What do you want in a Portable?

#1gamezero6Posted 10/12/2011 4:43:32 PM
As title states. What makes a portable, mobile or handheld a must buy? What features? Specifications? Designs? Colors? Layout? Type of games would you like for your portable gaming console?

I Love the crossplay feature that PSV and 3DS(?) will have. I dont care much if portables are as powerful as home systems tbh I still prefer 2D graphics. And I am glad portables are getting more Fighters (^_^)
---
XBL GamerTag: NamiXJin
#21geckoPosted 10/12/2011 4:50:27 PM
The ability to call people. It's why I bring my iPhone everywhere.

I don't like bringing my handhelds outside. So many chances that it could get stolen, dirty, and broken. The outside world is scary.

My iPhone, though. Everybody has one, or something pretty similar. Nobody would want to steal mine if they have one exactly like it.
---
It's "their" not "there" you 12 year old. - Diz44
#3iLLsteezePosted 10/12/2011 4:55:00 PM
people steal iphones all the time. my coworker had hers snatched while she stood outside a restaurant in broad daylight
---
You are ignoring 68 message(s) from users on this page. Manage your list here.
#4Zetsuei_8823Posted 10/12/2011 4:55:50 PM
I'm fine with just about any color other than white. White is so plain. [is aware white is absence of color]
I'd like to be able to message friends while the game is playing, and an invite option if the friend has the game.
Accounts? Maybe...
I like the clam/book design of the 3DS/DS'. It makes me feel safe that my screens won't get scratched while traveling, and if it were to fall while closed, I wouldn't be as freaked out as I would if I dropped the Vita. As for the layout, the power button/slider should be on the bottom/sides.
A browser that supports Flash/Java would be nice -- a bonus, but not a requirement.

Other than, I'm pretty okay with it.
---
- Russian Fruitcup -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHYdhKXCAgQ&feature=related
#5MicroOmegaManPosted 10/12/2011 5:09:00 PM
The games make it a "must buy".
So I think, "what do you want [from the hardware]?" is a different question entirely.

What I'd want is a good back-light, but a screen I could still see perfectly in direct sun-light (improbable). A great battery life. A nice size; if it's dual-screened, think DSi (so a bit thinner than the 3DS), if it's single-screened....think a thinner GBA SP. If you didn't guess, it's gotta be clam-shell in design. Comfortable buttons; slightly mushy d-pad, snappy face buttons and shoulder buttons, and I like the circle pad for analog controls. I really appreciate what can be done with a touch-screen, so one of those, please. As for capacitive vs. resistive.....for gaming, I think stylus control is optimal, a stylus with a stylus sized tip (no dull-crayon sized tips, thanks), and a good resistive screen will respond well to fingers anyways.

3D screen(s), camera(s), two analog sticks, blue-tooth, and some cellular wireless (or whatever 3G/4G qualify as) if only for the options. Nice speakers and a 3.5mm headphone jack (for god's sake). Graphically......it depends on the release time. Today, I'd feel that Xbox ability and better is good for a handheld. Expandable memory; being able to download titles available for full-retail, again, for the option (though for the same prices, I'd take physical copies any day).

I'm sure there are some other finer points I'm not thinking of right now. I'm not touching software level functions.
---
If the game gets a bad score, bash the game; if the game gets a good score, bash the reviewer. - stanthelovebot
Buy these: Fragile Dreams, Solatorobo
#6MicroOmegaManPosted 10/12/2011 5:11:24 PM
1gecko posted...
My iPhone. . .Nobody would want to steal mine if they have one exactly like it.

LO...
Oh. I think he's serious. Hm. Most people don't want frank advice over the internet, so why would I bother.
---
If the game gets a bad score, bash the game; if the game gets a good score, bash the reviewer. - stanthelovebot
Buy these: Fragile Dreams, Solatorobo
#7Rizaadon007Posted 10/12/2011 5:16:42 PM
Awesome games and comfortable to hold. (with or without 3rd-party grips)
---
"Eirika, Level 20, 7 strength. Should I be concerned?" -Czardia
"It doesn't take that much Str to make a sammich, so she's good." -PokeAMon
#8RogueThoughtsPosted 10/12/2011 5:22:41 PM
Games. It could have the most amazing specs, be the most amazing looking device ever created, and come in turquoise with small orange accents (my favorite color combo evur <3), but I wouldn't even want it much less buy it if it didn't have a game I wanted. Games > everything else.

Now, even though I like my PSP better than my DS, my favorite game from these two systems is a DS game. Twewy, while being an amazing just based on story and gorgeous art, utilized the DS's gimmicks so amazingly, it instantly became the standard I held all DS games against. Unfortunately, so many games didn't use the touchscreen or duel screens well, the DS vs PSP fight just boiled down to if I wanted a menu or map on a separate screen, or if I wanted the game in better graphics on a more comfortable handheld and have to suffer through pressing a button to access some items, or look at a minimap.

For the 3DS, I expect even fewer games to utilize the duel screens and touchscreen well. Most of the gameplay for a lot of games will take place on the 3D screen, making touch-based gameplay much more difficult, and games like TWEWY impossible. Sony's desire to integrate the touchscreen really interests me, and Gravity Daze is looking like the Vita's TWEWY.

Tl;dr
I want games that utilize the handheld's 'gimmicks' well.
#9DerpyHoovesPosted 10/12/2011 5:22:59 PM
Zetsuei_8823 posted...
I'm fine with just about any color other than white. White is so plain. [is aware white is absence of color].

White is actually the combination of every color of visible light that we can see.
---
Official Ace Pegasus Pony of the NDF
#10Second_ChancesPosted 10/12/2011 5:39:11 PM
Required
>Small Size
>Good Games
>Ergonomic

Preferred, but not 100% needed
>Music capabilities
>Backwards compatibility

What I wish was the standard
>Large arrange of colors at launch (At least five)

And yeah, some others too but eh
---
Second Chances sure are great. It's nice to be back, GameFAQs.
http://backloggery.com/Ground