organized?

I don't recognize your acronym, but here is how I would categorize them, as far as gaming goes.

Plot: Things you have to do required to advance in the game.

Story: The plot, and tons of text, background, hidden easter eggs, characters, thoughts and emotions.
---
My Nintendogs: Zelda-FrenchBulldog, Wilson-BassetHound, R.O.B.-Calico, Gatsby-Pomeranian, Molly-English Springer.
Official NDF President
#69yoda2323Posted 10/10/2011 5:47:12 PM(edited)
Gameplay > Charm/atmosphere > Graphics/art style > Replay value > OST >>> Story
Charm/atmosphere, graphics, and replay value may all be interchangeable.

Gameplay - Obviously the most important. I play video games for the gameplay. If the game isn't fun why play it?

Charm/atmosphere - Can make the difference between a 9/10 and a 10/10. Or the difference between a 9/10 and a 3/10 (in the case of TP). Or the difference between me continuing playing the game or returning it (in the case of Mega Man ZX Advent feeling too childish).

Graphics/art style - A game can still be good with bad/sub-par graphics. And a game can be so much better with good unique graphics, like Okami and Wind Waker.

Replay Value - I generally won't give a game a 10/10 if I feel that I would only play through the game once. Why own a game in the first place if you aren't going to replay it from time to time?

OST - I generally don't remember a game's soundtrack unless I played it when I was little or it has an amazing soundtrack like Galaxy or Brawl.

Story - I don't particularly care about story in video games, and I dislike many video games that start very story-heavy.
---
www.papermarioflash.proboards.com
#70Marsford(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2011 6:02:45 PM
nintendogger posted...
Marsford posted...
nintendogger posted...
Story and plot are two different things.

IIRC, plot is how the story is organized?

I don't recognize your acronym, but here is how I would categorize them, as far as gaming goes.

Plot: Things you have to do required to advance in the game.

Story: The plot, and tons of text, background, hidden easter eggs, characters, thoughts and emotions.

If I Remember Correctly = IIRC.

I was thinking of those words as they apply to all media, but your explanation seems about right. Plot just being the chain of events, and story being the where, when, who, etc.
---