Hideki Konno, interview part 2

#1Grim_GuyPosted 12/6/2011 9:01:36 PM
Hideki Konno discusses the meaning of life with IGN.

IGN's second exclusive interview with Mario Kart 7 developer, Hideki Konno.

To read the first part of the interview, follow this link:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997614-3ds/61266105

IGN: Last time we talked to Hideki Konno about his latest release, Mario Kart 7.
Today, we'll focus on the series as a whole.

Welcome back Konno-san! You must be looking forward to the Wii U, as more powerful hardware can only lead to new possibilities.

HK: Yes. You know, sometime I ask myself, "Why do I even bother?" New game, new system, new this, new that. Over and over-- the cycle never ends.
But then, one night, I had revelation: Mario Kart is life itself. It is a constant struggle for first place.
Blue shell is like bully, who is jealous of your success. Red shell-- like whiny, nagging person who wants to critique your work. Banana peel like lazy person, always in the way.
Green shell? Yes, like ignorant person that no one care about anyway.

(Konno-san leans forward and lowers his voice)

HK: Your favorite character not come back in sequel? That character died, just like real life.
So, you see, Mario Kart must go on, because life will go on.

IGN: Do you intend to implement the screen on the Wii U controller in the next Mario Kart? Like a rear-view mirror, perhaps?

HK: Yes, yes. Maybe. Well, no. Too many good idea lead to too many stress.

IGN: Speaking of stress... Is it true that you were locked in your office at one point during development?

HK: Some have question my ability to work well with my subordinates, but I assure you, that is simply nonsense. During development for Mario Kart 7, I did have a few incident with my team. Iwata-sama felt it was necessary to lock me in closet.

IGN: You were in solitary confinement?

HK: I would not say "solitary." A programmer died earlier in development stage, you see... Very tragic, yes. Very unfortunate.

IGN: Do people die often during development? I mean, we didn't hear anything about it...

HK: Yes, yes. You see, sometime in development, it is necessary to "let the handicapped horse roll off cliff" as Miyamoto-sama once told me. Far too late in development, some person have crazy new idea.
We have two week left, and you suggest more characters? Impossible. Then, that person disappear, and not come to work anymore. (shrugs)

IGN: This programmer that you... er, that "died" during development-- what was his name?

HK: Did you see him in Ending Credits? No? He must not have name. Watch Ending Credits again. Still nothing? What programmer? (laughs; pats his chest)

IGN: How large is a typical Mario Kart development team?

HK: It gets smaller every day. (laughs and slaps his knee)

IGN: Do you anticipate a larger team when production of the new game begins?

HK: The future is uncertain. I cannot work with ignorant people who do not share my passion for the good life.
I asked Miyamoto-sama if I may personally interview prospective team-members.
He said, "No."

IGN: How did you become involved with the original Super Mario Kart?

HK: Yes. Many years ago, I missed chikatetsu (editor: subway), so I borrow someone elses car. I am never late to work. Perhaps, I was driving too fast. (smiles)
Miyamoto-sama was looking out office window for inspiration, and saw me driving like maniac. That is how I got the job.

IGN: Wow, so your disregard for life and the law actually made you who you are today.

HK: Yes. As I said, Mario Kart is life itself.

IGN: Thank you again, Konno-san.

HK: Yes, yes. You are very fortunate.
---
"I'm not crazy-- I just don't give a darn!"
#2WillWarePosted 12/6/2011 9:05:02 PM
Grim_Guy posted...

HK: Yes. You know, sometime I ask myself, "Why do I even bother?" New game, new system, new this, new that. Over and over-- the cycle never ends.
But then, one night, I had revelation: Mario Kart is life itself. It is a constant struggle for first place.
Blue shell is like bully, who is jealous of your success. Red shell-- like whiny, nagging person who wants to critique your work. Banana peel like lazy person, always in the way.
Green shell? Yes, like ignorant person that no one care about anyway.

(Konno-san leans forward and lowers his voice)

HK: Your favorite character not come back in sequel? That character died, just like real life.
So, you see, Mario Kart must go on, because life will go on.

Epic. Pure epic-ness.
---
User==concise.
#3VyersPosted 12/6/2011 9:42:35 PM
Both threads of yours are pretty serious TOS violations, due to lacking proper attribution (IGN needs to be linked) and wholesale c/ping the contents of the article.
---
https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
#4GenoPosted 12/6/2011 9:45:33 PM
Vyers posted...
Both threads of yours are pretty serious TOS violations, due to lacking proper attribution (IGN needs to be linked) and wholesale c/ping the contents of the article.

Huh. Well, at least I got a good laugh out of that.
---
3DS: 2363 - 5923 - 1853